PDA

View Full Version : need help on a quote please!

jdwilliams1
11-05-2001, 08:16 PM
ok here is the deal. doing a quote on a condo, we have 165,000 sq ft of mowing/fertilization. Ends up being about 3.8 some acres. About 2 acres of this is just wide open and the rest is the small grassy areas inbetween driveways. i used to be in the lawn business for 8 years until one of my employees put my brand new kubota in a lake in 1996, got out for 5 years until this spring and this will be my first commercial job since my return. Anyhow! I would really appreciate some help on pricing this deal. I have been asked to quote mowing, fertilization and three edgings which totals 3016ft. along drives and sidewalks. I will be mowing and then trimming around 20 different buildings, all are two units one story about 1500 sq ft of 3000 combined, then blowing off walks and drives.

I am thinking but would still like opinions

Mowing $234 per cut approx 36 cuts a year

Fertilizer $590 per app

Edging .10 per foot $300 per edge

Thank You

jdwilliams1
11-05-2001, 08:52 PM
anyone

littlepopelp
11-05-2001, 09:46 PM
personally i would go alot higher for the mowing only if theres alot of different grass spots and trees also thats alot of weed wacking, since you said there 2 open acres i would go about 275-350. the Edging i would charge more depending on how flat and hard the edges are.

jdwilliams1
11-06-2001, 12:07 AM
anyone else please, thanks for the input so far lilpop

Dochere
11-06-2001, 12:46 AM
Need more info, what equip, how many men, how many total areas, etc.

Lanelle
11-06-2001, 12:53 AM
Sounds like too many mows per year. Here, in upper zone 7, we figure on 24-26 per yr.

cos
11-06-2001, 01:52 AM
I figured on an average of 28.

jdwilliams1
11-06-2001, 08:14 AM
I am currently on my 35th cut of the year and it is suppose to be 70 degrees today. I have been cutting 34-36 times a year since 1988. Now....Dochere I am by myself and use a 48" Exmark Hydro w/ velke. Then I will have to trim and blow off. The way things are growing though I may hire help next year, but for now it is just me!

MOW ED
11-06-2001, 08:25 AM
Its gonna be close to 70 way up here too.

Man, I couldn't touch it with a 48" and Velke. Going rates are different all over the country but one thing is for sure, time is money and you will be spending lots of time at a 3.8 acre job rolling on a velky.
I would have to consider buying a 60"+ Z of your preference (that is another long post) that can get you faster cutting speeds on the open flats. The 48 is useable for the close mowing. A helper would be a great asset.
As far as your prices go, I can't really tell you if they are good or not for your area of the country. You were in the biz a few years ago so you should have a pretty good handle on pricing for where you live.
Cost of materials, labor, overhead, insurance, on and on are different for you in Indiana as they are for me in Wisconsin so I don't feel comfortable giving you a bid and possibly steering you the wrong way.

I do believe that you can get 36 cuts because I got 32 one year in great growing conditions. Not this year though.
Good Luck.

Runner
11-06-2001, 12:47 PM
Where are your bushes, shrubs, and ornamentals? Are the people going to allow you to run you wb on their little narrow driveway strips? Or are they going to insist on them being handmowed after the first month? (Condos are funny about this). What do they want? Why are they getting a price from you? Are they just price shopping? What exactly was wrong with the LAST service? What did THEY get? Be careful, because if you go to high on some of these things, then you'll just be re-enforcing the service they already have. As far as the mowing price, for a condo, you're pretty close to the worth (depending on trees and trim factor). On the fert. though, you are WAY off base. Too high. (Which, by the way, how are you going to handle the weeds, and potential insect problems? Yourself? Certified and Licensed?) And you might as well forGET about that edging price. That's way out there, too. They are not going to pay a dollar for every ten foot of sidewalk. You are much better off to figure the edging in much more frequent than that, because at that rate, it'll just be closed up 90 percent of the time, anyway. Keep it neat. Once every two to four weeks MINIMUM. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.