PDA

View Full Version : plastic repair

born2farm
02-13-2008, 03:00 PM
does anyone know of some good strong glue that can bond plastic on the hood of my lawn mower. i have a john deere lx176 that took a fall while unloading and it crakced the hood in about 5 spots. it will cost around 500 to repair it and i only paid 420 for the mower so i dont want to dump that much in it. this is my last year using this mower full time so i just want to get it where it looks good.

any suggestions.

MowerMedic77
02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Not sure of any glue, but you could weld it back together using a plastic welder similar to the one in the link(don't forget the rods)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41592

Just a second option if glue does not work:)

scottr 2006
02-13-2008, 05:08 PM
does anyone know of some good strong glue that can bond plastic on the hood of my lawn mower. i have a john deere lx176 that took a fall while unloading and it crakced the hood in about 5 spots. it will cost around 500 to repair it and i only paid 420 for the mower so i dont want to dump that much in it. this is my last year using this mower full time so i just want to get it where it looks good.

any suggestions.

Brock, I don't know what strength of glue that you are asking for but I've fixed a plastic Stihl trimmer gas tank crack and gas cap crack with Seal-All . It cures in 2-6 hours depending on temperature and stays somewhat flexible . www.seal-all.com

DiyDave
02-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Plastic welder will work on plastic, but I think a lot of older deere hoods are fiberglass. If you know how to do a fiberglass rust out repair on a car, that is how you fix one of these fiberglass hoods. You can get the fiberglass material at your local auto parts store, and also you can add metal under the hood, as long as it isn't seen from above, or as long as it doesn't interfere with function, its all good.:waving:

born2farm
02-13-2008, 06:49 PM
thanks for the seal all website...i might give that a try.

my mower is a 1997 so it is plastic...with the plastic weld i would just need to paint over it right?

Jay Ray
02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't know the answer but what about JB Weld?

fastcat
02-14-2008, 12:19 AM
duh....200 mph duck tape

topsites
02-14-2008, 02:10 AM
I fix plastics with one of either of two glues:

Model airplane / car glue.
Shoegoo.

All depends, if the plastic is hard like a turn signal lens, use the model stuff.
But if it's flexible, goop it.

I'm sure most hobby stores carry the model stuff, maybe Wal-mart.
Wal-mart might carry the Shoegoo, but I know Advance does thou under a name like Car goo (it's all the same crap).
Here's a link:
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm

It's basically like a PVC glue, it's clear but remains somewhat flexible after it dries.

You could always apply a thin layer of model glue inside the crack and hold it together until dry, then goop over top.
That might actually be your best bet.

RigglePLC
02-14-2008, 10:03 PM
My new discovery, "Gorilla Glue" . Ace hardware Etc. It is amazing stuff. It foams a little when curing--fills in cracks. Fully waterproof. Bonds plastic.

Directions say wear gloves--that is really good advice!

Then paint it green.

Second choice Hot glue.

Hold it together with duct tape, mostly on the inside until it sets.

Hope it works.

born2farm
02-14-2008, 10:37 PM
thanks for all your help...im gonna try usin the gorrilla glue first cuz i have some then go from there,

Ooomwizard
02-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Check auto parts stores and HD/Lowes for "Plastic Epoxy." It's a 2 part mix-as-you-need stuff.

Works GREAT as long as you clean and prep the area well. I use it all the time.

GL
Mark in ATL

lawn1234
02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
J-B Weld should work.