PDA

View Full Version : Doing Weed Control For Lawn Mowing Guys

xtremelawn
02-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I have talked to a couple of mowing guys in my area that do not offer a Fert or Weed control program. Do any of you guy do this for other company's.If so do you give them a % "HOW MUCH". Do you bill them or do you bill their customer? Just trying to get so ideas i'm going to meet with these guys this week.

Thanks

garydale
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
About 30% of our customer base are "mow guys".
We cut their price up as much as 20% off so they can markup for the customer.
Alot is based on their payment history etc.

humble1
02-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I prefer to work with the homeowner, in case i need to go to court plus liability etc.

RigglePLC
02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I didn't give a discount. But it seldom worked out well. The mowing people were slow in paying. And they always wanted less nitrogen!

rcreech
02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I am not big on this as I want to work directly with the customer!

If I am doing a lawn...then I want control.

I want to be able to talk to the customer, send them my newsletter and plus it also screws up my billing!

I do some of this, but not much!

Will probably do less in the future!

lawnservice
02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
working with the mowing guys in your area is a good way to build your business.

with that being said....I prefer to bill customer directly (mowing guys are very slow paying and very demanding, like they call you on a Tuesday for a new lawn they just got and want you there as soon as they hang up the phone....but wont pay you till they are 60 days or over)

We do subcontract ourselves to several maitenance guys in our area. These are all well established companies and pay us within 30 days (sometimes I do need to call them to remind them they owe). We've worked with these guys long enough that they know we'll do our best to make them look good and that we will adress any concerns, whether it is a service call or a new client they picked up, on our schedule and we'll not make them wait to long.

Be very cautious of a new guy in business. Though he/she may be decent people if their customers are slow paying them you can expect to be last on the list of bills they need to pay and if you're doing a few dozen lawns for them that can hurt your cash flow for sure.

Regardless if we bill the homeowner direct or if we bill the landscaper we get all the info of the lawn owner (ie. name, mailing address, pets, locked gates) all the ussual stuff. Everyone gets a newsletter from us.

Paul Klose
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Working with Lawn Care companies that do not offer chems is what my company does, might get a residential here and there but the focus is on local LCO's. It opens everything up, quality program, networking, building a good repore to weed out the lowballers. We do offer a discount depending on number of properties given for work... Lawn Care company has 100 properties and subs out 50 of them, the discount would be less at 50 then say 75. Also offer a non-compete clause.

MnLefty
02-12-2008, 01:05 PM
I have talked to a couple of mowing guys in my area that do not offer a Fert or Weed control program. Do any of you guy do this for other company's.If so do you give them a % "HOW MUCH". Do you bill them or do you bill their customer? Just trying to get so ideas i'm going to meet with these guys this week.

Thanks

Don't forget that it can work the other way as well. You can contact the mowers and have them sub for you, while you sell and bill the customer. Pro's and con's both ways, the biggest pro being you are in control of the the situation in dealing with the customer and the quality of work done by subs. Of course it does make for more paper work and administrative time on your end, which many can't stand.