PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Non-Air Brake CDL!

PerfectEarth
02-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey guys, I know there have been a lot of CDL discussions here and I've read a ton of them- but most of the talk, obviously, centers around air brakes. I have my permit right now (air brake restriction) for my F-550 dump and my 12,000# Bri-Mar. I've been trying to practice my inspection and "walk-around" - the part I'm most nervous about!

Anyone have some advice for testing on this type of set-up?? Everything I have (KY CDL manual and FMCSA ETA inpection stuff) is really set-up for a tractor-trailer/air-brake inspection.... any other sources out there for me?? Thanks very much! :)

jimslawns
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
If you are gonna take the test...Get, Steal, Borrow, a truck which meet the requirments so you won't be restricted. Do you have someone you know which has a truck with air brakes and which is a combonation vehicle?

It is inevitable that at some point you will need to drive a vehicle with air brakes, It will only take you 30 mins (including studying and bribing a friend with a truck) to get all of the endorsments you need, and then you won't have to mess with taking the whole test again at a later date.

Or of course you can avoid this whole mess by replacing your trailer with a "custom" trailer that has a 9999 lbs. GVW. (you can order them like that)

But to take the "pre trip inspection" start at the drivers door and point out all the things you are checking, when you reach the same spot on the other side, you can say to them that you would check it the same way you did the other side (or course unless they are difficult). Just make sure you are checking the entire vehicle and trailer. I had to take my pre trip twice, back then. And don't forget to chock the wheels before doing your inspection.

Which license are you trying to obtain, "A" or Class 1? what ever they call it in KY

PerfectEarth
02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Jim! I can safely say that I'm 99% sure I will not be driving/purchasing a truck with air brakes anytime in the near future- or distant future for that matter! I just want to be able to tow medium-sized (12-14k, skid-steer) trailers- and do it safely.

My trailer is brand new and I don't plan on selling it, though the thought has crossed my mind. But that WOULD hurt my future. And yes, KY is Class "A" for a combination like this. I don't mind the air brake restriction at all.

Yea, gotta bring chocks- And that's helpful to know that I can announce the same info on the other side of the rig! (yea, assuming he/she is cool with it)

dgZtrak737
02-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I work for The Alabama Department of Transportation. They sent us to school for our CDL. My pretrip test was hell. :hammerhead: I had two women inspectors that made me crawl under the truck and touch the brake chambers and pull on the slack adjustors. All during school they told us, "you wont have to crawl under the truck and trailer and touch them you will just have to point them out, yeah right. Oh well, I got them now. Class A's Tankers, Doubles & Triples, Airbrake Endorsement.

AceFinish
02-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey guys, I know there have been a lot of CDL discussions here and I've read a ton of them- but most of the talk, obviously, centers around air brakes. I have my permit right now (air brake restriction) for my F-550 dump and my 12,000# Bri-Mar. I've been trying to practice my inspection and "walk-around" - the part I'm most nervous about!

Anyone have some advice for testing on this type of set-up?? Everything I have (KY CDL manual and FMCSA ETA inpection stuff) is really set-up for a tractor-trailer/air-brake inspection.... any other sources out there for me?? Thanks very much! :)
What gvw are you trying to go for because here in Illinois F-550 is considered 26,000 and under so no CDL is required and you don't have to do a walk around? Not saying you are wrong just wondering how things work in your state.

GravelyNut
02-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I work for The Alabama Department of Transportation. They sent us to school for our CDL. My pretrip test was hell. :hammerhead: I had two women inspectors that made me crawl under the truck and touch the brake chambers and pull on the slack adjustors. All during school they told us, "you wont have to crawl under the truck and trailer and touch them you will just have to point them out, yeah right. Oh well, I got them now. Class A's Tankers, Doubles & Triples, Airbrake Endorsement.

You'll find that the DMV people tend to be harder on State employees no matter where you go. And they tend to remember us too.

J&R Landscaping
02-13-2008, 06:26 PM
What gvw are you trying to go for because here in Illinois F-550 is considered 26,000 and under so no CDL is required and you don't have to do a walk around? Not saying you are wrong just wondering how things work in your state.

Because the trailer he is towing has a 12k gvw.

AceFinish
02-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Because the trailer he is towing has a 12k gvw.

Thanks for pointing that out dude brain went out for a beer and came back drunk.

Looking Good Lawn Service
02-16-2008, 11:45 PM
CDL for an F550???? You mean F750?? well any who, for a walk around inspection, you want to play it by the book, at least for the state test. Best advice, obtain the CDL Training Manual from your local DMV and study it to the T, just like a student from Brown Medical school studies the MCAT,lol. You will do just fine. It is basically for safety, ie, go over your axles, tires, suspension, lights, tell tale signs to look for in safety flaws, ie rust steaked lugs on your rim, might indicate a loose or worn nut, ect. safety triangles, fire ext, flares, truck inspection, paper work in order, ect.

PerfectEarth
02-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone... I've been practicing this past week. I think I'll do fine. LookingGood- The CDL is not for the F-550 alone, it is for the combination of the truck itself with the trailer.

Combo is 19,000+12,000=31,000=CDL! unfortunately!

Looking Good Lawn Service
02-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Ohh, I see, that is a heavy GVW 550, nice truck, good luck, get an A for all of us

PerfectEarth
02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Hahaha, well- I BOMBED the pre-trip yesterday. Well, not bombed, but in my eyes I did. It was horrible. I got a total a-hole trooper who was really misleading with the inspection instructions. Apparently he wanted me to do a COMPLETE pre-trip inspection, kept asking if I was finished, had me start out of order... it was FREEZING and I think he just wanted to sit in his car. He walked around spitting DIP everywhere. Sick and really disrespectful. Basically, anything short of reciting WORD FOR WORD the 6 page section in the manual will not cut it. I need to memorize it!

I did pass all 3 vehicle control tests perfectly. He had me do a driver's side parallel park... ugh. But I nailed it, dont kow how. So gotta go back Monday. I really hope they have a different guy there. They don't even provide a place for my buddy (with a class A who had to come with me) to be inside or sit. He had to stand outside in a massive, windy lot in 20 degrees. Really bad. Anyone else fail their first time?? I need support!! hahaha. Thanks.