PDA

View Full Version : Open trailer versus enclosed

GreenHor7
02-12-2008, 12:55 PM
I was wondering if you guys recommend to use open trailers or enclosed trailers when it comes to lawn treatments. I can see the benefits of each but i was wondering what everyone suggests and what everyone uses right now. I do not want to buy a seperate truck yet for this, so i am looking at a more economical method but yet efficient.

fertguy2008
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
If you go enclosed and usind a large spray tank, be sure to use as much stainless steel or painted metal as you can. Ask a trugreen chemlawn long time veteran about corosion in some of their older enclosed trucks.

GravelyGuy
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Here is what I plan on picking up in the next few weeks to haul my sprayer.

sclawndr
02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
There's no comparison at all - an enclosed trailer is the only good way to go. It's a shed on wheels. It keeps material and equipment dry, secure and protected. It's also a rolling billboard for your business and makes you look far more professional. The only reason to use an open trailer is it's cheap and that's not a good reason at all. It's a good idea to have the inside sprayed with Rhino liner or similar to prevent water and fert from eating into the wood.

n-green
02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I use a small open open trailer (cheap) to haul my Magnum and a push spreader. I have a 50 gallon nurse tank in the bed of my truck for PG and hand cans. I put it in my garage every night. If you can't lock it up, get an enclosed. Hey sclawndr, how big of a spray unit do you have in your trailer?

GreenHor7
02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
It is strictly for a z-spray with a nurse tank to fill the unit. I might also keep a couple of backpacks and push spreader in it. I like the whole idea of a rolling billboard that is why i am leaning more to a enclosed trailer.

turf hokie
02-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I run an enclosed b/c it keeps all my equipment dry and out of sight. I got a 16 foot so I can put my z and 2 pg's in it for my larger jobs. It is also nice after a late day to not have to unload everything.

sclawndr
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I use a small open open trailer (cheap) to haul my Magnum and a push spreader. I have a 50 gallon nurse tank in the bed of my truck for PG and hand cans. I put it in my garage every night. If you can't lock it up, get an enclosed. Hey sclawndr, how big of a spray unit do you have in your trailer?

I run a Magnum and don't need a lot of water. My nurses tank (65 gallons) is in the bed of the truck but this year I may move it into the trailer.

wrivers
02-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I was wondering if you guys recommend to use open trailers or enclosed trailers when it comes to lawn treatments. I can see the benefits of each but i was wondering what everyone suggests and what everyone uses right now. I do not want to buy a seperate truck yet for this, so i am looking at a more economical method but yet efficient.

People can and will steal anything they can out of an open trailer. Even stuff you never thought could get stolen. If you get an open trailer to save a few bucks, some scumbag will make you regret it soon enough.

HazellLawnCare
02-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Anyone have any pictures of the inside of their enclosed trailers set up for applications?

James Cormier
02-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Anyone have any pictures of the inside of their enclosed trailers set up for applications?

I would show you but Im a slob and you would just make fun of me.
But picture this

PG in the side door
Pallet of fert slid in from the rear over the wheels

Empty bags of fert everywhere
and a hand can rolling around amongst all the bags.

Plus I would have to guess at least 15 frigging utility knives laying all over the place, but all not in site. I just cant seem to keep those things for long!

Oh, and a 5 gallon bucket for......

relief

BeautifulBlooms
02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Thats hilarious

James Cormier
03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Just ordered my new trailer, when it comes in I will post some photos

Its a 17" enclosed Vnose. 54" ramp door in the V for larger riding equipment like my aerator set up, 36" side door for my PG and swing out doors in the rear to load fert with a fork truck.

I will have the inside sprayed with rino liner to help with the rot from the fert getting into the nooks. So it looks like I will be back to pulling a trailer for most of my production days.

ant
06-21-2008, 09:23 AM
did u get one?

Rlclawnguy
06-21-2008, 10:35 AM
We went to an enclosed trailer last year. We have a 16' American Hauler with a v-nose and I believe a landscape package. We did need to buy a new one this year because we tried to save a little money and get the 3500 tandem axles, but it was getting to the point where we had to carry more than 4500lbs a day. So we now have the same trailer with 7,000lb tandem axles that carries 10,000lb load. We also have a second ramp on the v-nose. We love it! We carry a Z-max, 2 pgs., 125 gal of water and up to two pallets of fert, plus any chemicals, back packs and blowers we need at any given time. The one thing we don't have set yet is the lettering on the new one. We got it just 3 weeks ago and of course time has been something we don't have to much of.