PDA

View Full Version : Rye Grass Help!!!

greeninga
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Back in October I put out a perennial rye grass on baseball field, I put out 1000lbs on it. 20 bags. It is only coming up well in certain areas, I was wondering should I still go ahead and put out more now because I need it nice for the first game in March. Or should I put out a bunch on annual rye grass so I can at least get that green field I NEED. I have already put out pre-emergence on it 2 weeks ago. I know I need the temperature to be at least in the 60's for the seeds to germinate.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Basically I need to know what to do to get the field nice and green buy sometime in March. Thanks

hackitdown
02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Back in October I put out a perennial rye grass on baseball field, I put out 1000lbs on it. 20 bags. It is only coming up well in certain areas, I was wondering should I still go ahead and put out more now because I need it nice for the first game in March. Or should I put out a bunch on annual rye grass so I can at least get that green field I NEED. I have already put out pre-emergence on it 2 weeks ago. I know I need the temperature to be at least in the 60's for the seeds to germinate.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Basically I need to know what to do to get the field nice and green buy sometime in March. Thanks

I'm no expert in the fert field, but won't that pre-emergent weed control prevent seeds from germinating...including any new grass seed you put down?

barefeetny
02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Do NOT PUT annual rye seed on anything....imo

i think its stupid to waste money on a grass that should be classified as a weed...

if you put anything down... put some kentucy blue down... it matches the rye well and it repairs well in case someone takes a chunk out of the outfeild sliding...I don't know when you lay seed in georgia, but here i know i still have snow..

Nate

greeninga
02-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah you are right about the pre-emergence it will not allow seeds to germinate. But I do know annual will grow on anything and fast. I just need to do something though, do not quite know what though.

hackitdown
02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Maximum fert may make the best of what you have going already.

Rhett
02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
10-10-10 should give you a little growth.

tjsquickcuts
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Wait until the weekend to reseed because the temps are going to drop again tomorrow and thursday. Maybe add a little straw to those areas that are doing so well. We have been getting enough rain to help keep it growing. Unless you are cutting that Rye low, on a softball field it doesnt stand a chance because its very weak. Make sure you check the ground temp also....thats the most important....make sure its above 55 degrees.

seacoastlandscape
02-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Nothing will germinate because of the pre emergence applied. You are going to have to break that barrier the pre emergence creates by maybe aerating and slit seeding very hard to allow some germination and break of that barrier.

greeninga
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. So basically I shouldnt re-seed because of the pre-emergence I put down:hammerhead:. So do you guys think the best thing to do is put down fertilizer. I put down (9) 50lbs bags of ammonia nitrate 10 days ago. What should I do next? Thanks for the help

Armadillolawncare
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
You screwed yourself with the pre emerge. What were you thinking? A little water and some fert would have probably gotten your grass growing.

greeninga
02-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah I know the pre-emergence messed me up. But do you guys think that some annual rye grass still might fight it and germinae, or just go striaght fertilizer and watering with it?

seacoastlandscape
02-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Most likely no, nothing will germinate through the pre emergent, thats the whole point of it. Water and fert to increase and stimulate root and shoot growth of the existing turf. You can try to break that barrier by slit seeding aerating etc but i dont think that would be worth it.

tjsquickcuts
02-13-2008, 08:42 AM
For some reason, The red Clay we have here and Rye Grass are a great match. I have re-seeded soon after putting down pre emergent, and had great success. Just make sure the seeds are touching the ground and add some 34-0-0 this weekend before the rain starts and I think you will see some results. Every region is different, but IMO I think you still have a chance, especially since we have been getting more rain as of late. Dont aerate though, instead cover with straw to help keep the moisture up. Is the Field a actually Bermuda?

greeninga
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah it is bermuda, thanks for the advice

RD 12
02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
In the future I would only go about 100 lbs (thats the heavy side) per acre on the rye. I would only put it down if your are playing during the winter time. Check your soil test and maybe a triple 13 or 8-24 (maybe @ 200 lbs per acre) would be good right now. Aerate as much as possible up to about a week before you start.

LB1234
02-13-2008, 09:46 AM
seriously, spray paint the turf in bare areas for now.

RD 12
02-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Since you do have bermuda, I would definatly aerate so when the bermda starts it can take off running.

tjsquickcuts
02-13-2008, 01:12 PM
If he aerates, then he will break the pre emergent barrier. You will have to wait at least 6 to 8 weeks before you can aerate after putting down pre emergent.