PDA

View Full Version : ****** wanted to 4 wheel with 2" of rain falling

PatiosInstalled
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
ok so im in the shop waxing my boat and i get a phone call from my buddy. he says that a friend of his friend is stuck down at the canal and they wanted to know if i could come pull them out. i often get these calls since i have a 04 powerstroke thats lifted and sitting on 35's. i figured sure why not i have nothing to do and i too have been in situations before that friends of friends have come to help. the latest was when i was stuck 5 miles out in the bay on my boat and the starter took a ****. anyway we get to the canal and this dudes truck slid off the trail into a pond. i try to drive down the trail but i too start to slide so i backed off the trail. we tried every thing to get his truck out on its own but it couldn't. my buddy called another guy with a dully cummins once he got there two kids came walking up the trail saying that they too where stuck around the corner so the cummins trys to drive down a much wider trail and frames out in a puddle. i was able to pull the cummins out and the guys that where stuck around the corner eventually got them selves out. we then focused back on the truck in the pond and by this time we had a come a long on hand, we tried that with minimal progress so our last attempt was to connect all of our tow lines to a total length of around 150' and pull this truck up and out. it moved up onto the trail only to have a tree block any more movement. after 4.5 hours of trying to free this truck there was nothing more we could do with as wet as the trails where so we had to leave there. in the end my powerstroke was the only truck not to get stuck out of 5 trucks in that area. enjoy the pics
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/nickde03/Picture821.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/nickde03/Picture816.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/nickde03/Picture819.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/nickde03/Picture822.jpg

Landrus2
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Will keep an eye.

shovelracer
02-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Theres so much wrong there I dont know where to start.

KTM
02-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Reminds me of the good old days. now that I am older I would have to get pretty drunk to beat on my truck like that. BTW what the h*ll is plywood going to do?

PatiosInstalled
02-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Theres so much wrong there I dont know where to start.

oh it was a nightmare

as for the plywood he had it in the bed of his truck so we tried to get it under the tires to prevent the trires from digging in more.
luckly i didnt have to use my truck for anymore then pulling the cummins out.

newz7151
02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
It doesn't look like ANY of those trucks were equipped with the right tires for THOSE conditions.

verant
02-13-2008, 10:48 PM
that looks pretty sweet actually. i've never been muddin before

KTM
02-13-2008, 10:56 PM
When I was younger I got my truck stuck in a gravel pit trespassing, truck would not pull it out. I went and talked to my dad's buddy who had a brand new Case 721B end loader he let me and a buddy Drive it down the highway 10 miles to sneak back in and get the truck out! man I wish I was young again.

Gravel Rat
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
For starters the Chevy looks like it has bald tires or near bald tires and why somebody would take a dually truck mudding. That Dodge if its a Cummins it is so heavy it will sink like the Titanic :dizzy:

shovelracer
02-13-2008, 11:27 PM
The dodge sank cause of that big ugly smoke stack causing excessive down force. Man those things are ridiculous.

PatiosInstalled
02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
For starters the Chevy looks like it has bald tires or near bald tires and why somebody would take a dually truck mudding. That Dodge if its a Cummins it is so heavy it will sink like the Titanic :dizzy:

he didnt take it mudding he was a back up truck. with the puddle he got into i dont think it mattered if it was a diesel or gas it would have sucked any thing down. i didnt have any problems with the weight of my powerstroke tho.

you can knock that chevy all you what because he was totally stupid for taking that thing out with the condition its in and the weather condition.

Johnson LCO
02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
I went to the canal last year in my sisters lifted jeep wrangler. The conditions were similar top that and the jeep had no problems with getting stuck. It is stupid to go in those conditions because you never know whats at the bottom of those puddles. Some of them never go away and have scrap metal and auto parts at the bottom.

You also have to watch the locals, I have heard stories of them leaving traps. A friend of mine got stuck there and had to leave his jeep their overnight. When he came back the next morning, it had been shot all over the body, bullet holes all over it. Also every piece of glass was broken, they messed the entire thing up. I guess they feel it is thier territory or something. Anyway, why go off roading without a winch?

shovelracer
02-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Anyway, why go off roading without a winch?

.......................:)

shovelracer
02-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Mud is fun but rocks are better.

1wezil
02-14-2008, 12:14 AM
When I was younger I got my truck stuck in a gravel pit trespassing, truck would not pull it out. I went and talked to my dad's buddy who had a brand new Case 721B end loader he let me and a buddy Drive it down the highway 10 miles to sneak back in and get the truck out! man I wish I was young again.

where on highway 10 did you get stuck ?

KTM
02-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Is that your rig shovelracer? pretty sweet if it is.

KTM
02-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Meaning 10 miles down the highway, the highway was actually HWY 14 WI.

shovelracer
02-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Is that your rig shovelracer? pretty sweet if it is.

Yep thats my project truck. It was my DD back when it was new, but now it borders on being road legal so I mainly use it for wheeling and occasional sunday drive. 98 Tacoma 2.7L Dual Cases, SAS D44 front, 4.88 gears, locked F+R, Winch, OBA, Custom tubework, 35's. Those picks are old, it has some body small damage now.

topsites
02-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Lesson I learned a long time ago, don't test your car's ability on purpose :laugh:

And if it's 4wd that's even more reason not to, because when it fails to work it's that much worse.

Which isn't to say I've never had a problem.

zima
02-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeaa.................spit........spit.......redneck sport ....i hiar that

packey
02-14-2008, 11:18 AM
:):)from the pics it does not look like the trucks were the problem. Dumb choices by drivers who where not paying enough attention to their enviromemt got them stuck. It looks to me the ford never got near the nasty stuff maybe the operator knew better

shovelracer
02-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeaa.................spit........spit.......redneck sport ....i hiar that

Theres nothing wrong with being a redneck. Rednecks have jobs, its white trash you need to watch out for.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-14-2008, 12:10 PM
A phrase from Forrest Gump comes to mind.......Stupid is.....Stupid does

wayne

cgaengineer
02-14-2008, 05:39 PM

I went wheeling with our local chapter and ended up ruining my battery winching everyone out!! My truck is the White Tacoma, and the jeep is mine but I sold it. The Chevy was almost brand new (4000 miles) Like a rock, damn thing was on the mountain for over a month.

PatiosInstalled
02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
:):)from the pics it does not look like the trucks were the problem. Dumb choices by drivers who where not paying enough attention to their enviromemt got them stuck. It looks to me the ford never got near the nasty stuff maybe the operator knew better

trust me i knew i was going to have a hard time getting out if i got stuck so i pull up noticed the 5 degree slope on the trial that the chevy was stuck on and knew i couldnt make it. as for the cummins i guess he felt safe to drive through a water hole knowing he a powerstroke to pull is stuck a$$ out.

Blueribbonlawns
02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
This is what atv's are for lol.

Classified
02-15-2008, 02:49 AM

Nice, a TTORA member!

Im an ex TTORA member. not enought time or places to wheel so i sold my truck. i miss it alot but im over it now:clapping:

Chop Stuff Up
02-15-2008, 07:41 AM
I KNEW that area looked familiar! I'm surprised I haven't run into any of you guys down there. When I drowned my '79 Chevy I got help from the guys at firststatefourwheeler.com. The guy Brian with the bronco (on the website), I'm friends with his daughter. Took a 12,000lb winch and a 2nd truck pulling to get the sucker out.

cgaengineer
02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Nice, a TTORA member!

Im an ex TTORA member. not enought time or places to wheel so i sold my truck. i miss it alot but im over it now:clapping:

I dont have time either...2004 was the last time I went!!

shovelracer
02-15-2008, 01:11 PM
I used to go to Paragon 2 times a month, but they are closed now. Been to Rausch Creek a few times, but just cant find enough time lately. I used to be the NJ chapter president, but we didnt have enough local support so I stopped that. I still love my truck, but bought a house last year so havent had extra cash to finish the truck. Im trying to get to Tellico this summer. We'll see about that. I also considered selling the tacoma to get a new JK but cant bring myself to do it yet.

mag360
02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Paragon closed?

cgaengineer
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Paragon closed?

Lots of the ORV trails around here closed...seems they are only open for the tree huggers and the animals now.

Classified
02-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I dont have time either...2004 was the last time I went!!

Doing a bulk reply here

Yeah, when I sold my truck i hadent gone in a year and a half. I traded it in on a car and although it was nice to be able to go faster than 60mph without being floored and dowshifting all the time i missed the truck heavily. I have my superduty now, and it has filled just about every void out there. haha except no wheeling in that beast!

I used to go to Paragon 2 times a month, but they are closed now. Been to Rausch Creek a few times, but just cant find enough time lately. I used to be the NJ chapter president, but we didnt have enough local support so I stopped that. I still love my truck, but bought a house last year so havent had extra cash to finish the truck. Im trying to get to Tellico this summer. We'll see about that. I also considered selling the tacoma to get a new JK but cant bring myself to do it yet.

Yeah our Illinois chapter fell apart so that didnt help. I honestly yhink it was more of a growing up thing. I know a lot of older people wheel but its mostly a younger person deal. I do hope to get back into when i have some kids though. It would be fun to take 4x4 vacations.

This will show how long ive been out of it but what is a JK?

Paragon closed?

Yeah that sux, didnt know that till now.

Lots of the ORV trails around here closed...seems they are only open for the tree huggers and the animals now.

I want to pee on every one of those tree huggers. i cant stand them, but i dont want to rant so im stopping now.

cgaengineer
02-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Doing a bulk reply here

Yeah, when I sold my truck i hadent gone in a year and a half. I traded it in on a car and although it was nice to be able to go faster than 60mph without being floored and dowshifting all the time i missed the truck heavily. I have my superduty now, and it has filled just about every void out there. haha except no wheeling in that beast!

Yeah our Illinois chapter fell apart so that didnt help. I honestly yhink it was more of a growing up thing. I know a lot of older people wheel but its mostly a younger person deal. I do hope to get back into when i have some kids though. It would be fun to take 4x4 vacations.

Yeah that sux, didnt know that till now.

I want to pee on every one of those tree huggers. i cant stand them, but i dont want to rant so im stopping now.

Thing that gets me is we all pay for the right to use the land but we cant.

Classified
02-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Thing that gets me is we all pay for the right to use the land but we cant.

Yup, i was part of the many arguments over that crap on the ttora boards. funny thing is, where i live there no trails around here or even parks. the closest halfway decent orv park is 500 miles away.

shovelracer
02-15-2008, 09:35 PM

The new jeeps. I like the 4 door soft tops. Upgrades dont do anything for me cause I would replace the suspension and axles anyways.

Classified
02-15-2008, 10:39 PM
The new jeeps. I like the 4 door soft tops. Upgrades dont do anything for me cause I would replace the suspension and axles anyways.

AHHHH, going to the darkside! lol

ExclusiveLawnCare
02-16-2008, 12:21 AM
ha ha ha the pictures are great. Sucks for those guys.

But it looked fun, lol.

shovelracer
02-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Id really like to builld an FJ40 but I cant find one that isnt completely rotted out or way over priced. Something automatic would be idea so my wife can drive it. She is scared to drive the 5 speed, and it is scary when she does, but she gets better every time.

barefeetny
02-16-2008, 02:18 AM
tacoma territory wow i was a member back in like 99-02

i still got the tacoma..... are they still active.... the boards were good and then it was just flame wars over nothing

shovelracer
02-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Its absolutely out of control nowadays. I dont even go over there anymore. A million people asking the same 3 questions over and over, not searching, then not listening to the correct answers. Its become a real joke. The think SoCal is trying to take over the world. A lot of the old timers left and I just dont have time. I learn a lot more being over here instead.