PDA

View Full Version : Rye Grass Help!!!

greeninga
02-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Back in October I put out a perennial rye grass on baseball field, I put out 1000lbs on it. 20 bags. It is only coming up well in certain areas, I was wondering should I still go ahead and put out more now because I need it nice for the first game in March. Or should I put out a bunch on annual rye grass so I can at least get that green field I NEED. I have already put out pre-emergence on it 2 weeks ago. I know I need the temperature to be at least in the 60's for the seeds to germinate.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Basically I need to know what to do to get the field nice and green buy sometime in March. Thanks

jmoore16135
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
You are going to have to slice seed and/or aerate that area. Pre-emergence= no seed germination, so that barrier needs to be broken up to get any new germination. Stay away from the annual rye, it is basically a weed and stick with the perennial rye. A quick but expensive way to get grass by would be to sod it in.

huntnfish21
02-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Make sure and use perennial. How warm or cool has been there. I think aerating and put some seed down in the places that need will be your best bet.

green_with_envy
02-26-2008, 05:26 PM
You need at least 6 weeks after applying Pre m before overseeding.

Blueflashturf
02-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I put out my Rye here in SC about the same time as you.... I have been lucky as far as my stand of turf... Could you possibly Pregerminate and then patch those areas? and keep a starter fert on them to baby it, so you will have somethin there in a couple weeks... I wouldnt use annual except only in a last resort, but thas just me... Let me know how this goes...... Where in GA are you? Im in upstate SC...... Good Luck...

Atlantic Lawn
03-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow, I hope these are just private fields and not High School fields. We all could say many things about your technique thus far but I'll try and keep it positive. I assume you have warm season grass under there somewhere and that is what I would try to focus on now. Slicing would break the pre-m barrier BUT that would introduce the pre-m into your root zone...not good unless you put out Ronstar, most others tend to root prune. Root pruning would compound your problem. My advice would be to start bringing your cutting level down now and hope your soil temps begin to move up significantly. I'm on the coast of NC and I'm seeing green up in some areas already. I would focus on getting your fields up and ready for play with a bit more water if you can. You may still have decent looking fields by the end of season. Can you water in your area of Ga ? Good Luck.

J. Peterson Grading
03-02-2008, 07:24 PM
What are the soil conditions? Did you get a soil sample before seeding or fertilizing? I have had lots of problems with steryle soils that need to be amended with organics and lime.

Just a thought.

J.

greeninga
03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah I am about to get a soil sample and get a good application of lime down more than likely after the soil test. Also most of my grass did come up now and I have a few bare spots still but I am going to wait just a little bit longer to fill them back in, they actually are highschool fields. I have a good relationship with the staff there so are no complaints that I know. I was told by a parent that when the field was built there was alot of sand under it, causing my problem. Is this true thanks.

J. Peterson Grading
03-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I have seeded rye into some extremely sandy soils and had good results, But only because of the fertilizers and grass mattes that I am using.

Try an organic composted chicken manure and a good starter fert. The starter will give it the means to get it going and the chicken compost will slowly break down providing a longer term fert. You will have to re-apply a fert a few weeks after you get a good stand going then.

Good luck

J.

greeninga
03-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the info

RD 12
03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't belive sand would be a big problem. You should top dress once a year W/sand. I take it that these fields have been played on for a few years now?