PDA

View Full Version : All Pro and Lark trailers cheap on Ebay-Why?

4 seasons lawn&land
02-11-2008, 08:13 PM
These two seem to be substantially cheaper brand new than alot of used ones. Does anyone know if they are junk or what? They look nice from the pics...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=enclosed+trailer&category0=

FIRESCOOBY
02-11-2008, 09:31 PM
There's a Lark dealer near me. Before I bought my Horton I looked at them closely. The price was nearly $2k lower than the Horton. The construction on the Lark was noticeably less (stud spacing, floor decking, etc). After looking them over closely and talking to several Horton owners, I went with the Horton.

NOW, after owning the Horton...if I had to do it all over again...I would buy a cheaper trailer. There are a lot of construction flaws in my trailer I don't like. I think mine was made on a Monday by some guys that were REALLY hungover!! My trailer was a tad over $5800.00. I could have bought a cheaper brand for a lot less.

tamadrummer
02-11-2008, 09:42 PM
All-Pro is out of Jacksonville, FL and as far as I know they are a good trailer distributer. My 5x14 is an All Pro and is very well built. My local John Deere dealer sells them as do all of the Highland Turf and Tractor branches.

As to why they are on ebay, I don't know. However I would recommend one based only on my experience with them. It has been good.

Johnson LCO
02-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Look at a Lark trailer in person before you buy. Believe me, when you compare Lark with one like Haulmark or Wells Cargo your choice will be clear. Enough said.

brucec32
02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm not familiar with those, but make sure whatever you get you go with quality. I spent $950 on a really solid but relatively light duty single axle over 10 years ago. It's still doing fine. I could probably sell it for $500 today. So it's cost me $45 a year. That's maybe $10/year more than the cheapo version I didn't get. Extrapolate the numbers for a more expensive unit, it's still not much difference.

Then think about the safety factor and how much your rely on your trailer to not have problems that cause you delays and cost money and time.

Finally the better the construction the better it'll look down the line when you decide to sell it, so you'll recoup the added cost then.

That doesn't mean higher price is always higher quality, though.

One thing I see missing on many trailers out there is a solid high quality wheeled "foot" up front to support the weight when unhitched and allow moving it around to hook up. Another is quality welds on any expanded metal mesh ramps and such. Spend the money required for good trailer brakes also. The more "homemade" a trailer is vs one made by a big company or a small one of longstanding, the more likely someone cut some corners.

mag360
02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
We have an all pro dump trailer. 7x14 13,200# gvw. Build quality is pretty good. Paint is weak in a few spots but no big deal.

tconn
02-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Those trailers are made with the cheapest Chinese parts available at the time. The axles are problematic, the screws rust quickly, the front cap cracks (it's fiberglass). I would definately recommend a Pace American (Summit or Journey-Summit model) or a Wells Cargo. You definately get what you pay for!

wayside
02-13-2008, 03:04 AM
go with a well's cargo or a pace summit

Rons Rightway Lawncare
07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I've had a Lark for a year now and it has been good other than quickly wearing out the tires. I hit a tree with it yesterday and crushed the upper left corner ( turning clockwise in a tight culdesac and wasn't paying attention to the trees jutting out of one yard.... ) anyway I hit that tree doing at least 8 mph and it stopped the truck and trailer instantly, faster than I could stop it with the brakes. Crushed the corner in and looks like hell, but the damage was far less than I expected considering the energy it absorbed

topsites
07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't know much about enclosed but I do know there's specifications,
to which there exist limits, all of which add up to tolerance margins.

Let me explain...
I spent good money on my single axle 6x12, $1,500 8 years ago, new.
It is rated to carry a LIMIT of 3 thousand pounds.

Now I'm really not trying to brag about the coolness of this because it's not cool,
but rather than making two trips I've loaded 4 thousand pounds on it more than
a few times.

I can't say the trailer enjoys being overloaded, it has over the years slightly bent
the frame but unless you look real close it's not visible, and it wears tires.
The axle and all the welds and everything else, however, appears intact.

So the real question is...

How much can a cheaper trailer tolerate?
It's not that I recommend overloading on purpose, hopefully you never have to.
But what if someone makes a mistake?

Paying the good money for a decent trailer is worth the peace of mind to me.

precision8m
09-07-2012, 09:30 AM
We have an all pro dump trailer. 7x14 13,200# gvw. Build quality is pretty good. Paint is weak in a few spots but no big deal.

Mag360,

Now that you have had your All Pro Trailer for several years, how was your experience with it? I am looking at getting a dump trailer soon and these guys are 3k cheaper than the quality ones. How do they do it? Is it a quality trailer?

FryDaddy
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I have an All Pro 6.4'x16' open trailer and it has treated me well. Build quality is good. I've never pushed it near its load limits though, so I can't really say if it would fall apart, but im happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

01thump
09-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I have owned a few trailers over the years I just sold my 7x14 All Pro goose neck dump 14,000lbs I have a 7x12 open lawn trailer from them as well never had issues with either one bought both used they do just fine I will NEVER own a triple crown I have seen a couple of there trailers complete junk welds and workmanship...I also own a 36ft enclosed wells cargo which is built like a tank and I love it 12 inch on center beams its rated at 25,000lbs it will never see that but from the looks of the trailer would not have a problem carrying it...when I go enclosed again for my lawn trailer needs it will be a Wells Cargo..I think All pro is cheaper than what you have been seeing because of location..everything above Florida which is where these are made seems to be more expensive trailers in general are pretty darn cheap here in Florida I think ..there are deals to be had I surf Craigs list all the time for them..All pro is a good trailer and I would buy another since I have had good luck with them..

Chilehead
09-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Can't speak for Lark, but Big Tex trailers are built like a tank.