PDA

View Full Version : parade of lights

pete scalia
02-10-2008, 05:20 PM
any of you guys selling tickets to a private tour of your lighting projects after dark and giving the moolah to charity? You know like the pond builders are doing. If so are they effective in selling jobs for u?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I havent tried that angle Pete. My client's would not appreciate a cavelcade of boats coming by their properties at night!

I have effectively used the unique vantage point of viewing a property from the water many times to encourage a prospect. I often supply the Lat & Long co-ordinates of some select clients to a prospect. They can then use the GPS on their boat to cruise by after dark and have a look. This is very effective.

For my 10 year anniversary, (coming up soon) I will be taking 20+ of my best clients out on a private cruise abort the 1915 steam vessel Wanda III ( http://www.realmuskoka.com/steamship_wanda.php ) I plan to pick everyone up near dusk, go for a sunset cruise, cocktails and snacks served aboard and some nice lighting veiwing opportunities on the way back.

pete scalia
02-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Is Canada another country or another planet? Sometime I wonder

Mike M
02-10-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm selling tickets to watch the Mike Murphy show. People can sit in my back seat all day.

I got a ladder rack so I wouldn't lose any more ladders, and the other day I decided to enter an automattic car wash, forgeting I had been keeping the ladder on the truck.

Hesus Christi!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm selling tickets to watch the Mike Murphy show. People can sit in my back seat all day.

I got a ladder rack so I wouldn't lose any more ladders, and the other day I decided to enter an automattic car wash, forgeting I had been keeping the ladder on the truck.

Hesus Christi!!

Oh I bet that was fun! :laugh:

I remember watching this guy in a Jetta, with two every expensive racing bicycles mounted to a rack on top of his roof drive down the road past me and turn into a covered parking garage at the grocery store... I guess he forgot the bikes were on the roof!... Im sure he never forgot them after that day!

Mike M
02-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow (ouch)!

My daughter, learning to drive a few years ago, tried to used the throttle as a break, hitting my landscape trailer and torpedoing it to the back of my garage, taking out my Trek and all family bicycles. 1,200 damage to front end of Jeep, too.

ChampionLS
02-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Mike!

I have some samples heading out your way. Going in the mail tomorrow.

James.. I'm ashamed you won't give us any thought. Accent lighting is hot, especially around the lakes here. You don't want it as a up light.. fine. Turn it up side down and you have a great niche/down light. Good for soffits.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Mike!

I have some samples heading out your way. Going in the mail tomorrow.

James.. I'm ashamed you won't give us any thought. Accent lighting is hot, especially around the lakes here. You don't want it as a up light.. fine. Turn it up side down and you have a great niche/down light. Good for soffits.

Sorry Anthony, there is virtually no demand for paver lights in my market. Also, I really don't like the look of them. All I see is the light source in my field of view.

As for using them as a soffit mounted down light. I really dont do a lot of that style of lighting... When I do, I used a proper recessed light fixture and trim that provides ample glare control.

"See the effect, not the source."

Mike M
02-10-2008, 09:43 PM
"See the effect, not the source."

James, sometimes the source is a part of the effect. I'd bet Anthony's low wattage product is close to the light levels we have reflecting off accents and structures.

Think about applications like holiday lighting--light sources. Billy's rope-light-draped-myrtle--light source. A campfire, like the pic Steve P. took. Your TV screen, your computer screen, light sources.

A lone candle on a table. The red and green markers along a channel. Torches, Fireworks, birthday candles, fireflies, Lite Brite, shooting stars, the Milky Way, the Star of Bethlehem, stained glass, the light at the end of the tunnel, Darth Vador's light saber, squid and other phosphorous sea creatures, UFO's, and rainbows, too. The expression for something enlightening: seeing the light.

At the right levels, some sources are nice to see.

SamIV
02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
What did you have as a beverage for dinner Mike?:drinkup:

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

pete scalia
02-10-2008, 10:14 PM
James, sometimes the source is a part of the effect. I'd bet Anthony's low wattage product is close to the light levels we have reflecting off accents and structures.

Think about applications like holiday lighting--light sources. Billy's rope-light-draped-myrtle--light source. A campfire, like the pic Steve P. took. Your TV screen, your computer screen, light sources.

A lone candle on a table. The red and green markers along a channel. Torches, Fireworks, birthday candles, fireflies, Lite Brite, shooting stars, the Milky Way, the Star of Bethlehem, stained glass, the light at the end of the tunnel, Darth Vador's light saber, squid and other phosphorous sea creatures, UFO's, and rainbows, too. The expression for something enlightening: seeing the light.

At the right levels, some sources are nice to see.

When there is no light it doesn't take much to create effect. Now if your trying to light large trees that's a different story.

ChampionLS
02-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Theres a saying:

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

Exactly my point!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the design advice guys.

There is an inherent difference between the outdoor lighting needs and desires of my market and most others. I think I have tapped into understanding my market better then anyone else around, and thankfully, so do my clients, the municipalities, the local press, etc.

This is a natural 'wilderness' place. People here are very cognizant of their impact on the natural environment and extremely aware of their outdoor lighting footprint. Eliminating glare, removing unshielded fixtures, eliminating light trespass and over illumination and reducing direct uplighting to the sky have become the norm here. This is not your average American community of McMansions, all striving to be the 'most noticeable'.

"Go softly into the night."

Mike M
02-11-2008, 08:00 AM
What did you have as a beverage for dinner Mike?:drinkup:

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

lol. I'm nuts with or without a beer. In the morning, the problem is my wife's coffee. It' so strong I need a doctor's prescription to drink it.

My point: "seeing the source" can be a visual objective.

Irony: the whole Dark Sky movement is so we can look into the sky and see an inifinite number of the universe's largest glare sources.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Irony: the whole Dark Sky movement is so we can look into the sky and see an inifinite number of the universe's largest glare sources.

Mike. The 'Dark Sky Movement" is SO much more then about seeing the stars at night. It may have been started by Astronomers, but it has grown and morphed over the last decade or so to be about the detrimental effects of light pollution, of which there are many to study and learn about.

Spend a night over at www.darksky.org and look into it. You just might learn a thing or ten.

Regards.

Az Gardener
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Lets see if I can bring this lightsquabble back on track. I checked the thread because I too wondered if any one had done light tours?

I have had many homes on garden tours but have never even seen a lighting tour advertised. I have given it some thought myself but the thought of strangers walking through a clients home at night is kinda creepy.

Anyone with experience please respond! Tell us how it works, is it a self guided tour where you check in and out at a property? Do you take small groups with a host person at the front and back of the group? Do you bus them from house to house?

I would really like to hear from someone who has participated in such an event.

Mike M
02-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Mike. The 'Dark Sky Movement" is SO much more then about seeing the stars at night. It may have been started by Astronomers, but it has grown and morphed over the last decade or so to be about the detrimental effects of light pollution, of which there are many to study and learn about.

Spend a night over at www.darksky.org and look into it. You just might learn a thing or ten.

Regards.

James, "seeing stars" was the impetus for the Dark Sky movement. Are you know suggesting we shield the North Star like a CAST tree light? My only point was that there are hundreds of applications in which people find it appealing to "see the light source." My other point, was what's the difference between a light source and a reflection if they both have the same candlepower? Like the moon as an example, everything reflecting any degree of light becomes it's own light source. In the end it's the effect that counts. Is it pleasing or not? Self-made rules and government regulations will struggle with that.

JoeyD
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Lets see if I can bring this lightsquabble back on track. I checked the thread because I too wondered if any one had done light tours?

I have had many homes on garden tours but have never even seen a lighting tour advertised. I have given it some thought myself but the thought of strangers walking through a clients home at night is kinda creepy.

Anyone with experience please respond! Tell us how it works, is it a self guided tour where you check in and out at a property? Do you take small groups with a host person at the front and back of the group? Do you bus them from house to house?

I would really like to hear from someone who has participated in such an event.

We have done lighting tours and regularly do what we call Illuminations. They are night time lighting showcases performed at one of your favorite projects. They are a great way to gain exposure and to show off your work. Email me or call me if you want more details.

Mike & Lucia
02-11-2008, 11:24 PM
I did a real tour last May... and everybody who attended wants to know when our next one is happening. The first of anything is always a learning experience, so with some consideration and adjustments I might just spend the money to try again this spring. (I do like the idea of changing and donating the proceeds.) Anyhow, it went like this....

The intended invitee was an active garden designer, belonging to the local chapter of the Association of Professional Landscape Designers. About a dozen attended, the remaining dozen were from mixed origin. (we'll fix the invite list next time).

All were invited to meet at a retail garden and home location where we did the lighting. wine and light dinner served. Awesome food and themes. Rave reviews. Just before dusk we boarded a VIP bus and headed out to the furthest destination. I gained permission from four clients to tour their properties with my group in tow. We chose them for many reasons, geography near the top of the list.

I spoke a bit about the objectives of each project just before arriving, and answered questions throughout. All four clients came out to great the group. One even baked us brownies!

We continued to feed desserts between each stop. Wine and champagne flowed. When we returned to the starting point, they were able to see the lighting there and get into their parked cars.

There are many things we learned. Ask away, I'll do my best to answer. And, oh yea, as a direct result one designer brought me a significant project that easily covered the cost of the outing. The buzz alone was worth it.

This year we'll do a better job of capitalizing on the effort.

Mike

pete scalia
02-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I did a real tour last May... and everybody who attended wants to know when our next one is happening. The first of anything is always a learning experience, so with some consideration and adjustments I might just spend the money to try again this spring. (I do like the idea of changing and donating the proceeds.) Anyhow, it went like this....

The intended invitee was an active garden designer, belonging to the local chapter of the Association of Professional Landscape Designers. About a dozen attended, the remaining dozen were from mixed origin. (we'll fix the invite list next time).

All were invited to meet at a retail garden and home location where we did the lighting. wine and light dinner served. Awesome food and themes. Rave reviews. Just before dusk we boarded a VIP bus and headed out to the furthest destination. I gained permission from four clients to tour their properties with my group in tow. We chose them for many reasons, geography near the top of the list.

I spoke a bit about the objectives of each project just before arriving, and answered questions throughout. All four clients came out to great the group. One even baked us brownies!

We continued to feed desserts between each stop. Wine and champagne flowed. When we returned to the starting point, they were able to see the lighting there and get into their parked cars.

There are many things we learned. Ask away, I'll do my best to answer. And, oh yea, as a direct result one designer brought me a significant project that easily covered the cost of the outing. The buzz alone was worth it.

This year we'll do a better job of capitalizing on the effort.

Mike

Mike that sounds like it was a great success. thanks for sharing.

Mike & Lucia
02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey Pete,
I'll send you an invite when we do it. It's not like LI is 3000 miles away! :walking:

pete scalia
02-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I'll be there with bells on. You pay the bridge tolls? How bout the Joisey tpke?
You get fleeced getting into and driving through that state, I'll tell you. God forbid those troopers with the funny hats pull you over it's curtains, curtains.