PDA

View Full Version : A side ramp door on an enclosed trailer?

Jason Rose
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Maybe I just haven't looked enough, but I have never seen a ramp door on the side of an enclosed trailer. I have seen the ones built for snowmobiles where it has a ramp door on the V nose at an angle, but that's not what I'm looking for...

Thinking about upgrading this year to an enclosed, but given the amount of equipment I carry I really need a side ramp door on it so I could unload one walker mower from the front w/o having to move the other machines out onto the road. Also would want a small man door on the drivers side for filling gas cans and easier access to the inside w/o having to drop the ramp doors.
Is this something that a guy could get built?

I know if I was to go enclosed it would have to be made to suit me... Access to stuff is the #1 problem I see with them. I don't want to have to be climbing over mowers every time to get a trimmer or blower. Size-wise I'm looking at probably 8x20 inside to accomodate all that I carry.

Exact Rototilling
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
This would be a custom layout from scratch. If it was me I'd get on the phone to all the known enclosed manufacturers out there. The smaller companies would probably be able to file the order quicker.

:waving:

lawnchopper22
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I've just ordered a new enclosed with side ramp, same size as rear ramp. This is our 2nd enclosed with side ramp, Ill never own another enclosed without a side ramp.
I visited all the trailer sales and every manufacture can make them, think it was about a $500 charge for the door.
Only way to get it is with a custom order for the trailer.

HazellLawnCare
02-13-2008, 03:44 PM
My haulmark trailer has a side ramp door on the side of it. It beats the swing open door and then some crude ramp setup any day.

Jason Rose
02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
My haulmark trailer has a side ramp door on the side of it. It beats the swing open door and then some crude ramp setup any day.

Glad to hear from a couple people that have them! Just curious how wide yours is?

I was thinking about 4' wide would really be plenty, of course it would have to be a strong 4' since I will be running a 48" walker thru it, sometimes maybe te 36". But if it's the same price to have one that's as wide as the back, that would be the way to go. Then I could put ANY machine (that would fit sideways) into the front of the trailer.

I would imigine I'd be looking at a very expensive trailer if it's about $500 to add the extra ramp door, plus I'd still want a 32-36 inch walk door on the drivers side for fuel/small tool access. But it would be a worthless purchace if it wasn't set up the way I needed it to be to be functional for me.

HazellLawnCare
02-13-2008, 06:16 PM
My side door is 48"s. We use it for small walkbehinds, smaller standers, and 21" mowers. I don't have a door on the drivers side, just the rear door and the curbside ramp door.

HazellLawnCare
02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Actually if I remember right I was charged for a swing open door and the trailer guy tried to get me to put one of my drivers side. I just didn't see the need for another door so I ate the cost.

lawnchopper22
02-13-2008, 08:40 PM
I paid $6300 including sales tax and delivery (7x20 box, with v-nose). I shopped hard and was even willing to go get it myself, but ended up finding a local guy who gave me the best deal.

Jason Rose
02-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I paid $6300 including sales tax and delivery (7x20 box, with v-nose). I shopped hard and was even willing to go get it myself, but ended up finding a local guy who gave me the best deal.

The guy have a website or anything?

I got a number of a guy from Oklahoma City that I'm going to call... Don't know the name of the Mfg. though yet. (got the # from a friend that was also shopping for an enclosed for hig contracting biz. He said the guy had great prices and custom builds.) I want good quality though, I definately have to SEE some of the trailers they produce before I will let them build me one.

It's probably going to be some time before I get the ball rolling on buying, but I wanted to search out my avenues good first. I'd have to raise the roof on my carport I park under if I got an enclosed, plus I have a pretty good sized tree to get removed so I can extend said carport in length so the truck will fit under it along with the trailer. Tired of my truck sitting in the weather all the time!

grass_cuttin_fool
02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Im glad to see this thread...Ive wanted an enclosed trailer but didnt know you could get a ramp on the side...and like Jason didnt want to climb over all the mowers to get to trimmers and all or even have to move the back mower to get the front one. The guys that have them I sure would like to see the pictures of them.

wayne

HazellLawnCare
02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Here is a link to the post showing my trailer.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=100676&highlight=trailer

jc1
02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
If you want to fit a 48" deck you need to go wider than 48" on the ramp because the cables will be in the way. I am speaking from experience on this. Nothing like ordering custom and wishing it was a wider ramp. Wells cargo and Cargo express both have side ramp options.

HazellLawnCare
02-15-2008, 02:12 PM
jc1 you couldn't be more right on your post

Jason Rose
02-15-2008, 09:36 PM
If you want to fit a 48" deck you need to go wider than 48" on the ramp because the cables will be in the way. I am speaking from experience on this. Nothing like ordering custom and wishing it was a wider ramp. Wells cargo and Cargo express both have side ramp options.

I was thinking the same thing... I wouldn't want less than 5 feet. And frankly 6 would be better, give me more options as to what goes up that ramp. And weight won't be an issue since they use the lift cables on them.

I'll have to check the 2 out you mentioned and see where the 'close' dealers are for me. I know that, around here, the further I'm willing to drive south, (Oklahoma or Texas) the less I'm going to pay. Actually there's several in Kansas that sell them pretty cheap... Just have to find the brand and options I want.

I'm just ready to have all my stuff out of the sun and weather when it's not being ran. A place to dive into out of the rain, to put on a rain suit, or to take care of a nature call :laugh: