PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have saltwater fish tanks?

FinerCutslawnCare
02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I just wanted to see on here who all had saltwater tanks and saltwater reef tanks??? I think they are relaxing and cool after coming home from a hard day of work! (that is after you get them running right):laugh:

shepoutside
02-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I do :)

Got a 85 FOWLR, and a 120 Reef. Have a sea-horse tank in the future plans too

SouthernYankee
02-13-2008, 11:48 PM
How much money do you have invested in your tank and how hard is it to maintain and start up? I am a long time Oscar tank kinda guy , but I have always wondered about salt water tanks.

FinerCutslawnCare
02-13-2008, 11:50 PM
i have a 29 g biocube cycling right now and am having some problems with my amonia being way high! checked it today and it was 8.0!!! So i did a massive water change to see if i can get it down. Nitrate, Nitrite at 0, ph at 8.2 and salinity is at 1.023! Makes me mad and i am getting impatient!:cry:

FinerCutslawnCare
02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
^^^^ Put is this way, at the beggining it isn't fun and is somewhat challenging to get your tank cycled and make sure everything(levels of salt, amonia, ph, nitrates, nitrates and temp is right). After that it isn't to hard, just do weekly water changes of about 15% of the amount of gallons and you should be fine. Now if you are going to have a coral tank it is alittle harder as you have more stuff to check out and need different lighting etc. The one thing i have learned from saltwater tanks is patience, but in the end they are def worth it and kick the crap out of freshwater fish!

shepoutside
02-14-2008, 03:38 AM
i have a 29 g biocube cycling right now and am having some problems with my amonia being way high! checked it today and it was 8.0!!! So i did a massive water change to see if i can get it down. Nitrate, Nitrite at 0, ph at 8.2 and salinity is at 1.023! Makes me mad and i am getting impatient!:cry:

IMHO, if you do a massive water change, it's like starting over. Your cycling the tank, and the spikes are normal. Most don't change the water, till you intro fish in to the tank, after the cycle. Don't forget to use R/O water too.

outlaw1960
02-14-2008, 07:56 AM
90 gallon reef, 58 gallon fo....take your time, too big of a waterchange will start your cycle again

Pro-Scapes
02-14-2008, 08:22 AM
IMHO, if you do a massive water change, it's like starting over. Your cycling the tank, and the spikes are normal. Most don't change the water, till you intro fish in to the tank, after the cycle. Don't forget to use R/O water too.

I Dont do saltwater right now but have one planned. I used to have a 240 reef tank as the headboard to my bed. Yes very relaxing.

On the Ammonia levels. Yes RO water is a must for reef tanks and you need to add in the proper minerals.... some of the better salts out there will contain the minerals. I have a thin film RO filter in my house. Only puts out 26 gpd so takes a few days to fill a larger tank. If I ever do a large large tank again we will be remodeling and have r/o water on tap and a drain at the tank.

Is your amonia peaking before introducing damsels or another hardy fish ? I always cycled my tanks with damsel fish. There is a product out there called RIGHT NOW! that will establish your nitrogen cycle in 1-2 days and its worked well in my freshwater tanks and claims its for saltwater too.

DO NOT do a water change why your tank is cycling. Some say 50% on water changes but I did it every 4 weeks with 25% changed.

A good test kit is a MUST if your going to do saltwater. Also dont get cheap on filtration. We ran a 30 gallon wet dry and also had protien skimmers and uv lighting as needed. The proper lighting is also a must with reefs. If you have never done a reef tank and want to I would highly recommend you let a pro set it up to get you going right and help you maintain it for the first couple of months. Its money well spent.

FinerCutslawnCare
02-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Yea i don't have my protein skimmer running yet as i heard it will slow down the cycle...i have been reading alot on the site saltwaterfish.com beings they have forums and it is very interesting! Even if my amonia is at 8.0 i should still add damsels? I figure even though they are such a hardy fish nothing could live through the amonia of that reading...then again i could be wrong! My last tank only took a week to cycle but this one is taking forever. I think the amonia might have killed all my live rock, maybe i have no idea!

outlaw1960
02-14-2008, 08:14 PM
go to reefmonkey.com if you have a thick skin, if not try, reefcentral.com...family friendly, both sites have tons of good information...steve

outlaw1960
02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Wait on the damsels, 8.0 ammonia is way to high for fish...are you using ro/di water?

FinerCutslawnCare
02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I used distilled water

clcare2
02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Anybody ever do a predator tank?

I have 3 9" pirhana right now and would like to switch over to something alot more aggressive.

Just wondering about options?

shepoutside
02-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Some have shark tanks. Here is my brothers tank......

GreenT
02-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Years ago I was in the saltwater fish business, mainly retail. I had at one point 9 tanks throughout the house, from 30gl mini reef to 180gl with nothing but lionfish. Did the eels, the rays, the sharks, seahorses,etc.

I became disillusioned with the hobby after the evidence started mounting on the damage to reef environments from fish/coral collecting.

A well done tank is a beautiful thing but in the end is a selfish act. It's just not worth it to me now.

SouthernYankee
02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Anybody ever do a predator tank?

I have 3 9" pirhana right now and would like to switch over to something alot more aggressive.

Just wondering about options?

I have a mean old Oscar , I wouldnt call him super aggressive , but he can be rather mean . Every day with out fail he hits the top of the hood and front lids sending water all over my floor. You might want to check out Jack Dempsys.

How hard was it to get a pirhana? Are those legal in Indy?

How much and how hard is an octopus tank?

GravelyGuy
02-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Put some more pics up. I love fish tanks, all I have is fresh water though. The biggest one I have is 75 gallons.

FinerCutslawnCare
03-02-2008, 12:51 AM
octopus if am not mistaken are very hard to take care of. You have to have everything sealed off as these creatures are amazing escape artist! Talked to a guy once that didn't have everything sealed off and octopus snuk up into his filter and got blended up lol!

shepoutside
03-02-2008, 02:27 AM
Years ago I was in the saltwater fish business, mainly retail. I had at one point 9 tanks throughout the house, from 30gl mini reef to 180gl with nothing but lionfish. Did the eels, the rays, the sharks, seahorses,etc.

I became disillusioned with the hobby after the evidence started mounting on the damage to reef environments from fish/coral collecting.

A well done tank is a beautiful thing but in the end is a selfish act. It's just not worth it to me now.

remember those days, but now most fish are farm raised, and the live rock, it now manufactured rock, that they dump in the ocean, to become live rock. THings have changed. In Canada, there are a lot of regulations, as to the import of fish.

This is my fav, a long horned cow fish ( box fish family)

shepoutside
03-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Here's a reef tank :)

dwc
03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a 24 gallon nano reef tank. Several corals and only 1 fish left right now. Just had a clown fish die so down to just 1. Here is a pic.

dwc
03-02-2008, 10:26 PM
another pic

dwc
03-02-2008, 10:27 PM
candy cane coral

dwc
03-02-2008, 10:28 PM
closeup of the open brain coral

clcare2
03-03-2008, 07:13 AM
I have a mean old Oscar , I wouldnt call him super aggressive , but he can be rather mean . Every day with out fail he hits the top of the hood and front lids sending water all over my floor. You might want to check out Jack Dempsys.

How hard was it to get a pirhana? Are those legal in Indy?

How much and how hard is an octopus tank?

Unlike a lot of the country pirhana are legal in Indiana. They can be extremely vicious but the most common are red bellies, which are skittish.
Mine only eat at night witht the lights off. But I go through 120 large feeders a week. Every now and then I buy a large Koi and let them go at it and so far Pirhana 10 , koi 0.

Pro-Scapes
03-03-2008, 08:09 AM
usually if your in an area that freezes your ok with piranaha. Just ask your local dealer. I had some years ago in chicago but they got expensive and it was a hassle. I then went saltwater and it got even more expensive and a hassle.

I will try to find pics of my old 240 tank. I think at one point I had 13k into it. Seahorses are pretty and when your single a chick magnet but the live brine shrimp dinners are rough.

with an amonia of 8.0 dont add a thing. If it doesnt fall soon drain out most the water and fill it with RO/DI water from your local saltwater supply store and add a product called RIGHT NOW! which will help you with your cycle.

We had it all in ours. Manderain goby... lionfish... clown fish... triggers..snails...hawks...puffers and they all lived together fine. I did add some feeders twice per week to keep them happy along with thier daily feedings.

FinerCutslawnCare
03-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I have a nano tank! 29 biocube to be exact and you just gotta love them! My dream some day is to have an in wall tank, but the plumbing and money for one of those is crazy!

SouthernYankee
03-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of their piranha tanks?