PDA

View Full Version : Gas Powered Portable Air Compressor???

Blyth
02-12-2008, 12:21 AM
I am not sure if this is the right spot for this thread...but I was unsure of where to put it.. and I spend most all of my time lurking in this section of the forum.

I am looking for suggestions as to what brand I should purchase of the wheelbarrel type portable gas powered air compressors. I would appreciate any input that anybody might have. I will be looking for a used one to purchase more than likely.. Anyway.. let me hear your suggestions.

Thanks

Gravel Rat
02-12-2008, 12:54 AM
What ever compressor you choose make sure it has a Honda engine if it has any other brand you will be cursing when the POS doesn't start.

Ingersol Rand probably makes the best but the other brands are just as good.

KTM
02-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Go with a Rol-air brand, We have had many of them in the last 25 years. We just purchased new tanks for are shop compressor which is almost 20 years old. We have gas ones with Kohler, Honda, and Robin's motors, the ones with the Robin's engines are the best in my opinion but, you will not go wrong with the other choices. When the Robin's go bad you can pick up a new engine for under $400 and they start the best. Rol-Air's are not that much more than compressor's that you sea in the chain stores and you will always be able to get parts for them, I see These things 10+ years old with 40+ hours a week on them still going. I bet you can get good deals on used ones with construction down the hill and people going out of buisness.

Blyth
02-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I guess I could spell it right to begin with.. wheelbarrow compressors. :)

Sunscaper
02-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I bought an Emglo twin tank with a 5.5 Honda last year for $150.00 I only bought it because Emglo used to be manufactered in my Hometown Johnstown, Pa. It might come in handy when I put the roof on the house I'm building. What are you going to use your's for? Mine basically collects dust now in my trailer.

YellowDogSVC
02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I use the Cambell hausfield from Home Depot. 5 hp honda and it has served me since '02 or '03. Use it every day. Powers impact wrench, air guns, and other tools and when I have a flat and 50' of hose, it helps. The new one home depot carries is about $700 and looks heavy duty and has a honda motor.

Sunscaper
02-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Yellow dog,
Do you mount yours on your lowboy trailer or truck?

Blyth
02-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have to put a new roof on my house.. that is one thing that I am going to use it for. I want one to keep on my truck to keep my machine blown off as well as if I have a flat or whatever else that I might need it for.

RockSet N' Grade
02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
To give you a better answer other than just brand, what are you going to use your compresssor for. If it is to run a finish nail gun or run a couple framing nail guns that is a whole different ball game than running a spray gun or impact wrench. The tank volumn plays an important role in each of your choices. You can go to any website and they compare volumn with tools and which compressor will suit your needs best.

RockSet N' Grade
02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Blyth, if thats all you need, a little pancake compressor or small twin tank will do.

Blyth
02-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I am wanting/needing something that is more mobile. I may not have given a good answer above.. just as an idea of what I am doing.. I am trying to get started in pretty much the same business as YellowDogSVC. Hopefully that will give you more of an idea or picture. I have talked to YellowDog quite a bit.. he has been a great help to me. I do appreciate all of the opinions and suggestions.

Does that help?

Construct'O
02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Blyth, if thats all you need, a little pancake compressor or small twin tank will do.

I agree with the above if not needing a lot of air volume.But if your going to be running impact wrenchs and other high volume tools.You need a high volume sized compressor,especially if you try to hammer off large tight bolts that is burred up.

As in if your doing repair on your mower or mulcher if that be the case.I know not eveyone agrees ,but most of the time bigger is usully more useful or it is for me.Good luck what ever you choice.:usflag:

YellowDogSVC
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Yellow dog,
Do you mount yours on your lowboy trailer or truck?

I have a flatbed truck and keep the compressor right next to a 37gallone transfer tank. Not much space on an 8.5' flatbed so I went with the wheelbarrow compressor. Hose rolls up next to it, and I can take it into the woods to have it near where I am mowing or grinding. I love having one to blow the crap off me at the end of the day or just clean something up before I need to make a repair. Have even been able to blow chips off a driveway. I don't have a real powerful one at only 8.5 cfm, but it does the job. Ingersoll rand has one that's compact that puts out 11 or 13 cfm @90psi.
If you look closely at pic, you can see the compressor on the back. It's yellow. I have thought about mounting one on the chipper but the Vermeer sheet metal is thin. Unless I rigged something on the tongue, I don't know how I could do it plus that thing doesn't need any more tongue weight.

RockSet N' Grade
02-12-2008, 04:45 PM
YellowDog.....I have one of those twin tank types. Had it for over 30 years....I have run two framing nail guns in production work all day long and I use it as a back up. Good all around size for portability if you are out by your lonesome. Alot of guys build a stand and raise it up off the floor behind the headache rack to utilize more floor space. A hose reel is magic......I just installed a hose reel for my fuel hose that is self retracting that I mounted under my trailer bed to save deck space. As soon as the snow melts and I can get to my trailer, I'll take some pics........pretty custom set up if I do say so myself.

YellowDogSVC
02-12-2008, 09:22 PM
YellowDog.....I have one of those twin tank types. Had it for over 30 years....I have run two framing nail guns in production work all day long and I use it as a back up. Good all around size for portability if you are out by your lonesome. Alot of guys build a stand and raise it up off the floor behind the headache rack to utilize more floor space. A hose reel is magic......I just installed a hose reel for my fuel hose that is self retracting that I mounted under my trailer bed to save deck space. As soon as the snow melts and I can get to my trailer, I'll take some pics........pretty custom set up if I do say so myself.

I made a mistake of putting the hose reel above on the flatbed and it rusted enough make the mechanism not roll up correctly.

CarterKraft
02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
From my days as a aircooled tech for a nationwide equipment rental company, Emglo with the GX series Honda engine... NOT THE OVERHEAD CAM GS/GC SERIES.

The overhead cam engine is a disposable engine made to be used and replaced. they make good power but are not a commercial engine. For what its worth.

YellowDogSVC
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
I think the light duty Hondas have a light blue or bluish green "honda" on them. The hd versions are the red ones, right?

Cooter
02-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Go with the Rol-Air and you will be happy. Will last you a very long time with the proper care. They make some models that deliver quite a few cfm also.

Blyth
02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
I will have to do some looking around for a rol-air dealer and see.. Locally.. I have a Tractor Supply Company, Home Depot, and a few locally owned hardware stores. Home Depot, in passing, had a Rigid brand wheel barrow style. TSC had the IR brand. I was just wanting some opinions and appreciate all that I have gotten.

Thanks

KTM
02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Around here you have to go to a more specialized store to get a Rol-Air I do know of a big Ace Hardware that carry's them though. CarterKraft said Emglo brand and he is right they are good But, now there starting to sell more generic ones, you will see those for sale under Dewalt at stores like Home Depot there not as good as the true Emglo. You will not be disappointed in the Rol-Air you can always get parts and there priced very reasonable. Good luck.

YellowDogSVC
02-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Blyth, for what you want to do, the Rigid will work fine. they are relatively easy to service and I have only replaced belt 1x in 5 years with the CH. The rigid is slightly more powerful than the CH I bought 5 years ago and a smarter design. The next closest in price is the IR compressor at TSC which you have in town. IR is a good brand and has a smart design as well.

RockSet N' Grade
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
YellowDog/Blythe: I just went to dewalt website and they have several designs. The one that struck my fancy had a 5.5 hp, 10.5 gallon tank with a "roll cage" around it. It looked as though it was the most protected may be a consideration for the back of a truck or rig. I would almost say design and air capacity with a GX engine would be more important than the brand. In fact, I would suggest if we researched it....most of these units are most likely made by two or so manufacturers and rebranded at the retail level.

YellowDogSVC
02-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I had hoped to find an electric one that would tie into the DC on my truck. I have looked at onboard compressor systems but since I have a PowerJoke 6.0, I am afraid to add anything other than hooks for the tow truck.

CarterKraft
02-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeh the GX will have the red fan shroud, and they are the hands down best engine in this HP range.

I figured Emglo had starting producing there own line of junk, figures.
The one I was referring to is the steel compressor unit with all the good quality parts, expanded metal belt guard etc.

Something else I just thought of is the generator/compressor combos.

I don't know anything about them but if they have a half decent one that would be real convinient.

Blyth
02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
I would suggest if we researched it....most of these units are most likely made by two or so manufacturers and rebranded at the retail level.

I kind of have the same idea in the back of my head also.

Blyth
02-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Blyth, for what you want to do, the Rigid will work fine. they are relatively easy to service and I have only replaced belt 1x in 5 years with the CH. The rigid is slightly more powerful than the CH I bought 5 years ago and a smarter design. The next closest in price is the IR compressor at TSC which you have in town. IR is a good brand and has a smart design as well.

I feel like the Rigid would work fine for me as well.. you know more so what I intend to use it for. I have looked a bit for some CH brand ones.. but I have not found one yet. As it was said earlier.. I would almost bet that there are only a couple of manufacturers of these things that sell them rebranded... I am still going to keep my eye out for a used one.. but all of the used ones that I have found(very few) were priced about $100-$250 less than what I can get a new one for. Given my location, I would have to drive at least a couple of hours just to get any of the used ones that I have found. Thus, costing money in fuel. I am kind of thinking that I might as well by a new one.