PDA

View Full Version : want to do some work to the old girl

mike lane lawn care
02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
ok, so i have a 1999 GMC sierra 1500 4x4 z71, it has a regular cab and short bed. i want to remove the bed and install a flatbed with sides and ramps for smaller equipment. like a few guys have done on here with their ranger's and rams. what is involved in removing the bed? and can i just install 2 trailer lights hooked to the trailer harness until i can make a more permanent solution for the signals?

as for attaching the flatbed to the truck, i am pretty handy with fabrication and am familiar with a welder and have friends who are well versed in welding. should i weld the flatbed crossmembers to the truck's frame, or should i assemble the support structure for the flatbed(bottom square steel tubing) and then bolt it on to the truck, and build up from the base platform? what about the bumper? can i leave it on, or should fab up something. then what about the trailer hitch? it is frame mounted, where the bumper attaches, can i leave it in place or do i have to come up with a solution for that as well? i want to make this as easy as possible, and as inexpensive as possible, but i'm not gonna skimp out on materials, cause i want a nice finished look.

and ideas?
thanks,
Mike

KTM
02-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Taking off the bed is no big deal use an impact and you can have it off in under 30 min. I always wanted to build a flatbed, but with the price of materials these days unless you can get a deal on steal I think it might be cheaper to buy one thats close to what you want then modify the way you want it. good luck

laird006
02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Either way I'd make it all bolt on with no welding to the frame because you never know if you'll change your mind and want a regular truck again or if you wanted to put the body on a different truck.

Jason Rose
02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Ditto, just buy a flatbed and modify, also Just bolt it on. Avoid welding to the frame... Not to say it can't be done though.

And don't call a '99 OLD please! I have a 2000 and I still consider it pretty NEW! Of course it still looks new... Right now it's sort of in pieces though. Putting a 3" lift under it!

laird006
02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Ditto, just buy a flatbed and modify, also Just bolt it on. Avoid welding to the frame... Not to say it can't be done though.

And don't call a '99 OLD please! I have a 2000 and I still consider it pretty NEW! Of course it still looks new... Right now it's sort of in pieces though. Putting a 3" lift under it!

I'll agree on that. Mine's a 97 with 149k on it so far. Still looking good though.

LindblomRJ
02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
How about a 96 with 122K. Weld up some brackets that will bolt from the flatbed to the pickup. How handy would a 6 1/2 flatbed really be?