PDA

View Full Version : Newer ferris IS 1500 Kawasaki 21 hp runs ??

turfeater
02-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I have been starting up my new mower from time to time this winter and last week it started to run very rich after a minute or two ,, I checked the choke and its opening and closeing the butterfly . It.poors out black smoke from loading up ..
Started it again this week and same thing....kaw 21 hp 06 ferris IS1500

Before I take to dealer anything I could check ? only has 40 hrs !

Thanks already rt

JustCut
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I had the same problem with 50 or so hours on mower. The problem was that a small and I mean small piece of dirt got into the carb. this was removed and 300 plus hours later never a problem.

bruno_rs
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
agreed... all it may take is a "spec" of dirt and/or moisture to mess up the carb. with the engine running, try spraying carb cleaner in the throat and see if that doesn't solve the problem before disassembling anything. always keep your filters clean... especially with the kawi's. good luck. have a good one.

shop22
02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I have had some problems with the kawi engines on the 1500's. The rubber tipped inlet needle was not sealing properly and letiing the unit flood out. The needle is like $15 but its and easy fix. Done this three times last year and it solved all the problems. Usually happened within the first 50 hours.

johnp900
02-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Check the spark plugs first. Kawasaki's are prone to foul if the unit does not get up to operating temperature. Also some unburned gas may be in the oil.

sawman65
02-13-2008, 11:21 AM
if you start and stop a kaw with out letting it get up to normal operating tem it WILL foul the plugs no if ands or buts about it.they may be bad by now get you some new plugs and stop the starting and stoping unless you let it run for 20 min. or so to fully warm up

turfeater
02-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the input ,,Will try to get to it this weekend
rt

turfeater
02-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Now that Iv'e had some time to chew on the responses ,,I'm thinking This is
not sounding like a commercial grade engine ! I have always leaned towards kohler ,but decided to give kaw a try as I have heard good things till now ! ..

In MHO.... a new engine should not have to have the float valve changed once--- let alone several times in less the 200 hours !

Also there should be no dirt in it,, as its filtered with only 40 hours !!
I take good care when filling ,,and its donaldson air equiped .

None the less it's covered ,,so I'll just take it in ,,Just hopeing this won't be a recurring problem. If so by taking it in I'll have a record of .

A bit aggravated rt

shop22
02-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Sorry, maybe I confused you on my post. I'm a dealer and have done it on 3 Different machines. Not all the same engine. Sorry to lead you to think it was the same engine and same problem

turfeater
02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
whew. that sounds a lot better ..!

rt

sawman65
02-14-2008, 09:38 AM
all the dealer is gona do is replace the plugs....at your cost just listen to the guys that sell them and work on them and replace the plugs yourself. i belive there is also a short paragraph on this in the owners manual. thats why you will be charged. it tells you plainly to replace the plugs first if a problem like this happends.

turfeater
02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
thanks sawman ..great idea that way if I still have the problem I can tell them I already changed the plugs . Strange that It would foul them with so few hours ! rt

sawman65
02-14-2008, 01:29 PM
man thats just the nature of the kaw's

shop22
02-15-2008, 07:46 PM
It's not so much about the hours on the machine, it's the condition of starting and stopping. If you only start it up and move it, and don't let it warm up enough, soon enough, you'll drop a plug.

sawman65
02-16-2008, 09:13 AM
It's not so much about the hours on the machine, it's the condition of starting and stopping. If you only start it up and move it, and don't let it warm up enough, soon enough, you'll drop a plug.

yes it happends a lot to us dealers who move units in and out of the showroom most times they will only be run for a minute or two.mainly so the hours dont rack up. we replace a lot of plugs because of this