PDA

View Full Version : litlle wonder blows its top!

MATTHEW
11-05-2001, 10:23 PM
Been using the little wonder for 2 weeks now. Today it made a big "POP" and died. I found some metal sticking out of a gap where the head gasket goes, and if I pull the recoil, I feel air blowing out. Now, I checked the oil and it was dry in there. It took 3/4 of a quart to fill it up. Do you think It is toast?

Eric ELM
11-05-2001, 10:29 PM
It doesn't sound good at all. :(

Dochere
11-05-2001, 10:52 PM
...metal sticking out of a gap where the head gasket goes...

Take it back and hope!

John DiMartino
11-05-2001, 11:06 PM
Mathew-is this the first time you checked the oil?It sounds like it popped a head gasket,could be related to the fact that it was overheating from lack of oil?My 8hp is 2 yrs old now,I have used opti-1 in it since new,it doesnt us any oil at all,Ive got about 75 hrs on it now,no trouble with it what so ever.BTW that enigne only holds a little more than 3/4 of a quart of oil.New equipment uses oil until broken in,from my experiences.

MuskTurfKing
11-05-2001, 11:55 PM
Sounds like it's warrenty to the rescue, hopefully.

Hank

David Gretzmier
11-06-2001, 02:15 AM
the same thing happened to me! I checked the oil every other use, and it blew out the side! oil went everywhere! dealer would not honor warranty on briggs, AND he talked me out of the Honda when I bought it originally. buddy of mine bought it, repalced the 8 I/C with a new10 horse I/C briggs, 20 hours later now it leaks oil ! I had a 5 horse used billy goat blower for a while, no problems but hard starting. wonder if anyone else has experienced the Little Wonder/Briggs problem...

John DiMartino
11-06-2001, 06:11 PM
I guess me and my cousin have been lucky,neither of us has had any trouble with our 8 hp briggs.I wanted the Honda,but 300 dollars difference,and I really do not use it enough to justify the cost.Like i said,I have been running OPTI-4 in it since new,this doubles my manufacturers warranty,so Im still in warranty,from Opti that is.

CSRA Landscaping
11-06-2001, 07:01 PM
My 8HP LW likes to use a little oil after it's run for a while. Smoke starts billowing out all of a sudden. If I idle it down for a minute and then take it back up again, it's ok.

K9LWT
11-06-2001, 08:34 PM
I just brought home a LW 10hp briggs today. Needless to say, I will be checking the oil before each use. Mine came with a 5yr warranty-I think it even includes the briggs.

Turfdude
11-06-2001, 11:58 PM
Very IMPORTANT....

All push blowers w/ briggs & strattonengines need to do the following:

1. When purchasing have dealer inal an oil alert sensor (cost approx $10.00 This will make the warranty go back to the manufacturer because these engines burn a lot of oil!

2. Check oillevel at start of day and if being used for hours on end at lunch break too. The engines e excellent, but keep an eye on the oil level.;)

Schools out for today.

fireball
11-07-2001, 08:16 AM
you can have the proper amount of oil and still overheat the engine. You have to pay attention to the leaves getting stuck on the air intake screens for the cooling fins. This causes the early demise of most blowers. We are still running 8hp Briggs cast iron giant vac blowers today. They never had optima 1 or mobile one in them. Negative thing about them is they weigh twice as much as a comparable machine today.

AVRECON
11-07-2001, 09:23 AM
If you guys are going to buy a blower, make sure you get the Honda engine. Been there and done that with the Briggs. Briggs are good engines, but not worth a damn on a parking lot blower.

TLS
11-07-2001, 09:57 AM
Hey guys, how do we know that MATTHEWS LW is new??

I got the impression that its old and hes just been using it regularly for 2 weeks.

If it is new, (2weeks) then absolutely persue warranty. But if not, then your looking at a new engine! Dont fret, they're not too expensive!

Let us know.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
11-07-2001, 12:43 PM
John D ???

3/4's of a quart.. I just did mine today and it took 1 and 1/2 quarts to show up in the full section of the dipstick.. Thats what I used last time as well .. I thought it was alot ??? But ?? 3/4s did not even show up on dipstick at all ?? I also use the Optima oil, but am out so started using the Amsoil sythetics..

TLS
11-07-2001, 01:07 PM
Mine takes 2 3/4 pints and no dipstick. Just a thumb screw. Fill till it flows out. 8hp I/C Briggs.

MATTHEW
11-08-2001, 05:56 PM
AAAAAAH!!! TLS, very observant! This baby is about 10 years old!!! And John Dimartino was right on the money,too. OK I got lazy and did not check the oil. It never used any the last 10 years, so I figured it would'nt start now. I check the oil religiously in all other equipment. Why do I neglect this old relic that would cost $700.00 to replace, I just don't know. I will start..... tomarrow.;)
YES, BUT THERE IS GOOD NEWS!!! I put a new head gasket on, and cleaned the head and block, and guess what-it fired right up and ran great all day!:blob3:

rats5656
11-08-2001, 06:37 PM
14hp frandan blower how often should icheck and oil for this machine

John DiMartino
11-08-2001, 07:10 PM
I dont know what engine you have,Il assume its a 14hp Vanguard Briggs.The side valve briggs can run very hot,so they need to have it checked every 2-3 hrs,if run hard.I only have 1 sidevalve briigs,and its the 8 hp blower,mine never runs for more than 15 minutes at a time anyway.I always check it every toime I use it,befroe the first start of the day.With my Honda's I dont check it at all most times,since I know they do not use oil,and if they do the oil alert shuts it down if I put it on a side hill,then I know its time to add oil.all my equipment gets oil checked beofre 1 st start in morning,this is the most accurate way to check it,no need to wipe the stick,just pull it out,and get a good reading.

MATTHEW
11-08-2001, 10:16 PM
It is the old Briggs 8. Doesn't even have a dipstick. Just the old cap where you look in and hope its wet. Come to think of it, it might be older than I thought. I bought it at an auction from the company I worked for while I was still there. It was the one I used, and I always took good care of it. Anyway, with the nasty drought this year, I did not want to be dropping that kind of cash when there's only a couple of weeks left, know what I mean?;)

leaflawnandlimb
11-08-2001, 10:37 PM
A briggs engine on a blower? Haa, fill the oil and check the gas! Never again will I own a blower with a briggs.

TLS
11-08-2001, 10:47 PM
I have had my LW with 8hp Briggs I/C since 1986. I only use it for leaves and a few parking lots during the cutting season. Doesn't use any oil. Cant justify the Honda upgrade when the Briggs has been so reliable (it'll probably blow tomorrow!! LOL).

DanG
11-09-2001, 01:58 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who has has problems with B&S engines.
This spring I had a 5hp I/C on my trac-vac that dropped a valve, destroyed the block and head and on the advice of my dealer I replaced it with what he said was an upgrade.

Now I have a almost brand new(20hrs or so) OHV 6.5hp on my bagger for my trac vac which is used for spring and fall cleanups.

One second it was running fine and the next it was still running but not sucking up anything or blowing air out of the back of the bagger

It sheared the crankshaft when I was using it on monday.
The key way is still Ok and the impeller is fine.

But the warranty on commercial use is only 90 days and since I bought it 4 months ago I guess i'm SOL.
And the dealer says since it's a crank problem they'd deny it anyway and say that it broke because I hit something with it.
Isn't that what the key way is there for?To shear first?

Needless to say I'm PO'ed at that dealer and with briggs and stratton.:angry:

Dan G.

John DiMartino
11-09-2001, 08:02 PM
Dan,I bought a Honda for my trac-vac,so i have zero problems with it.It runs for hours sometimes,so I figured it was a good investment,my blower on the other hand,is so strong,that it rarely runs for more than 15 minutes at a time,so I saved the 300 bucks and got the briggs.