PDA

View Full Version : sell or keep

GreenerSideLC
02-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I have a 1995 Dodge ram 1500 with 120k . I recently bought a newer 2500 and im at the point whether or not to sell the 1500. I could keep it as a backup truck in case i have a problem with the 2500 use it for fertilizing or odd jobs. the suspension is pretty weak so it cant hold the load the 2500 can. Ive been solo but plan to hire someone this year . If I try to sell it now i can get around $3500-4000 for it and invest that money into the bus. Im sure many of you have been in a situation on whether to sell or keep a piece of equipment. your opinions would be appreciated

All_Toro_4ME
02-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Tough decision. Do you have all of the equipment you need for yourself plus an employee? You could have both trucks out with crews doing the route if you have that many accts. Or you could sell it and buy a 2nd walkbehind. (Assuming you dont already have a 2nd walkbehind mower)

GreenerSideLC
02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Actually I have 2 ZTR thats why i need the 2500. The 1500 just did have the power.

d&rlawncare
02-14-2008, 04:46 PM
keep it. Its paid for and you never know when you will need a backup!!!!!!!!!!!

Landrus2
02-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Sell it or it will rot on your drive way. If your truck ever breaks down you go out and rent one for that period.

topsites
02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Sell it now if you don't use it because the blue book value drops like a rock, one or two more years and it won't hardly be worth 2 g's...
Maybe not quite but I've watched my vehicles go from being worth 4-5000 down to 1000-1500 in 5 or 6 years, so I wouldn't hang on to it unless you plan on driving it, you know if you need a spare you can always buy a beater later.
You can always rent one if it's just for a few days, too...

GreenerSideLC
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
hey thanks for the replies. I think I will try to sell. I ll give it like 2 months, if it sells then i have extra money for the business, if not I ll just keep it and run it into the ground.

topsites
02-16-2008, 08:39 PM
hey thanks for the replies. I think I will try to sell. I ll give it like 2 months, if it sells then i have extra money for the business, if not I ll just keep it and run it into the ground.

For myself I stick the Blue Book Fair Private party value on it and no haggling.
(Unless it's in good condition but all of mine are always fair heh).

It's simple that way, I got it down to a system so I eliminate all of the nonsense and wannabe buyers and that's probably the worst of it is gracefully shooing away all the "hey what's the least you'll accept for that" folks but other than that it sells.

If it desperately needs something to keep from blowing up I fix that, I prefer it if it can pass inspection but I won't go too far out of my way to make sure it does either. So long it runs and falls under 'fair' condition this is normal, buyers know most cars of this category need work but it does run 'as is' and can be driven home that day, might need a jump start and air in a tire.
Wash and wax and a good vacuum and interior clean up does as much.

Then it can take 6-12 months especially with 3/4 tons and bmw's and t-birds lol.
But they always sell, just a matter of time.

Lawnvision
02-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Is it nickle and diming you? I have a 1999 F-250 that i bought used in 2002. It is completely rusted out and the exhaust manifolds are toast...I'm trading it in on my next purchase.

Ooomwizard
02-16-2008, 10:05 PM
I'd say keep it.

1) It's a backup vehicle. (if your truck breaks down you'll have to pay for repairs AND a rental)
2) You can let a partner or employee use it without much worry if they screw it up.
3) a few thousand will evaporate like water unless you have a specific purchase in mind.
4) I still use my '94 RAM 1500 daily and it has 235,000 miles. Probalby drive at least 4 hours a day. I still love it. Yours should have lots of life left.
5) If you use signage you may look like a bigger outfit.
6) you can haul twice as much garbage away from a jobsite. (With an employee.)

Thats just my opinion. Do what you feel is right, it's probably the right thing to do!

Mark in ATL