PDA

View Full Version : Flat bed people......

tthomass
02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD that I am considering putting a flat bed on. I have been qouted $3,000 isntalled for a black, steel bed. Seems fair but I have not checked around and this is from a reputable shop I use from time to time.

My concern is is it worth it? How do you like your flat bed? This will not be dumping and I don't know how much weight it will be additing vs the factory bed.

I don't know, any insight? Got pics of a particular setup? I just need more room for material, not looking to haul heavy loads.

KTM
02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I have always wanted a flatbed too, I would have thought you could get a aluminum bed for that price. I always see steal ones for under 1500 cash and carry with lights, headache rack, reciver hitch and cutout for goosneck. They might be cheapo's though. I was looking at aluminum bed's and weight was at about 300-350 which should be about the weight of a factory bed, steel will be little heavier, sure would make for A handy truck.

AceFinish
02-13-2008, 03:45 PM
I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD that I am considering putting a flat bed on. I have been qouted $3,000 isntalled for a black, steel bed. Seems fair but I have not checked around and this is from a reputable shop I use from time to time.

My concern is is it worth it? How do you like your flat bed? This will not be dumping and I don't know how much weight it will be additing vs the factory bed.

I don't know, any insight? Got pics of a particular setup? I just need more room for material, not looking to haul heavy loads.

That seems like a fair price. If I were you though I would put a hoist on it so that you could dump a little material here and there. We just did one our 3500 hd but we are actually going to sell the truck because we really don't use it like we need to make owning it worth while but if I were going to do it that would be the way I would do it. For the most part though we don't use it and found that a flat bed is not really all that useful unless you haul pallets of material everyday. So since our suppliers drop off our material it makes no sense.

buttaluv
02-13-2008, 04:51 PM
it depends, there are many different brands, but for a basic, nothing fancy, you should be able to get one for 1500.00

tthomass
02-13-2008, 05:42 PM
it depends, there are many different brands, but for a basic, nothing fancy, you should be able to get one for 1500.00

where? who? thats all i need

Birdjr
02-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Im pretty sure truckcraft makes an all aluminum flatbed liek the one ur describing. I saw it at the truck body shop a few years back. Iy def was sharp, it had a head ache rack and leds all around the flatbed.

mow & snow
02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Omaha Standard makes platforms and truck bodies.

Gravel Rat
02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
For a P/U truck go with aluminum if you go with a 7x8 or 7x9 steel bed it will be too heavy. Plan on adding a extra 750-900lbs to the truck. A aluminum bed is lighter and will look a little better.

Here is a link

www.tgsales.com/saleitems.html

AI Inc
02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Ever look for used? They are around and usualy almost as good.

J&R Landscaping
02-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Gravel rat,
Do you know where that company is located?

bowhunter74
02-13-2008, 08:31 PM
You can buy the cheap ones for $1150 out the door. I just bought a used one off E-BAY for $500. You can also get a Bradford Built bed for $2000 installed, and they are very nice.

Jason Rose
02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
3 grand??? holy cats man, for a little more you could make that into a dump bed around here. A pretty quality flatbed should run around $1,000 to $1,200 tops. Hillsboro, Winkle, and I know there's LOTS of others. I would drive a long ways before paying 3 grand for a simple steel flatbed!

For $3,000 you sould be able to get a killer aluminium bed, with tool boxes, headache rack, LED lights, gooseneck hitch, the works.

vadeere
02-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Gravel rat,
Do you know where that company is located?

Somewhere in WV (most likely eastern side) judging by the area code

Sydenstricker Landscaping
02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Here is a cool one I found. I know it isnt on your style truck, but it is an idea. I think you could def. get a real nice one non-dump for 3 grand and aluminum. Why are you considering non dump? If you haul alot of material with this truck, I think you should reconsider, imo. A few of my buddies that have flats on their trucks wish they would have gotten them dumpable.

Gravel Rat
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
I just Googled Aluminum Truck Deck and that is what came up.

When I was pricing out truck bodies a 11' contractors dump body not painted no lights is 4500 a complete install is over 8000. A complete 12x8 flatdeck is 6000.

For a P/U truck its best to have aluminum you can go with a steel flatdeck.

Oh ya there are two grades of steel flatdecks. You have the ones built out of structural steel like the ones I use and will be building and the cheap stamped and formed steel. The stamped steel flatbeds made out of formed 1/8th steel is crap.

P.Services
02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
not trying to rain on the parade but.... for starters i think they look like crap and dont hold much more then the normal bed, the pickup looks real nice and can haul plenty. if you need a small dumptruck/flatbed i would just look into getting a one ton or f-550 type truck. i would take that 3k 0r 4k from that flatbed and make a nice down payment on a low mile used truck. make the company grow!!!

Jason Rose
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Try here too. Alum. bed, as seen on hundreds of Home Deopt trucks across America! Really nice looking, and functional with the 3 fold down sides. http://www.tafcoequip.com/scotbod.htm

Gravel Rat
02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
It all depends some flatdecks look ugly on srw trucks and some don't.

It is nice to have a flatdeck if you are hauling odd shaped or palletized items or you are going to make the truck into a service truck.

tthomass
02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not worried about looks........when I'm done, it will be looking right and with some bling of course. I do not need a dump as I have a 10' dump trailer I tow with this truck. The truck is not used nearly as much as it used to and a F550 is a waste, I'll stick with my International.

I'm not looking to purchase another truck, I just want this one more functional and at a reasonable price. Another idea is a fuel tank for off road diesel for the Bobcat.

T.E.
02-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Look around, I paid between 1500. and 1800, and that was with it installed. If you buy one new, they can measure it for you, so it won't hang over the sides....you don't want one made for a dually on an srw. Mine is just as wide as the cab of the truck. Really looks good. It was made from a company in Madill, OK They ship them all over the country. Hope this helps, Tony

mdmowerman
02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
check your PM

Mowingman
02-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Look around, I paid between 1500. and 1800, and that was with it installed. If you buy one new, they can measure it for you, so it won't hang over the sides....you don't want one made for a dually on an srw. Mine is just as wide as the cab of the truck. Really looks good. It was made from a company in Madill, OK They ship them all over the country. Hope this helps, Tony

J&I Manufacturing, Madill, Oklahoma. Make an appointment and they will install your bed while you wait. Takes only 3 or 4 hours.

BrandonV
02-15-2008, 07:49 PM
you need a alum bed if you can swing it, we had a f350 w/ a flat bed and after the weight of the bed you can't haul a whole lot

tcalb2
02-16-2008, 06:46 AM
I recently got a price from a aluminum fabricator here in Rhode Island. 3,200.00 for an all aluminum flat bed dump with head board and cab shield. I've seen steel flat beds going for 1,000- 1,500 here. Not sure if they dump though.

BrandonV
02-16-2008, 09:43 AM
1/2 the weight and twice the price is the rule of thumb

tthomass
02-16-2008, 02:13 PM
My only concern for weight of a steel is the decreased fuel mileage and suspension wear. Also, there will be concern for rust. I will be using the truck mostly for light loads and just need extra space..........I've got the International for bigger loads. The truck isn't used much anymore to be honest making this a harder trigger to pull but it is going to be used more in the future. Costs less to operate vs the International and when crew #2 comes along it will at least be a starting point. Access to material on this style bed is a lot easier also.

I'd then get new graphics done on the truck because I would lose what I have now. The aluminum I like better for the the opposite concerns I mentioned with steel. Either way I'll prob put a set of Timbrens on the rear.

BrandonV
02-16-2008, 02:30 PM
honestly tthomas with a truck that age it ain't worth investing (my opinion) in a new bed. light duty trucks become impractical for business use after 7 or so years (again at least for me) so you're looking a 4-5 years to depreciate that expensive bed. just my opinion but maybe save the $ for now and get you next crew another international.

T.E.
02-16-2008, 05:10 PM
My only concern for weight of a steel is the decreased fuel mileage and suspension wear. Also, there will be concern for rust. I will be using the truck mostly for light loads and just need extra space..........I've got the International for bigger loads. The truck isn't used much anymore to be honest making this a harder trigger to pull but it is going to be used more in the future. Costs less to operate vs the International and when crew #2 comes along it will at least be a starting point. Access to material on this style bed is a lot easier also.

I'd then get new graphics done on the truck because I would lose what I have now. The aluminum I like better for the the opposite concerns I mentioned with steel. Either way I'll prob put a set of Timbrens on the rear.

I've got a 91 dodge 3/4 ton diesel that gets 23.+++ on the highway non towing, and 12++ towing my 5th wheel. It has a steel flat bed on it. It also has one of them supposed to be horrible auto trannys in it.

Good luck with your decision

T.E.
02-16-2008, 05:11 PM
honestly tthomas with a truck that age it ain't worth investing (my opinion) in a new bed. light duty trucks become impractical for business use after 7 or so years (again at least for me) so you're looking a 4-5 years to depreciate that expensive bed. just my opinion but maybe save the $ for now and get you next crew another international.

Read the post above...alot...not all of how long a truck will last is how it is taken care of. JMHO

Lawnworks
02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
not trying to rain on the parade but.... for starters i think they look like crap and dont hold much more then the normal bed, the pickup looks real nice and can haul plenty. if you need a small dumptruck/flatbed i would just look into getting a one ton or f-550 type truck. i would take that 3k 0r 4k from that flatbed and make a nice down payment on a low mile used truck. make the company grow!!!

Who cares how they look... this isn't a beauty contest! Flatbeds are much more functional than a pickup bed. Pick-up beds are worthless in landscaping. Every tried stick a few bnbs in pickup bed? So instead of making this truck more useful he should sink himself into 50k worth of debt? Holy cow batman! And how exactly does purchasing a f550 make your company grow?

BrandonV
02-16-2008, 07:27 PM
the old diesels and the new ones are different beasts, we had a f350 that went past 350k and a 85 that pushed over 600k the new ones w/ all the electric crap and turbos will not do that. and if they are being used as work trucks by employees I can flat guarantee they won't last that long, you start replacing trannys, turbos, computers and the like it'll add up and that plus downtime, its better to run a newer fleet and sell off your old trucks the the part time landscapers.

tthomass
02-23-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm meeting with someone to discuss a frame with wood decking. Should keep weight and cost minimal. I'd like aluminum frame all around + cab shield and hitch receiver. Also will allow money saved to be used for underbody boxes, LED's and maybe a fuel tank for the Bobcat as I want to keep cost minimal but increase capacity. Pretty sure a set of Timbrens too.

foggyjr5
02-23-2008, 09:48 AM
I put a flatbed on my truck last year and LOVE it. I don't think I would ever go back. I got the bed used for $200 it was a steal. Mine is made out of steel with wood in the middle. It did not change my MPG at all really. Plus you can put underbodys on it for even more storage. I will post some pics sometime if anyone wants some. Actually I am going to look at another flatbed today.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
02-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Underbody storage is a must.

Smitty58
02-24-2008, 07:09 AM
I had a Knapheide flatbed put on my 05 F-350 SRW. I don't know what it weighs but it's lighter than the stock bed and bumper. For me it's a much better setup. I had a ladder fabricated and welded on just behind the cab so getting up on it is a breeze now. I paid $2300 installed with the headache rack. I got it from Zoresco which I think has several locations if you are interested.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm meeting with someone to discuss a frame with wood decking. Should keep weight and cost minimal. I'd like aluminum frame all around + cab shield and hitch receiver. Also will allow money saved to be used for underbody boxes, LED's and maybe a fuel tank for the Bobcat as I want to keep cost minimal but increase capacity. Pretty sure a set of Timbrens too.

I like the idea of going aluminum; but, I think that using a wood deck would defeat some of aluminum's weight and anti-corrosive benefits. If I were you, I'd try and find a home depot or like bed and be done with it. Also, it would be awesome if you could make some underbed gas tanks to supply your bobcat. BTW, I haven't used Timbrens; but, have had very good performance from my firestone airbags. They use the same concept... but, the airbags are active whereas Timbrens are passive and not adjustable. Good luck and be sure to show us some pics when you are done.

tthomass
02-24-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm thinking wood deck for the cost benefit of keeping the project as inexpensive, yet functional, as possible. I like the aluminum frame for the reasons you mentioned and also its overall appearance.

The Home Depot/Lowe's style beds are too expensive. I got prices as high as almost $5500 for one I really liked.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm thinking wood deck for the cost benefit of keeping the project as inexpensive, yet functional, as possible. I like the aluminum frame for the reasons you mentioned and also its overall appearance.

The Home Depot/Lowe's style beds are too expensive. I got prices as high as almost $5500 for one I really liked.

Ouch. You could probably buy one of those trucks in a few years for that much! Make sure the guy that builds your bed uses some rubber dampers to absorb shock between the wood and the frame. If not, it'd sound like you bowled a strike with every pothole! How much more is aluminum than steel right now? Pressure treated wood is high, too. How much more would it cost have the whole bed done in aluminum versus wood? I couldn't see it costing more than a few hundred extra dollars.

muddstopper
02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Young Harris truck sales in Young Harris Ga. I have bought two 12 ft beds from them, both custom built and both under $1500. Dump flat beds in the $3000 range. A little tip on under body storage boxes. Buy the Better Built brand. The door opening is a little bigger than other brands and I can slip a caged trash pump inside for storage. Cant do that with the el-cheapo boxes. Also consider at least 3ft in lenght if it will fit,( I should of bought 4fters), makes carrying a chainsaw a lot easier.

bruno_rs
02-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I put a flatbed on my truck last year and LOVE it. I don't think I would ever go back. I got the bed used for $200 it was a steal. Mine is made out of steel with wood in the middle. It did not change my MPG at all really. Plus you can put underbodys on it for even more storage. I will post some pics sometime if anyone wants some. Actually I am going to look at another flatbed today.

i agree and have done the same. it all depends what you are looking to do with it. you may want to check out the forum, anyone running an s10 (or similar) with a small trailer... a few guys have added photos of their custom beds, suppliers and costs. i would never go back to a pick up (bed)... this has made my truck so much more versitile. good luck. have a good one.

mudwisr2
02-29-2008, 12:06 AM
I would put a flat bed on anything I drove if it was possible. I love the flatbed on my Dodge 3500 diesel. I always worry about messing up a factory bed. The flat bed.....if you tear it up you are hard as hell on everything you touch! If it gets a scratch in it....hit it with a little rattle can and its good as new. I would go with steel over aluminum. Aluminum looks cool and is tougher than a factory bed but it is so light. It is more comforting to have the weight/traction at the rear tires.