PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted: Sulky For A Big Dude

Green Boots
02-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I just picked up a 40" Toro Belt Drive WB, and I need a sulky now.

Thing is, i'm a big guy. 6'4' 320lb.

What is the best sulky for me and this machine?

SILVERSTREAK INC
02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
the exmark new ones are nice, they have a super fat single wheel and i loved using them, they wouldnt wear out in the 2 years i tried them but they cost over 400 each

i hear pro sildes work nice

i buy the cheapo single wheel ones but wear out 2 tires per year and the joints end up wearing out in no time and im about 120 pounds less than you

brownsallseasonlandscape
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I ve got a bull rider by trimmer trap i will sell you for two hundred. Its the heavyiest one ive seen.

BENTLEY'S
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
The only one you can even consider is the the bull rider. I weigh more than you and my bull rider has lasted years. Go to www.power41com they have the best price. I would be lost without mine.

Bentley's

Green Boots
02-11-2008, 02:29 PM
My concern is this, both of the below appear on the Bull Rider info:

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BELT DRIVE MOWERS 48" OR LESS

IMPORTANT NOTE: THE BULL RIDER SULKY SHOULD NOT BE USED ON ANY BELT DRIVE MOWER USING LESS THAN A 48" DECK

RGM
02-11-2008, 02:31 PM
what size engine on your mower how much you need to use a sulky which is sit down as opposed to a velke stand on

HenryB
02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I just picked up a 40" Toro Belt Drive WB, and I need a sulky now.

Thing is, i'm a big guy. 6'4' 320lb.

What is the best sulky for me and this machine?

No sulky is good at 320 lbs. You should slim down and not for a sulky's sake. For your own. People over 250lbs have a dramatically lowered life expectancy. I've never met you but still I'd like you to live a long and prosperous life.:waving: Walk a while once you slim down only then buy a sulky.

Green Boots
02-11-2008, 02:57 PM
No sulky is good at 320 lbs. You should slim down and not for a sulky's sake. For your own. People over 250lbs have a dramatically lowered life expectancy. I've never met you but still I'd like you to live a long and prosperous life.:waving: Walk a while once you slim down only then buy a sulky.

I am down 30 lbs in last 2 months. I am working it down after gaining 80 lbs laying in bed for 3 months following my double disc op.

I have a 38" waist and a 3x chest, and I am 6'4". I'm Big, but not round... I do walk ... a LOT :walking:

I appreciate your concern though.

Jay Ray
02-12-2008, 10:52 PM

IMPORTANT NOTE: THE BULL RIDER SULKY SHOULD NOT BE USED ON ANY BELT DRIVE MOWER USING LESS THAN A 48" DECK

That is for sure. Makes it very hard to hold a straight line. Every bump that moves the BR sulky to one side or the other moves the front of the wb in the opposite direction. This will make you weary fast.

With belt wb you need something that will jack knife in reverse, like a Jungle Jim (If you have full reverse like the old Toro 4-speeds + reverse). I don't know what the limit for operator weight is on the JJ, but imho that is the best basic design for wb belt using a wheeled sulky. I would like an option for heavier duty tires on it.

Loy's Home Services, LLC
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Pro-slide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brownsallseasonlandscape
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM

No Belt drive should be pulling a sulky especially a 48. I have 48" hydro's with one wheel velkes and I weigh approx. 160 and the front end with lift on a hill even a 52 hydro will.

RGM
02-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I weigh 230 and been using a velke on my 48'' snapper pro for at least 10 years and its belt drive but has the Dana trans

Jay Ray
02-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Certainly the front will tend to lift a little more with a sulky, that is why they make front weights. I bought an old junk x-ray machine for next to nothing and took the lead weights off the sliding picture frame and bolted them on my Toro. But all the OEM's offer front weights for a price, can't remember what I paid for Exmark weights but between $50 and $100.

On the Jungle Jim, most of the operator's weight is behind the sulky wheels, so it does not jump the front up too much.

My Toro self-steer sit-down sulky must weigh 175 lbs and I'm 200 and the little 15 yr. old Peerless 4-spd has been pulling that load for four years. I did replace the tranny belt in December, but no big deal.