PDA

View Full Version : Special Event-Wedding etc Lighting

NightLightingFX
02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I would like some feed back on "Special Event Lighting." I have an opportunity to work with a company that does a lot of special events weddings, balls/galas etc. They have alot of different props, trees, plants and etc. They have tried to do accent lighting but they are using your typical 120 volt flood lights and the good ol' light bulbs. They would like to have an expert do their accent lighting. Since I consider myself an expert how to use MR16 with lens and different lamps, this might be a good opportunity for me. I need to put togather a demo/display kit of indoor mr16 fixtures. Something that can be easily put up and taken down and cheap. The displays will only be up for a couple hours. Do any of you have some ideas on cheap low volt light fixtures for indoors. Are the cheap indoor 12 volt fixtures cheaper than the malibu stuff? I don't know much about indoor low voltage lighting. I thought I would start with you guys first before I start doing more research. Thanks
~Ned

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Ned

Seek out a man by the name of lighting guy; Tommy Marshall. I believe he is in Georgia, or perhaps Mississippi. In any case, he does a thriving business in lighting special events (weddings mostly). He is also a completely stand up guy. I had the opportunity to meet him in person a couple of times.

If you send me an email, I will provide you with his email address.

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
02-14-2008, 01:09 AM
funny you mention that. We just had a call the other day with someone wishing us to do a temp install for an outdoor wedding that will include moonlighting the sitting area and wrapping an oak with clear lights along with uplighting some other decor.

Will be meeting with them this coming month to preview the site even tho the wedding is not until september.

NightLightingFX
02-14-2008, 12:12 PM
WOW!
I got a better response on this thread than I expected. James I knew you would have some insight. Thanks
~Ned

Lite4
02-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Funny you should mention this idea. I have actually been thinking about offering this service. Since I set up temp demos anyway, what is the big deal about a special event? This would be an easy integration for my business.

Pro-Scapes
02-14-2008, 06:41 PM
it wouldnt be like a normal demo. You would have potentially hundreds of people walking around. You cant just leave wires laying around like you would like a demo so you may need multiple smaller transformers or even do a temp shallow bury. I thought about talking to wedding cordinators and retal places in our area to offer lighting for events. Often times special events like weddings lack high quality lighting.

Ashley talked to this lady and she is interested in having an oak tree which is the focal point and a special tree to the bride wrapped with clear lights 20-30 ft up. I am thinking right away probably LED lights. I need to see the location first and may see about other options.

Lite4
02-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, this could be a great revenue generator. I would like this much better than Christmas lights.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-15-2008, 07:52 AM
From what I understand from my friend Tommy, they often have the opportunity to light the entire yard of a home, plus the inside of the tent for the wedding or party. Then when they return to take things down the host asks for a quote on a permanent installation.

In the right market, this could be a very effective and lucrative marketing technique.

Have a great day.

Mayor_tx
02-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Hello everyone,

Here is how I have generated some business this way. I used to work for a catering company and I'm still good friends with the owners. This catering service takes care of everything during the event, and they now offer temp lighting through my company. I look at it like a demo with many more people seeing what we offer. I was in the catering service industry for a few years and I believe that contacting a reputable catering service and telling them about how you can help make the event more beautiful, would be your best bet to get your product and name out there.

Tommy Marshall
02-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Hello All, First post at this site so please bare with me while I try to figure all this stuff out and how it works. I'm a little slow when it comes to computers. I'm using the Quick reply and will graduate the Advanced maybe the next time. First I want to see how this comes through.
First, My name is Tommy Marshall, I am from South Carolina, am a Landscape Contractor converted over to specalizing in Lighting and Water Features, still doing a little Landscaping and Irr. from time to time. 17 Years in business.
I am joining in response to a question posted on Event Lighting. James and another individual contacted me about the subject matter. I having participated in another forum decided to join here to share publically instead of privately so anyone still interested might possibly benefit from what I have discovered over the last years of event lighting. I also anticipate that I will learn something from a couple of you on this .(I hope).
I will start with a few things and any who are interested we can continue, as there is lots to say on the matter.
I have done many Weddings, have done 3 with the fourth coming in march Fundraiser Balls which is a Black Tie event ,tickets $150.00 each, and usually about 500 tickets sold at each event.... Great exposure... I have done small to large back yard parties from 75 people to 200 people, some of the yards I had lots to work with , others I had very little to work with.
There are a couple of caterers that refer or use me when ever they can.... every party needs light of some sort. They just need to be informed of options other than the normal routine chandilear with a dimmer and some christmas lights strung around the tent.We are talking about tents from 60' to 160' sometimes multiple joined side tents.
I also work Verry verry closely with the florist. I have actually been in a dark bathroom at the florist shop with an arrangement experimenting with light to see the effect. We were laughing, I told her this might be hars to explain if her husband happened to walk in ! Have to remember if it is hot, the florist will not bring their arraingments until hours before the party to keep them fresh, You don't get a chance to look at it the night before. We will do the yard, the path ways to the tent food tables, bars, if it needs light it is our job, except for the band on the stage, they bring their own...

Is there a "Spell Check" on this thing? I don't need any english buffs out there correcting me ! Maybe that is in the "GO Advanced" section !

Thanks,
Tommy marshall
Light Creations
The list go's on and on, I would love to open this up more in the next few threads

NightScenes
02-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you very much Tommy!! This is great info. How do you go about laying it out? Do you staple the wiring down or bury it?

Lite4
02-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks Tommy,
What are the best avenues to pursue to begin doing this? ie.. should we go through a caterer or wedding planner, or florist. What do you suggest.
Thanks for the response.

Tommy Marshall
02-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Now I see the Spell Check... Too late on last post....
While I am here a few other important event Thoughts..

Multitap Transformers, underwaterlights, discussing Power with Homeowner,band ,caterers (they love to trip breakers), hiding wires, Selling your lights afterwards, Color lens, beam spreads,very elegant and classy lighting of tables if no overhead trees or tent pols to down light...

Tommy Marshall
Light Creations

Tommy Marshall
02-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Man, I didn't know this thig was live and in real time ! Caught me off guard.

Hey Paul,
Actually I do both. If there are several grouped together and "OUT" of the mainstream I will staple them down, If only one and in traffic, I still might staple, depenting on turf and soil as to how well it will stay dowm. When I bury, I will slightly slice turf with shovel or other tool, push wire into , tamp heavly. Little more than that but you get the idea.
Thanks...
Tommy

NightScenes
02-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Keep it rolling, you bring up lots of questions Tommy and now I'm looking for all the answers.

Tommy Marshall
02-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Tim,

ALL of the mentioned, I work with them all, Start with one you have a relationship with and see if you can't get them to get you in on a job to let people see what you can do.
It depends who really is in charge. I typically would say in my experience the Caterer is the one deciding what space he needs for his tables,bars,etc,,,and usually very influential in what happens around there , The wedding planner is also important as is the florist. The florist is usually not making the overall decision of lighting ,food, tent size , etc.... but you need to work with her.
thanks...
Tommy

NightScenes
02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Man, I've got to go to Mass. I'm looking forward to catching up on this when I get back!!

Tommy Marshall
02-16-2008, 06:32 PM
One more thing:
I would like to thank James Solecki for introducing me to this site,bringing this topic to my attention. I have communicated with James via Computer and a different forum for many years now. I also have had the privledge of attending a couple of intense Seminars with him. James has always been the first to introduce what's new out on the market before I ever heard about it. I have over the years learned more from him than I will ever teach.
Any way, thanks James for leading me here.

Tommy

NightLightingFX
02-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Tommy,
What kind of fixtures do you use when it comes to accent lighting for events? Obiously to have a bunch of brass fixtures to use for event lighting would be awfully expensive. What do you use? What do you recomend to use? I am guessing you have a lot of stuff in storage and on hand ready to use for events. What would you say is the core materials to have in storage ready to be set-up for an event?
~Ned

Tommy Marshall
02-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Ned, Not sure what brand of fixtures that you use,it really does not matter as long as it is durable and safe. I DO NOT use box store fixtures. Who ever your manufactuer of choice is, I would just select a nice powder coated accent fixture you're accustomed to and go with it. Yes it does get expensive, but what we do across the board in landscape lighting isn't cheap anyway. If the customer wants cheap, let them rent the generic chandelear with a dimmer, throw in a few strings of christmas lights , a few candles , and there you go, you got the same old lighting that Mary Jane, Francis, and Claire had at their wedding. Looks nice, but what you provide for that "Hopefully" once in a lifetime memory, nothing is compariable. I use all copper when I am illuminating tables and pathways. Nobody really pays attention to a grouping of fixtures at the top of a twenty foot tent pole or in a tree downlighting as you have already done before.
I will also have fixtures at every vertical support pole set at the same angle as the tent to graze the tent roof from the top of the lower support pole all the way to the top. Lots of reflective ambient lightt from this.
One more small tid bit for now...
I don't always have to light a table with a fixture ON the table, usually I will do it from above. The Caterer I use ... I get only one request from here every time," I don't care how you do it, Just make sure people can see my food." Now...not in an obnoxious way but bright enough, yet suttle enough not to be offebsive.
So here is one of the things I do,some of you may have done this before and old news to you, but for those who have not , this looks really elegant and sharp. You need to involve the Florist !!
What I do... Depending on the size of the table in terms of inches is how they refer to them "60" round" or what ever... maybe smaller. I choose a fixture that is proportional to the table and one that will give me a spread to cover the table top and not to spill over too much into the lap or chest of the guest. I generally will use a fixture from Nightscaping , the Scout which has a 7" hood and is adjustable, or the scout with a 4" hood. I once needed more than I had, my local distributor was out so I used a similar fixture from Vista that worked fine. I just had to seperate them, no one noticed. This next part needs to be discussed with the caterer...We in dead center of the table drill a hole, also we have some designated marked table cloths, white and black, with a slight whole in dead center point. I mount the fixture to the table in the center, wire out the bottom, traced doen the table leg with electrical tape, sliced into the ground back to T/F .
Unbeleivable listening to curious people looking and wondering how there is light there.. Oh yea, the next most important part, Florest does a nice arrangement around the base of each fixture of greenery, flowers etc. Not too tall to effect the light, but enough to just make it all work. White linen cloth, silverware, glasses, arrangement, with a nice petit copper fixture right in the middle giving off the perfect amount of light. Remember a Black cloth will take a higher wattage than the white cloth.
Other uses for this same concept, but will come another time if I don't forget, I have to run for now. This has gotten too long.

Thanks....
Tommy marshall
Light Creations

NightLightingFX
02-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Tommy,
How do you price a job. The customers are renting your materials right? Do you charge them for rental and expertice? My next question would be what is an average size presentation. 20 fixtures? What would you guess a job would cost per fixture. I know there are all kinds of variables and no job is alike. I am tying to get an idea what my initial cost will be for fixtures that I am going to store and not sell. I need to project how many jobs I need to have to pay for my initial cost. Do you have any suggestions on how to ease into the business? I have an event planner who does a lot of events she also has a huge show room with many different props. What I need to do is light-up one or two of her props and go from there. If a job comes up and the amount of fixtures I have will work than I will use those. If I need more fixtures I will need to order more. "Man" it seems awfully expensive to have a bunch of copper fixtures in storage.
~Ned

Tommy Marshall
02-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Ned,
Yes it is expensive, but you keep buying a little at a time and build your inventory up. That at times has been a struggle for me, but you got to have them to turn out a first class job, and your presentation will sell other jobs. Beleave me, once you do a couple, people will know who did it. I generally have established a very good relationship with the owners or party givers because I am under their feet every day or they under mine. I offer to help when I see them moving something, I am there up to the last Min. the night before tweaking, and the last min, the day of tweaking . They know me well by the time the party starts, people ask questions and they are very happy to tell them who did the lighting.
I love mingling around the food tables listening to people talk about the lighting, them not knowing who I am. OH. and I ALWAYS go to the party if it is really big. I will have mu suit or tux on, In coat pockets, I carry a Nini flashlight, screwdriver, and a few other small items in case of emergency. The last thing you want is to find out the NEXT day that the lights went out or a fuze or breaker went...Not what you want, I want to be there just in case and they are glad to have me there.
Will touch on pricing later, I am getting ready to sign off and go chill a bit. Remind me later if I forget, this may be something you are going to have to figure out on your own, there are lots of variables in there.
Thanks...
Tommy Marshall
Light Creations

Lite4
02-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks Tommy,
This is some excellent information you are sharing with us. It has given me some ideas. Pricing is the only thing I may still be questioning. I am sure I would rent the lights and charge a base rate per hour for set up and break down.
Welcome to Lawnsite. I look forward to having you in more varied discussions.

Mark B
02-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Not sure if this helps any. BUT I have gotten up 150 for a month to rent my demo. I know this is different the what the thread is about. This is a interesting thread though.

Pro-Scapes
02-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Tommy thank you for sharing all that it opens a whole new world and one I may be willing to persue in the coming year. This is what the boards are all about sharing great info with no egos attached. We should all (including me) take note of this

Sleepy....I would never leave my demo set up for a month for only 150. The potential loss due to not being able to do demos and such is far greater than 150.

Maybe your situation is diff but the risk of having temp installed equip on site for a month is a big liability in my opinion. What was the situation ?

NightScenes
02-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Tommy thank you for sharing all that it opens a whole new world and one I may be willing to persue in the coming year. This is what the boards are all about sharing great info with no egos attached. We should all (including me) take note of this

Sleepy....I would never leave my demo set up for a month for only 150. The potential loss due to not being able to do demos and such is far greater than 150.

Maybe your situation is diff but the risk of having temp installed equip on site for a month is a big liability in my opinion. What was the situation ?

Ditto that!!

Mark B
02-17-2008, 05:28 PM
For me I have never had any issues at all with someone messing with my demo. I look at it like. I can rent it or it can sit in my building.

I also do irrigation serivce work. There are times when I might not do a lighting job for a few week.

When I rent it out they are responsable for anything that happens to the demo.. i.e tranny gets stolen, fixtures get damaged, anything lost. I will replace the bulbs if I need to. Alot of times I don't leave it out that long. Most of the time I get the ok to do the job within a few weeks. I have rented it for commercial buildings during the holidays, events (meaning a company having a party at there building).

Hope this helps

Pro-Scapes
02-17-2008, 06:34 PM
It wouldnt even be worth my time to set it up and take it down for 150 without the prospect of a installation. Doing a demo for a well qualified prospect is much diff than renting it out. If you rent it out you should be making it worth your while

Lite4
02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I would have to agree that you are doing yourself a diservice charging only 150.00 When I do my demos, I may not charge directly for them but I now have them sign off on an invoice for a promotional display at their house for between 275 and 400 bucks. Gets charged as a promotional expense to be written off at the end of the year.

irrig8r
02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Tim, can you explain how that works? Sounds like something I ought to be asking my tax accountant about, but I thought maybe you could give me some tips on what to tell/ask her about it.

pete scalia
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
why not just get paid for it instead of taking the write off?
I can see how this may get complicated when it comes to taxes.
What about sales calls are they deductible too if they don't buy?
Just food for thought.

Tommy Marshall
02-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Ned,
Somehow I lost my whole last response I was gonna send, Just as well, probably too long.
In a nut shell: 20 fixtures would be a minimum usually fo most jobs, I will easily use up to 75 sometimes. Remember a tent that could be any where from 60X90 to 60 X 160. On the larger there will be 20' support poles in center, outside support poles every 10 feet or so, Connecting runner tents, Food tents , bar tents, outside tables, we would be responsible for ALL the lighting, NO FLOODLIGHTS allowed.
Pricing can be tricky. Copper, Powder coated, how much outside the tent, how much inside the tent,Food and flower lighting, Cake lighting for a wedding, It's hard sometimes. I have to evaliuate each job and see what they want and also discuss budgett with client. How elaborate ? I have used underwater lights in Glass Vases filled with glass marbles and water to illuminate all of the food around the LARGE vase and the Integra liter under the base which is also glass to give off a 360 degree light flat out across the table top. Working with florist to hide wires is a must.
Until next time...
Thanks,
Tommy Marshall
Light creations

Tommy Marshall
02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
150.00 for monthly rental ....
Sorry, but I would have to vote also that 150.00 is too little, That does not hardly pay for the wire you have to cut up if you are calculating your voltage drops accurately, and then your time, in addition the usage of equipment. I'm sure you are a professional, and your time is more valuable than that. THAT'S 75.00 TO SET UP. 75.00 TO TAKE DOWN nothing for the wire and rental even if it is a small job. ???

Tommy Marshall
Light Creations

Mark B
02-17-2008, 10:24 PM
I have the cast demo kit with 20 fixtures and wire all has the quick connects. I am limited to how much/where to put lights. I know what i'm doing is waayy different then what you are talking about. My average drive time is only 20 minutes to most jobs.

That market does sound interesting.

pete scalia
02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Tommy , Pete Scalia checking in. Nice to meet your acquaintance.

how many fixtures would you say you have dedicated to just doing temporary lighting displays?
I would think that the overhead alone along with the labor involved together with design, cables, connectors etc. set up and take down, storage etc. would not leave room for very much profit unless this was being done as a somewhat primary business on a very regular basis.
Afterall in my opinion once a fixture has been used in this manner it can no longer be sold as new in an installation right? So either you have to dedicate it to just this type of display lighting project and have it sit in storage until the next gig or disclose the fixtures/transformers past use and discount it for it's use in a permanent new install.

pete scalia
02-17-2008, 10:34 PM
I have the cast demo kit with 20 fixtures and wire all has the quick connects. I am limited to how much/where to put lights. I know what i'm doing is waayy different then what you are talking about. My average drive time is only 20 minutes to most jobs.

That market does sound interesting.

Your $150 rental threatens to bring down the whole borgata. Pricing like this hurts the industry. You are undervaluing your time . Step up to the bigs and charge a kings ransom.

NightScenes
02-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Tommy, all of this sounds great and I'm sure that you are very creative in your lighting designs for these events. Do you have any photos of your work? I would love to see what this looks like.

Tommy Marshall
02-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey Paul
Also to others, Hard to keep up with where I am here, Don't mean not to answer a question if I haven't.
Pictures: You know, I have tried ,I am about as good with a camera as I am with a computer, Not the right equipment for one thing. It's been a big consideration though.
But ... I have a lot of photo's that I had taken by a professional of just my reg. lighting of homes and properties, but there is a problem associated with event lighting and photo's. Maybe some of you can help me here..
Problem 1 : I don't have the right camera,
Problem 2 : Typically wedding photographers are not able to shoot good lighting photo's or whoever is photoing the event. I guess they can, but they are there on another mission.
Problem 3 : Good Night photography requires a timed exposure, at the parties there will be nothing but a blur.
Problem 4 : Shooting the night before just does will not give you the whole picture because so much is done on the last day.
Problem 5 : Sometimes I travel to the party. Still all of the above apply.

Sooo, I just have not figured out how to yet. I have had one thought but not bold enough to request it for they might think I'm crazy...
Have every body at the party Freeze...don't move a muscle for 30 seconds while we take this picture. Then it's only one shot, one would want at least a dozen or so...
Thanks,
Tommy Marshall
Light Creations

NightScenes
02-18-2008, 07:30 PM
You make some good points Tommy, but any photos of your specialty lighting would be better than none at all. Maybe you can set up a good camera (I use a Canon EOS Rebel) and take a few as people mingle. You might have some blur that you can later crop out, or it might even look kinda cool in some shots.

Tommy Marshall
02-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Pete..
I do have a lot of fixtures in my shop and stacked away, Remember that I have been accumilating them for a while. I will keep old fixtures that I have replaced for someone and repaired. Few things to touch on here.
1- I have hundreds of feet of wire in #10 and #12. All has been cut at some point . At end of each job, we disconnect, pull all wire to one open space dragging it to pull it straight, we designate rows if you will, All in this row will be my 100' lengths, This row 75' lengths, and so forth all the way down to 8' lengths for movable pig tails to where I want...Little more than this, but you get the idea.
2- I use Multitap Transformers. I have a lot of lights at one location and I don't want to run multiple strands of wire, I string out one of mt #10 wires at 100' to 150' do the math and place wire in the higher voltage tap. I do not get as precise with my voltage drops as I would on a perminant install, If it's burning a little hot, and is doing the job, I let it go, It's only for a night or two and coming down.
3- I might get slammed here but here go's. If I have a section where I need some light, I'm short a Transformer for that rare reason, and If I have a new one in the Box that I am gonna use in a week on a perminant install, I will use it for two days and still use it on the job the next week. I have told a customer before that I had already taken it out of the box , and being that the Transformers I use have a lifetime warranty any way, they are fine with 20 hours of use on it and don't care. They know who I am and trust me . If anything I am probably over generous when it comes to giving to customers.
Hope this answers your questions..
Fixtures , I never sell used fixtures to a customer, I have enough.My wife has a problem though. She ask, How come our lights are not on? I stole my own Transformer, Thats happened more than once when I was in desperate need at the last min. I won't Say that I have not taken a fixture out of my own landscape before either, that has happened also...

Tommy Marshall
Light Creations

Tommy Marshall
02-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Paul,
It will take a little time, I have to figure out how to get from my photo album in my computer and attach here. I have sent photo's before, but not here.
I'll try and work on a few..
Tommy Marshall
Light Creations

NightLightingFX
03-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Tommy, or anyone else,
When setting up for a lighting scene how do you secure your fixture to the ground etc. Obviously you can't use a stake. Do you have any special tricks for securing fixtures in a lighting event?
~Ned

Tommy Marshall
03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Ned,
I could be of more help with a little additional info. Is this a Tent, Open yard, Tables , what are you trying to acheive, what kind of party is it, how big, budgett...???
Tell me what your goal is or Their goal and what possible obsticals you have , you can get past them and make it happen, you just have to be creative. I am usually my own worst enemy. I will look at something and come up with this crazy idea that I think would be really cool. I'm already pressed for time and I can't get this thought out of my head that this really would be great if we could do it.....Well , next thing you know, we are figuring out a way kicking my self in the butt for thinking of it one minute and the next minute I am thinking, boy this is going to be worth it, and it usually is. Don't be afraid to take a bull headed creative thought by the horns and go for it, the rewards will be worth it for you and the client. My mind is always in high gear thinking how can this be better when I am lighting a party.
I have my next one coming up in two weeks, same one I mentioned earlier in these post. 500 + people, 60 X 150 main tent, plus two additional smaller tents. Theme has been set and I already have started planning for what and how I am going to acheive our goals. I plan on spending 3-4 days in and out working and keeping up with the tent decorators, theme makers, or what ever you would call a group of about 15 men and women working on this event. At $150.00 per ticket, and based on what we have created in the past, guest expectations are high. This party comes around every two years and is a blast.
Will wait to hear from you.
Tommy

NightLightingFX
03-16-2008, 02:29 PM
I am teaming up with a special events coridnator who is moving into a very large space that has a lot of booths, each booth will have different theme displays. I am going to light up some of the booths. Obviously this can be a great promotional opportunity for me. As you can imagine the floors are all tiled. Without trying to reinvent the wheel are there any special tricks you use in mounting fixtures to solid ground. My first thought is - to use a mount in which to connect with the fixutre. Secure the mount to sommething heavy like a brick or paver or something. That might be too bulky. I could Attach the mount to broad piece of plywood? What have you done?
~Ned

Pro-Scapes
03-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I am teaming up with a special events coridnator who is moving into a very large space that has a lot of booths, each booth will have different theme displays. I am going to light up some of the booths. Obviously this can be a great promotional opportunity for me. As you can imagine the floors are all tiled. Without trying to reinvent the wheel are there any special tricks you use in mounting fixtures to solid ground. My first thought is - to use a mount in which to connect with the fixutre. Secure the mount to sommething heavy like a brick or paver or something. That might be too bulky. I could Attach the mount to broad piece of plywood? What have you done?
~Ned

Ned,

At our recent show we had planned to display some fixtures mounted on the floor like your speaking of. What we did is I found some really nice round circles of wood (stool tops) and used surface mounting flanges. You can get creative based on the theme and use the plywood you speak of and surround with flowers...a flag stone....you get the idea. Think outside the box on this and garnish your lighting. Unfortunatly due to the ambient light and fire marshall restrictions I was unable to have pathlights displayed at the front floor area of my booth. I found them looking much better on the edges of the tables. Another thing we found handy was get some sticky foam furniture pads like thoes that go on the bottom of chair legs. These allowed us to pass a 16ga wire under the bases without the bases rocking.

Lite4
03-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Here ya go Ned. This is from my demo setup for use on concrete. These are just simple round j-boxes filled with mortar for weight. Screw in a 1/2" nipple in the threads before you fill them and as they are drying just unscrew the nipple out and the threads will stay clean. These work excellent and they are fairly heavy. Hope this helps.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I seem to recall Unique having some very nice looking stands that they use to display their fixtures at trade shows and such.

Joey, is that stand available to guys who are doing demos, for show booths, and special event lighting or is it an in-house special?

Regards.

JoeyD
03-17-2008, 11:30 AM
yes it is, its the Tri Axis base...I will see if I can dig up a photo....

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/GoldPulsar002.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/GoldPulsar004.jpg

you can sort of see it here

we have spikes for it so you can anchor them into the gorund real easily.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
You are most welcome Joey! :)

NightLightingFX
03-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Tim,
You have a good idea there. Where do you get the round j boxes? Homedepot or do I need to go to an electrical distributor? The middle hole fits perfect for the fixtures? - Are there different sizes for the center hole I could get confussed with? I like Uniques Stainless Steel stand but I don't think that is economically feasable for me. Tim's idea looks like a very economical and effective way to secure the fixtures. Thanks for the idea Tim.
~Ned

Lite4
03-17-2008, 10:15 PM
No problem Ned, Home Cheapo or (Lowes)t bidder has them. 1/2 hole fits the threads of the lights. I made up about 10 of them, seems to be enough for demos.

Lite4
07-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Ok, So someone has inquired about having me do lighting for a birthday party. I will be getting the room layout on monday, but a couple of requests have been can I project colors on a very bright orange painted wall in the banquet hall. They are looking for red, green and black. Black is not really possible so I am looking at even red and green. I am sure I can come with some lenses for this, but I am looking for ideas. Also they are wanting to project the name or initials of the birthday girl on the floor from a light in the ceiling. I imagine there must be some DJ type of lighting for this? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Chris J
07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't know about the rest of it, but it seems to me you could print out a small stencil of the initials and attach it directly to the lens of the fixture. You might want to trace it out on something like aluminum foil or some other non combustable material.

NightLightingFX
07-26-2008, 08:32 PM
to get a deep color you would want to use dichloric (sp?) lens Lee filters has all kinds of colors but they aren't cheap. To simulate the color black I am thinking you could use a dark purple. As far as projecting an image, I think it is a little more complex than what Chris suggested. You need some kind of focus contraption. I don't think basic low voltage landscape lighting equipment is going to work well. (If you have the time and curiosity, experiment and let us know what you created.) Check out www.derksen.com. Here is a picture of a project I did a couple of years ago using one of derksen's outdoor projectors. These things are extremely expensive and fragile. If you get busy with request for projecting images you may want to invest in a projector. I kind of want to stay as far away from these things as much as I can. Considering the fragility and expense of this equipment, to me personally right now, I don't think they are worth it.
~Ned

Lite4
07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks Ned, I will look into it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Tim there are a number of projector fixtures on the market. Nightscaping makes the Nightscope and I believe they have the ability to create custom gobos with enough lead time.

There are other such projector style fixtures on the market but I think you would find the NS product to be functional and a value.

Hope this helps.

Lite4
07-28-2008, 01:51 AM
Thanks James,
I did not know about that fixture. I will look into that tomorrow.

Tommy Marshall
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Hey Tim,
I got a notice there was a thread here ...sorry I am not around much, in Chicage a couple of weeks ago for a seminar, home for 5 days and then on vacation at the beach for 10 days and just got home sunday pm.

James is right on the Nightscope, (Hey James) I have 3 of them that I use for parties.
I backed up on the threads and if I understand correctly, you want to project from the ceiling to the floor . I did a party once and wanted to do the same, BUT...unless the ceiling is verry high, the name or initials will likely be too small to give you the effect you want. I ended up not attempting it, then you have the issues if shadows from all of the people walking around and distorting the image unless it is in a non traffic area. Same on a wall, has to be higher than the heads of the people at the party.
I did a Bride and Grooms name on the side of a tent once, It worked very well.
I also have done a few logo's in the past on the sides of tents or white buildings. The image can focus regardless of the distance that I attempted it.
Nightscaping got my templates with in a week or so when I needed them, All you have to do is send a jpeg of the ibage you want. If you do this, be sure and get multiple images as they are hard to handle and will krinkle. You will want some backups, but thay are not very expensive.

Hope this helps a little.

Tommy Marshall

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey Tommy :waving:- Stranger... how the heck are you? I hope the family is all happy, healthy and doing well...

You really should check in here more often... ( I could use the support sometimes!:laugh: )

Drop me an email sometime soon... It would be good to stay connected.

NightLightingFX
08-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Tim,
If you try out the Nightscaping product let us know how it worked out.
~Ned

Lite4
08-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Tommy,
I will check out the Nightscope. I am assuming the fixture can be reused over and over with different image slides?