PDA

View Full Version : need a sob story for increased prices??

mg10117
02-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I was wondering, in general, what % did fert go up since last season...I want to tell my customers why I have to increase there fees...but what do think the most accurate number (%) of increase is?...I don’t want them to catch me in an exaggeration or a lie…what has been you experience on this topic? Thanks again...

sclawndr
02-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Most prices are up at least 40% at the moment but why worry about concocting a sob story? I explain that we use the best materials, equipment and techs and these things aren't cheap. If cheap is what a prospect wants, I walk away. When customers leave us, it's never for price. Sure, they may leave because they can't afford lawn care but that's a different story. I refuse to tie up my good resources with cheap customers.

RigglePLC
02-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Lesco gave me a copy of a Techtips, called "Future Fertilizer Pricing Outlook".
It showed the price of urea from late 2006 to 2007 had doubled. It goes on to discuss natural gas cost increases and the cost of transportation, plus the high increased world wide demand. It mentions that production in the United Sates has declined, "steadily since the year 2000."

Other threads have discussed the increases, too.

tgnb
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
It's really not your customers' business why you are raising your prices. Unless you've made a drastic increase, you probably won't hear a peep out of them anyway. You may have some call around for other quotes, but if you're competitive and treat them right, you'll end up ok. Last time one of our customers mentioned an increase, I told him that I had noticed my grocery bill was going up, too. Then he told me he appreciated what we were doing. I think he felt bad.

mg10117
02-11-2008, 02:40 PM
thanks for your help

americanlawn
02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
We never mention anything about price increase when we send out our renewal forms. It's like "out of sight ...... out of mind". We sent out 3000 renewal forms on January 1st, and so far no customers have complained about higher prices.