PDA

View Full Version : zoysia lawn is dying!

chrisusvi
02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a lawn that is drying out no matter how much water I give it.
I gave it some Miracle Grow lawn food about four months ago because it was about time to fertilize it. About a week after the fertilzing the grass looked wonderful and it grew like crazy.
About 2 months later, it started to look like it was drying out again, I gave it Miracle Grow lawn food again and took a iron rake and raked up the thatch in the lawn thinking that the thatch was getting too thick and the water wasn't getting to the roots.
The lawn was put down as sod. It looked wonderful for the past 3 to 4 years now and its not doing well.
Do I need lime or something like that? I need to get my beautiful lawn back.
There is also a patch that turned brown and the grass died and the patch got bigger and bigger until now which is about 2 1/2 feet around and going. Is that a disease that is causing that?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

chrisusvi

lawnpro724
02-10-2008, 06:07 PM
You may have a fungus problem , as far a PH and adding lime test the lawn first to make sure it needs lime. Only water during morning so the lawn has time to dry out before evening, never water in the evening.

tbettis
02-10-2008, 06:16 PM
looks like a fungus..like brown ring or something similar. jmoa

chrisusvi
02-10-2008, 07:36 PM
What can I do to remedy the fungus problem?

chrisusvi

dave k
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Try calling a company in your area to get an idea, looks like fungus, Zoysia doesn't like a lot of fertilizer. Good luck

flascaper
02-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Too much feed. Got to get them roots growning first before you feed.

Marcos
02-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Based upon where you are, it's likely a fungus issue.

Stop feeding it !
Feeding turf that is being affected by (certain) turf fungi can worsen the problem !

Get the problem diagnosed and treated.
Then reseed / re-sod / 're-plug', or whatever, and learn from the experience, and hopefully have the right chemicals on hand, so you'll know what to do as a preventive measure next time.

Greg Amann
02-15-2008, 07:59 AM
If it is possible, I think I would pull a sample and send it to the University of Florida with the sample form attached below.
I have found nematodes to be a problem on the handful of zoysia lawns I have seen in our area.
The damage is very similar looking.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/SR/SR02300.pdf

Turfdoctor1
02-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Do you have a pet? I think you have something soil related going on. If it is a disease, it must have been there for a long time, because you are down to bare dirt. Zoysia patch diseases are very common, but that does not look like Largepatch to me. Generally you will see a reddish ring where the active disease is. What you have looks more like wear or general decline.

kirk anderson
02-15-2008, 10:36 AM
its not a watering issue.. zyoisas lawns require little or no water once established.. You either have a bug or a fungus..
Up here we experience this type of grass growing so thick that it creates a matt that does not allow it to get the proper Oxygen and it promotes fungus and disease and it .. for lack of a better word chokes itself out...
However this usually happens with people who have had this grass for ten years or so..

I would aerate it like crazy... put down some diazinon or dialox spelling??
If it doesnt come back the fungus may have already gotten it.

chrisusvi
02-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh, yes.

I do have a dog, but she has been dumping and pissing there since I put the lawn in. The grass looked great through the years and there was no problems. I really believe its a fungus.

Based on the pictures that I have posted, if the fungus is treated, will the grass fill in again?

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

chrisusvi

Marcos
02-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Based on the pictures that I have posted, if the fungus is treated, will the grass fill in again?

From what I can see...probably.
In all but the biggest, ugliest spot you showed.

If you get down on your hands and knees and and push a hand trowel into the turf, can you see a relatively thick thatch layer ?
Over, say 1/2 inch or so, on average ?
(Without getting technical, thatch is undecomposed 'stems' of the grass plant.)

If there is a thatch issue there it can be the harbinger to fungus and insect problems, in general.

A side note on dog food....

If you feed your dog "the good stuff", like IAMS, or SCIENCE DIET you won't run into the 'acid burn' issue in turf.

But the week after you buy a bag of "the cheap stuff"....beware !!:cry:

(This problem can be corrected if caught in time, though, with hand applications of pelletized lime.)

chrisusvi
02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Before I forget, what is the recommended cutting height that the lawn should be?

ted putnam
02-15-2008, 11:57 PM
You should also check it for what is called "hot spots." It looks like what I see in zoysia around here after multiple bouts of high temps with no rain. Take a long shank screwdriver and stick into the ground in the spot. If you hear it hit rock. you may have buried rock or concrete. This material won't create a problem until extended periods of high heat and little rain. Irrigation is not enough to keep it going through an extended spell. Zoysia is NOT drought tolerant.It can get somewhat dry but once it reaches a certain point it will die. We see these areas appear around July and August in our zoysias that have buried debris. The severity of the spot mostly depends on the amount of material underground. hope this helps

ted putnam
02-16-2008, 12:03 AM
You should also check it for what is called "hot spots." It looks like what I see in zoysia around here after multiple bouts of high temps with no rain. Take a long shank screwdriver and stick into the ground in the spot. If you hear it hit rock. you may have buried rock or concrete. This material won't create a problem until extended periods of high heat and little rain. Irrigation is not enough to keep it going through an extended spell. Zoysia is NOT drought tolerant.It can get somewhat dry but once it reaches a certain point it will die. We see these areas appear around July and August in our zoysias that have buried debris. The severity of the spot mostly depends on the amount of material underground. hope this helps

If it is buried debris, it's cooking the grass roots and there's only one cure...dig it up and remove the debris!

jbdavis
02-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Looks like Rhizoctonia Large Patch (zoysia patch). Best control options are strobilurin fungicides (Heritage, Compass, Insignia). You could also try banner maxx(propiconazole) a systemic fungicide that you may find in a generic form like Propiconazole pro for less $'s. Check your soil moisture before you water. Over watering will make the disease more wide spread as well as dragging the hose through the disease. After you cure the disease I would aerate at least twice a year to reduce thatch layer where this disease hibernate until conditions are right to infect the grass again. It will come back year after year. Repeated fungicide applications will be needed.
I would mow somewhere between 3/4" and 1 1/2".