PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping Van

ewmesko
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, I am thinking about buying an econoline or safari van to run maintnence out of this year. What do you guys think about that for towing a trailer and storing everything else inside van. Does anyone have one and can give me some insight. Im wondering about fumes and other such things that go along with a work van.

Thanks,

Eric

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
I dont know about you but i just wouldnt feel comfortable carrying around gas in a van. But thats JMHO. Other than that i think it would be great as far as keeping things dry and secure, but i would think it would get tiring climbing/leaning in the van to get trimmers or other tools out if you use them on a regular basis. I guess it just would depend on what you plan on putting in the van and what you plan to keep on the trailer. Also i would probably go with the Econoline, they are a little more "truck like" and would be able to tow a trailer alot better than a safari.

GravelyNut
02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Vans are fine as long as fumes go as long as you follow a few safety rules/
1. Must have rear windows that open.
2. Must have roof vent.
3. Must be driven with the front winows down and rear one open.
4. Should have vents on the doors to direct air directly into the cab. :laugh: Try finding that now days.
5. Vent and rear windows must be open when parked.
6. Gasoline filled items should be removed at the end of the day and stored somewhwere else.

A box van would actually be a better vehicle for that use.

barefeetny
02-12-2008, 03:57 PM
i run a box truck and love it... fumes still suck... I'm a windows down type of guy anyway.. so no big deal... i mounted a milk crate to the back floor so its easy to fill. cans can't slide and spill....

check out u-haul, i went another way but they are low to the ground

you can buy non powerstoke desials 12 foot box 10+2 upper box for about 2500-5000... paint the cab if your so inclined and off to the races..

Nate

Lawnworks
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Why do you want a van besides being able to misc items in the back?

packey
02-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I used vans for several years with the schools. they are ok but I would prefer a truck with a utility body and racks. You can have all your stuff in the compartments neatly stored Put you some weedeater racks on top of the side boxes. Your pole pruner and ladder go on the overhead rack you stil have a 4x8 cargo area for plants, mulch and other things. Just put your mowers on a trailer behind you. You useually can find a decent utiltiy truck from a utility company.

larryinalabama
02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
i run a box truck and love it... fumes still suck... I'm a windows down type of guy anyway.. so no big deal... i mounted a milk crate to the back floor so its easy to fill. cans can't slide and spill....

check out u-haul, i went another way but they are low to the ground

you can buy non powerstoke desials 12 foot box 10+2 upper box for about 2500-5000... paint the cab if your so inclined and off to the races..

Nate

Barefeetny how big is your box van, what do you use for ramps? Im looking at a cheyy g30 with a 16' box. also I can get a ford with a 12' box and electric lift for 2500.

barefeetny
02-13-2008, 09:12 AM
my truck is 14 feet long

Since mine sits high i originally had A large gate setup (like home cheapo specials)... that i had welded to the back lip.. it was way to heavy amd i would have to hump it up then climb on the bumper to pin it...

then i went and got 2 2x12x10s pressure treated planks.... 6 large peices of L shelf/corner support... i attached the supports to the end of the planks and then welded a peice of rectangle stock to the back lip

i attached 1 large door pull to the 2" side

i can easily slide them out of the truck, and drop the L into the rectangle slot... the nice part is its impossible to kick the planks out and i can make them as wide or narrow as i need

the electric lift sounds like a winner...Allright back out to plow this mess

Nate

larryinalabama
02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=barefeetny;2150819]my truck is 14 feet long

Since mine sits high i originally had A large gate setup (like home cheapo specials)... that i had welded to the back lip.. it was way to heavy amd i would have to hump it up then climb on the bumper to pin it...

then i went and got 2 2x12x10s pressure treated planks.... 6 large peices of L shelf/corner support... i attached the supports to the end of the planks and then welded a peice of rectangle stock to the back lip

i attached 1 large door pull to the 2" side

i can easily slide them out of the truck, and drop the L into the rectangle slot... the nice part is its impossible to kick the planks out and i can make them as wide or narrow as i need

the electric lift sounds like a winner...Allright back out to plow this mess

Nate[/Q
Good idea IM leaning towards the 16" Chevy it has a pull out moving ramp mabey that aand a couple of 2x12 will do the trick.

ewmesko
02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I want a van to be able to put plants, wheelbarrows, leaf blowers, trimmers etc. You can find diesel vans for that cheap??? I drive with the windows down too so I dont think the fumes will be that bad. I guess the most important thing is if they tow well.

Lawnworks
02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Why not get a box truck? You can find the GMC or Chevy box vans really cheap. They probably pull pretty well to. Are dead set against having all of your equipment on the box truck w/ a dovetail?

packey
02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I want you to understand that a van is not all it is cracked up to be. I would believe their to be sevral choices that would do what you want and give you a better vehicle. if you are set on a van then you need to find a 1 ton van. but I believe you will decide after using it for a while that you should have gone another direction. This is experience talking. I have used both a dodge grand caravan and a 1 ton ford econoline. I will not go back to either one. I would prefer a truck or van cutaway with a service body. look on ebay that should give you an idea of what is out their. I know knaphied builds a service body on a ford van that had boxes and storage that is accesible from the outside and yet you still have a fully enclosed 5 ft high area for putting wheel barrows or plants. another way to go is get a box van especially if you are not wanting to have a trailer. then you can have all your equipment in the rear of the van . Again I will stress a regular van is not as practicle as it seems

larryinalabama
02-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Why not get a box truck? You can find the GMC or Chevy box vans really cheap. They probably pull pretty well to. Are dead set against having all of your equipment on the box truck w/ a dovetail?

What is a dovetail? is it a ramp system? Im looking for a 1ton van with a 16' box but Im still not sure of what type of ramp I will use

Lawnworks
02-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Here is what I am talking about.

larryinalabama
02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Here is what I am talking about.

Hey thanks I like it. Any info on where to purchase one? Thanks again

Lawnworks
02-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Hey thanks I like it. Any info on where to purchase one? Thanks again

I know you can get one installed in Griffin, GA for about $1500-1800.

ewmesko
02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Not that busy enough yet to buy a big truck like that hahahaha I think Im just going to get a new pickup and put an ez dump in it instead. I just really hate the though of leaving all my stuff on the trailer where it can get stolen

packey
02-15-2008, 08:22 PM
get an enclosed trailer.

Looking Good Lawn Service
02-17-2008, 12:19 AM
When I was working for a landscaper in the end of high school, years ago, we used a 1987 Econoline 150 with air shocks for suspension upgrade, and pulled a small open trailer with 1 48 inch scag and 21 lawnboy, trimmer and blower. we put barrels of grass in the back of the van along with tools(we had all the racks and bins) worked fine. when we needed to empty grass or whatever, we just met up with one of the dump trucks, or the woods,lol.

GCLC
02-17-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't know how well a van would work for landscaping, but I'm a plumber and can tell you that a van (econoline, express, any full size) would definitely be able to tow a landscape trailer. Depending on the trailer you'd want a 3/4 or 1 ton. I'd look for a 1 ton, I know on the Chevy's there are more heavy duty parts going from 2500 to 3500 than 1500 to 2500.

We tow a jetter filled with 600 gallons of water that probably weighs nearly 10k lbs and a track hoe (not at same time), not sure what it weighs.

ewmesko
02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
A friend of mine has a car dealership, he called me about a 97 f250 hd. Its extended cab 8 ft. bed, really clean only 68000 miles for about 9000. What do you guys think???

larryinalabama
02-21-2008, 11:38 AM
A friend of mine has a car dealership, he called me about a 97 f250 hd. Its extended cab 8 ft. bed, really clean only 68000 miles for about 9000. What do you guys think???

Not a bad deal if thats the truck you really want, if your looking for a particular truck hold out. Im thinking the price of used big trucks may come down a bit due to the high gas prices.

Lawnworks
02-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Assuming it is not a diesel.... does not sound like a deal. You will have to pay sales tax on that as well.

ewmesko
02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Really?? The blue book is 8700, what would you pay for a truck like that? I already went down to look at it and its clean and runs great

Lawnworks
02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I think 5k would be a deal. Blue book is usually high in my opinion. The price is really $9600 w/ sales tax.

mike lane lawn care
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
This was my setup for a long time, worked great for me. and the vehicle wasn't bad for a $500 cargo van.