PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Buttonweed

tbrom
02-11-2008, 07:50 AM
I am looking for a good way to get rid of Virginia Buttonweed in an established St. Augustine lawn. It appeared last year in spots and now it is starting to pop up again. What works the best and when is it a good time to apply it? Thanks for the help!!!!

ted putnam
02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I am looking for a good way to get rid of Virginia Buttonweed in an established St. Augustine lawn. It appeared last year in spots and now it is starting to pop up again. What works the best and when is it a good time to apply it? Thanks for the help!!!!

Metsulfuron-methyl (Manor). It does a great job of controlling/suppressing Virginia Buttonweed. Spray it when everything is actively growing. Unfortunately, you will probably never eradicate it. You may have to spray it 2-3 times per season. It is safe in St Aug,Bermuda,Zoysia and Centipede.

tbrom
02-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the information Ted!

wrivers
02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Metsulfuron-methyl (Manor). It does a great job of controlling/suppressing Virginia Buttonweed. Spray it when everything is actively growing. Unfortunately, you will probably never eradicate it. You may have to spray it 2-3 times per season. It is safe in St Aug,Bermuda,Zoysia and Centipede.

This is all good info. The only thing I might add is try to hit it in May before it is in flower, then again in June. You said it is a lawn (i'm guessing residential), but if it's non-residential you can use Ronstar to stop it from coming from seed. The bad news is, if it is residential and you can't use Ronstar, there is going to be a lot of seed and subsequent applications. Just don't use too many SU apps/year or you'll have some yellow St. Augustine.

ted putnam
02-12-2008, 05:36 PM
This is all good info. The only thing I might add is try to hit it in May before it is in flower, then again in June. You said it is a lawn (i'm guessing residential), but if it's non-residential you can use Ronstar to stop it from coming from seed. The bad news is, if it is residential and you can't use Ronstar, there is going to be a lot of seed and subsequent applications. Just don't use too many SU apps/year or you'll have some yellow St. Augustine.

Good news wrivers. Just thought I'd let you know. I saw something in my Landscape Management Magazine I got the other day that they are changing the label on Ronstar to include residentials. I'll take another look at it to get some specifics.

wrivers
02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Good news wrivers. Just thought I'd let you know. I saw something in my Landscape Management Magazine I got the other day that they are changing the label on Ronstar to include residentials. I'll take another look at it to get some specifics.

That IS good news. It'll help me out on a couple of lawns I'll tell you.

ted putnam
02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
That IS good news. It'll help me out on a couple of lawns I'll tell you.
I found it.
It was in a column called " In the Know". Bayer Evironmental Science announced the label revision was recently approved by the EPA.