PDA

View Full Version : Doubles On Shorcut

cajuncutter
11-04-2001, 12:40 AM
Anyone out there attempe doubles on a shortcut yet?
if so how did you do it? I would love to set them up for leaf season.

crs
01-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Cajuncutter,

Sorry I did not read this before leaf season. Yes I do run doubles on my Shortcut. For leaves this fall I ran double gator blades and was pleased with the results. I notched the blade saddles on my unit so the bottum blade sits firmly against the top blade. This required removing about an eighth of an inch of material (in depth) from the outside rails in the center of the saddle. I used a grinder and put a gentle radius on the lowered area so as not to promote stress cracks.

My unit is has a 48" side discharge deck and a 20hp Kohler engine. It works fine, but if I had known I was going to run the doubles when I got the machine I would have opted for a little more reserve power.

Hope this helps.

cajuncutter
01-04-2002, 10:30 PM
CRS
Thank you for the reply..you are a little late:rolleyes: Well leaf season is over for me..way over however!! This info will come in useful next season. I have a 54 side discharge and a 22 comand. This may be enough power. The thing I do like about these shortcutts is the ability to pull a wheely and ride it right into a massive pile of leafs. I do not think I will be able to do that with doubles though. This stunt alone takes a bit of the power out of the engine when you come down on the pile.

Doc Pete
03-23-2002, 09:18 PM
I'm running Doubles on my walkbehind 48. The new thicker Gators with the higher sail are terrific. There's enough blow power from the blades that you can mow n' blow at the same time. Hope this helps.
Pete