PDA

View Full Version : beef it up in 2002

BufalinoLand
11-04-2001, 07:47 PM
well boys and girls my 3rd season of work is over. I dont plow so im in the works of getting ready to diversify for 2002. I generally do maintenance I have a turf tiger a walk Behind, the general setup for maintenance. I employ 1 or 2 laborers and work some by myself. I live in Edinboro PA about 20 miles away from erie a city of 100000. DO i do more maintenence or look to actually go after some actual new instalation landscaping. Im 28 and love to work. so I want to make my money while im young. can anyone give me input. I make money now, but im noticing that I may work too hard for it. thanks alot.

Runner
11-04-2001, 08:11 PM
Why is your season over? This is one of the absolute busiest times of the year! We're working seven days!

cos
11-04-2001, 08:21 PM
Leaves?

BufalinoLand
11-04-2001, 08:38 PM
I did some leaf jobs and im not geared toward these jobs this year. I have a eb6200 and just purchaseda Littel wonder 8 horse but am in need of a tailgate vac. Im hitting leaves hard next season. Spending another 2 g's right now is not in the budget.

Runner
11-04-2001, 08:44 PM
You have a Little Wonder 8 hp blower, and a Turf Tiger, and you say you're not geared for leaves?
Boy, if you're gonna make it in this business, you need to learn that you need to UTILIZE your equipment! Keep that stuff out in the field WORKING for you. It's too valuable to just have sitting there. You could be making aLOT of money every day right now. It's too easy! Just knock on some doors! You could make enough money to buy a vac if that's what you want. You DON'T "NEED" a tailgate vac. While they're nice, and all, tarps work just fine. They've worked for ME for twenty years! Get it while the gettin's good!

65hoss
11-04-2001, 09:56 PM
I agree with Runner. You want to diversify next year, but why not right now? Your only talking a few months until its next year. Take full advantage to your equipment. If nothing else find some work just mulching leaves with your Turf Tiger. Leaves are usually easy enough you can do it by yourself if you don't want to pay any labor. I did most of my leaf jobs last year solo. Nice making that money for me only. The average per hour is usually higher during leaf season.

gogetter
11-04-2001, 10:51 PM
I agree with Runner. Either run an ad in local paper just for leaf clean ups (I just saw a couple of these in todays paper!).

Or go hand out 500 flyers in a neighborhood that you want to work in (read that as homes with leaves, but not too many!), just advertising leaf clean ups. If you only get 5 or 6 out of it, that could put you alot closer to getting that tailgate loader, maybe even pay for it in full.

Runner
11-05-2001, 08:22 PM
Jon,
It FIGures YOU would agree with this! The name "gogetter" pretty much sums it up!:D You HAVE- to- be -a- hustler- to- be- in- this- business. I've seen ALOT of 'em come, and ALOT of 'em go...

edward hedrick
11-05-2001, 09:12 PM
I have an 8hp fradan, a Scag Sthm w doubles + 52 Lesco w doubles and GrassGobblers + back packs. What Else do you need? We work till Dec or snow. Lesco started selling Giant
18 cuft leaf bags. Mulch em, pick up with catcher put in woods or in bag. Do your lawn customers several times Its easier once a
week than all at once.

ronslawncare
11-05-2001, 09:26 PM
i think you stay busier when theres leaves than maintenance actually.you should seriously think about .....