PDA

View Full Version : New Hitch Install

lawnspecialties
02-13-2008, 06:54 AM
I just recently purchased a new Ultra Frame Draw-Tite hitch for my F-250. It's a heavy beast but will set me a little more "at ease" pulling my equipment around without a weight-distribution setup.

When trying to get the stock hitch off my truck, even my high capacity impact wrench won't budge the first bolt of eight.

Does anyone know if there are locking pins or rings on the bolts at the top. Feeling with my hand up there, I can tell there's something in addition to just a nut and washer. It could just be one of those star washers but I can't see it up there on top of the frame.

Also, does anyone see why I couldn't install the new hitch with the bolts hanging down and the nuts and washers on the bottom side? Not sure if it matters but it sure would make it easier to tighten and remove in the future (if I ever needed to).

AceFinish
02-13-2008, 04:02 PM
I just recently purchased a new Ultra Frame Draw-Tite hitch for my F-250. It's a heavy beast but will set me a little more "at ease" pulling my equipment around without a weight-distribution setup.

When trying to get the stock hitch off my truck, even my high capacity impact wrench won't budge the first bolt of eight.

Does anyone know if there are locking pins or rings on the bolts at the top. Feeling with my hand up there, I can tell there's something in addition to just a nut and washer. It could just be one of those star washers but I can't see it up there on top of the frame.

Also, does anyone see why I couldn't install the new hitch with the bolts hanging down and the nuts and washers on the bottom side? Not sure if it matters but it sure would make it easier to tighten and remove in the future (if I ever needed to).

Honestly I can't remeber how they are attached to the truck I helped a couple of buddies switch a few of theirs out. I think one of them we just ended up torching the bolts off. As for bolting it back on just make sure you use lock washers if you want to bolt it on there like that.

IN2MOWN
02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Try using a pipe over a socket wrench.

Landrus2
02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Have you gotten them out some bolts are counter clock wise

FearThisDeere
02-13-2008, 08:04 PM
I would say do it with a pipe over a socket wrench first. If that doesn't work, torch them off if you can. There is no reason that they shouldn't come off. There isn't anything holding them in at the top.

lawnspecialties
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I posted this in ford-trucks.com as well. They pretty much said the same thing. It sounds like a cheater bar is the most common way. Unfortunately, the hitch is so far up, it's hard to get close to it. I'm picturing a cheater bar on a 1/2" drive rachet but using a long extension. That's gonna' be awkward.:confused:

lawnspecialties
02-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I got it finished yesterday. Thanks for the tips.

I have a 3/4" drive rachet I use for my tractor. It's about 18" long. I found an extension yesterday for it that was about 14" long. That, along with a 15/16" socket and somes serious pulling and they came out.

topsites
02-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Another trick I found works good is pulling on the wrench with a come-along :laugh:

It works in them spaces you can't get an extension to, worst part is figuring out where and how to secure the come-along, in my case I had to use a length of chain, too.

Atlantic Lawn
02-17-2008, 07:59 AM
We always hit bolts and nuts with some BP Blaster the night before, that stuff really helps. Sometimes a touch forward helps break a tough nut lose.