PDA

View Full Version : home and garden shows

Pro-Scapes
02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I know some of you guys have done home and garden shows in the past. We already booked a 10 x 10 in one for an upcoming show.

Can any of you show some photos of how you did your booth or email me privatly if you do not wish to show them ? I got a good idea of what we will do but open to ideas and suggestions.

Lite4
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok Billy, you must be reading my mind. I was going to post some of my ideas for a couple of booth layouts for you guys to give my your opinion about. Put yours up Billy, I will post mine up in a few minutes.

Lite4
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Ok, here is my first idea. This more in the vein of keeping things simple and elegant. This booth will portray a sense of refinement and elegance using dark wood tables or cabinets with a charcoal colored concrete counter top with quartz flecks in it. A friend of mine does these and he polishes em and makes em look just like granite, but we will be intergrating fiber optic lights into the pour so that the top twinkles with different colors. I would also light up my logo which would be integrated into the table tops. The photo books I would display would be professionaly bound in a manner that looks like it came from a publisher. These would be 12" x 12" and filled with large photos of work. Just next to it would be a contact sheet with some pertinant questions for the prospective client to answer to help in pre qualifying. They would then just drop the sheet into the pre made slot. I would also have a 42 LCD flat screen doing a pictorial slideshow of my work to be easily seen from the aisle. In the back would be a couple of dark wood posts that would match the tables. These would be supporting a 7' x 4' full color banner. Ok that is #1

Lite4
02-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Ok, this one is a bit more unique. This booth is based on the premise of using a hook to get people to come into my booth. You will notice I still have the photo books, but on 2 individual tables. My hook will be a box of fireflies (not real ones obviously) but from the company with the link below. Since I am firefly lighting, this seemed like a good hook to go with my catch phrase "Capture the Magic". The box would be in a refined wood to match the tables and would be about 6 feet tall so that adults won't have to stoop down to see the lights from the flies. There will be 2 screen windows, one tall for adults and one low for kids. The box will be lined with black felt so it is pitch black inside. The fireflies will be hung near the back of the box to retain the illusion of real flies without wires. The 42" tv with the slideshow would be mounted on top of the firefly box and would extend up to 8 feet high. I don't know where I would mount a banner in this one. Ok, here is the problem I see with this one. The fireflies may be too popular and may cause a crowding effect in the front of my booth so no can look at the photo books or sign up for a consult. I may just have a full booth of looky lues that are not interested in lighting and just the novelty of the cute little flies in the box. The customers I want may just keep going because of the wait and all the people jammed into a small space. I think it would be a good hook for me, I am just not sure if this booth may be too small for this. I am also worried about it looking too cluttered. Ok, this is #2. Please give me some honest feedback.

http://www.magicalfireflies.com/

barefeetny
02-15-2008, 12:41 AM
firefly,

i have been lurking on the lighting page for a short time and let me say I really am impressed by what you and others are doing....

I personaly like 2

Even if you attract a crowd.... anyones whos amazed will stick around to talk and ask questions.At least i do.. Ever here of pandoras box...don't touch the red button or as stupid as this sounds try this

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Do_NOT_click_any_links!

plus nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd

The first option just looks like most other booths... there may not be enough of a grab.. to stop people from walking to another destination...

Nate

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2008, 07:14 AM
wow Tim great plan. I have about 3 weeks to integrate a good plan and like the 1st idea but I have no use for the fireflies obviously. I am batteling with the idea of doing a nice stone wall (via a hardscape friend) and placing a couple trees in there and lighting them but I dont think it will have the drama. I also thought about just doing some nice framed poster size photos of our work and have a slide show running on the plasma like you mentioned but you just kicked this whole thing up a notch for me as far as laying the booth out.

I think I need to talk to our cabinet building friend!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Tim you have a couple of excellent scenarios there. I would say use the method that is going to attract your target market best.

If you want to attract masses of people, most with no real interest in contracting your services, but willing to pick up a freebie and perhaps some of your literature, then go with #2.

If you would rather use your both and resources as effectively as possible I would go with a modified #1.

I have done a few big trade shows, never in a 10x10 booth, always teamed up with others (Landscaper, Bartlett Tree, Dock Builder, and Me) in a large 30x10 and then 50x20 booth. Each time we built up this booth it was done with one motivation in mind. To attract our exact target clients to walk into the booth space and engage us one on one. We did this by building very impressive and very expensive displays. It was funny because at slower times we would see people saunter by and invite them to "come in", they would smile, and then comment along the lines of "no thanks, I can't afford to go in there." We all smiled.

Trade shows are exhausting experiences. You want to spend your time and resources engaged with your target market, with those in attendance who are there to make purchase decisions. The last thing you want, or can afford, is to be talking to a well meaning 'tire kicker' or 'price shopper' when the real prospect enters your booth and his interest goes unserviced. Learning to identify who your real clients are in a trade show crowd is an art. I learned that by installing a very impressive, high end, obviously expensive presence at the show, you will naturally dissuade the casually interested from taking up your time and resources.

Once again, it all depends on your target market. If you want to engage everyone out there interested in outdoor lighting who has $2 to $5k to spend, then get them in there... you just might have to get a bigger booth though.

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-15-2008, 07:47 AM
wow Tim great plan. I have about 3 weeks to integrate a good plan and like the 1st idea but I have no use for the fireflies obviously. I am batteling with the idea of doing a nice stone wall (via a hardscape friend) and placing a couple trees in there and lighting them but I dont think it will have the drama. I also thought about just doing some nice framed poster size photos of our work and have a slide show running on the plasma like you mentioned but you just kicked this whole thing up a notch for me as far as laying the booth out.

I think I need to talk to our cabinet building friend!

Co-operating, sharing and integrating your booth space with other, complimentary trades is an excellent approach. Just be sure you do not get in too much trouble with the show producers as they sometime frown (heavily) on this practise.

Also, check and see if you are allowed to 'tent' or otherwise darken your booth space. If you are doing a typical 10x10 space, then you can easily pick up one of those nice 10x10 garden shelters at Target or where ever... then assemble it on top of leg extensions so that there is about 12' of clearance under the tent. This will effectively block out the ambient light of the show space and shade/darken the booth space so that your lighting shows much better. The slide show on the flat screen will pop out more too.

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2008, 07:58 AM
James your right. There is no subletting of booth space. I am looking for a black easy up canopy to darken my booth and then we could light a tree but I am worried about the light looking funky on the framing of the booth.

I agree it would make the plasma pop out more. I am toying with some ideas about constructing a cabinet. Not sure if I want all that black background and such and out black shirts when I am all about lighting but it would lend to darkness and the effect lighting has on it. I may need to upgrade to a 10x20 or double booth I will inquire on that.

extlights
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
If you could....please keep me updated after the show on how it went. We have done shows in the past, but stopped because it just seemed like our primary target customers aren't the ones going to these shows. We've asked alot of our past customers if they attend home and garden shows and most of them say no..due to lack of time or whatever. I'm not opposed to trying it again, I'm just curious on the response other lighting professionals might get.

Lite4
02-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Thank you for the response guys. Your input is invaluable to me. James, I wholeheartedly agree with you about attracting the wrong target, hence my reservations about setting up booth #2. The show I am in is the #1 show in the valley, and it is only a flower and garden show, not a home show. Only things related to the green industry and landscaping will be here. This shows draws an average of 15k people and it draws the most affluent demographicly of all the shows around here. I will have one of my competitors in this show as well, so I really need to "outshine" him, so to speak. I am leaning more towards booth #1. Not only because it is easier to install but I think it would look much more elegant and refined. I an not even going to have fixtures out for anyone to look at, since I am not selling "The Fixture", but rather the design. Oh, I will have a big bang and a brass bullet lying around if they need to hold one, but I am focusing on pictures, pictures, pictures. I can't show lighting effects inside a 10 x 10 very well so I am not even going to try. I am open for more feedback so fire away.

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Tim. Our show too is garden and landscapes only. Unsure if any of my competitors will be displaying lighting.

I have toyed with uplighting a tree but i think I will stick to photos and possibly have a few fixtures on hand. Heavey fixtures are always impressive.

Lite4
02-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Billy, I had totally different plans about my booth. I called Tommy the Geek and ran it by him. He has done a ton of these shows and he gave me the pointers about keeping it clean and elegant. He said he has done it both ways (even with the fireflies), and drew a better clientel by simplifying and just showing pictures.

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
thats what i thought. I may decorate the booth with a couple of nice trees then line it with photos and have a couple of fixtures on display but unlit. The 42 inch tossing slides in the background and out nice leather bound portfolio on the counter with cards and brochures.

I will have a stack of our client data sheets handy and will be sure they know what systems start at BEFORE they complete the sheets.

Lite4
02-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Sounds like a great plan. Tommy is getting me the link for the photo books. I will pass it on when I get it.

NightLightingFX
02-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Yah,
I think the most effective way to do a booth at a home show is to keep it simple. I like Tim's ideas - the booth would look very impressive but quite a bit of work and expensive. I think great pics can do everything for you. I have a show coming up on the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, I am going to have a computer screen showing all my good pics. I have a banner w/ logo and elegant pic, I have one of Uniques' Endeavors on hand I think I will put that in my booth lighting up my presentation book. I have a guy who specializes only on building fences and pergolas. He asked me to light up his fence panels. So I dug up all my fixtures that where laying around and told him he can use all my fixtures at his booth. What ever interest is generated with the lights at his booth he will direct to me. I am not a big fan of path lights but I have some on hand - they might help spruce up the fence guys booth. I am curious to see how this partnership develops.
~Ned

Dennis Spencer
02-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Shows are a lot of work long days in a 10x10. A lot of tire kickers looking for freebies.Have a candy jar and be ready to talk.

Pro-Scapes
02-16-2008, 09:21 AM
candy jar is a nice idea but i wonder if it will attract the wrong crowd for lighting. I thought about having a cooler full of bottled water for people who seem half was serious just to kind of relax em.

My main attraction should be the big screen showing photos... Just need to come up with a nice looking solution to mount it

Lite4
02-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Billy, depending on how high you want to mount it, there are some excellent floor stands out there you can mount it on. Go to ebay and search LCD tv stands, and you will pull up quite a few.

Pro-Scapes
02-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Billy, depending on how high you want to mount it, there are some excellent floor stands out there you can mount it on. Go to ebay and search LCD tv stands, and you will pull up quite a few.

Eye level when standing wouldnt you think ? around 6 ft tall??

NightScenes
02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Here are a few shots of my display. I only do one show a year and it's pretty small. I do it because it supports the local building association and the boy scouts.

NightLightingFX
02-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Paul,
nice pics of your booth. Thanks for posting it. What size are your panels? What size is that booth? 10'X10'? The way you designed your panels it looks like you can modify it to fit in various different size booths.
~Ned

Pro-Scapes
02-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I wish I had more time to play with this. We are constructing a flagstone faced wall to mount the 42" plasma to which will be tossing slides. I will have a trans mounted to a post with UPB controls inside it. Various area lights mounted around the booth.

My only hessitation so far is if we should or should not purchase a black ezup to darken the booth and use black sidewalls.

Lite4
02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Billy, what are the dates of your show?

Pro-Scapes
02-19-2008, 09:35 PM
march 7 8 and 9 so just over 2 weeks to prep

Chris J
02-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Billy,
I've done lots of these shows and the one thing that will drive you nuts is all the questions that people ask if they don't know EXACTLY what you're selling. My advice is to keep it really simple, but with lots of photos and slide shows. If you start building walls, you're gonna get asked about flagstone. If you put up plants, you're going to be asked about the cost of that. I had a lady ask me about mulch one time just because I had it around some plants in the booth!
Good luck on your show. Just remember KISS.

NightScenes
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks Ned, the panels are made up of 4x8 sheets of plywood and there are 2 of these for each wall. The corners are 1' wide and sit on a 45 degree angle. They are all connected with hinges so all we have to do is pop the pins to take it apart. It also makes it easy to adjust and move the walls. The booth is 10x10. I think the basketball hoop is a great touch as well.

irrig8r
02-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Nicely done Paul.
And thanks for being generous enough to share your ideas about how to go about it.

BTW, what are the fixtures you use at the top of the panels and how do you wire them?

NightScenes
02-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Gregg, the fixtures are Kichler 15396AZT small wash lights on the walls and 15384AZT in the corners. They are all using 20 watt lamps. They are mounted using 15607 mounting brackets and there is a hole drilled through the center for the wire to pass through. They are then hooked up by "quick disks" in a "T" method with the wire running along the top/back of the display.

I almost forgot, there is a lizard light on each end.

NightLightingFX
02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Paul, THANK YOU!!!
For your pics of your home show booth. Your booth inspired me to make a booth similar to yours. I couldnít copy it exact ally because I am a one man show. I had to create something that one person can manage all by themselves. Those 8x4 panels are too hard too carry, store and transport. So I used your hinge concept and made smaller panels 6x2. However, I pretty much copied your home show display (as you can see by the pics) and I am having overwhelming success. This show that I have been doing this week-end has been AWSOME!!! For all of you out there wondering how to create a home show display copy Paulís booth. Everyone who sees my booth knows actually what I do. And everyone has assumed it is expensive which has been great. I just wanted to thank Paul and share my experience re: home shows with you guys. I have to get ready to finish up my last day at my home show
~Ned
P.S. All the pics in the display are all mine except the one right next to the computer screen. That is a pic I got from Unique. It was something I had printed a while back so I used it.

The Lighting Geek
02-24-2008, 02:20 PM
WOW, good stuff! Good topic. Here is my experience:
I did 10 shows last year, 2 on my own and 8 with a landscape designer that i want to work more with. I manned his booth with a designer and without in a typical 10 x10 with tables and a monitor, sets of plans with before and afters, etc. I had my banner on the wall and had many respond and ask about lighting. I have a different view of shows after that to say the least. Every time I showed them pictures it captivated them, no matter the booth. I made picture books that look published and that is the bomb. I display about 25-30 fixtures in my booth and it only gets people who are fixated on the fixtures and how they look, and most of the time they are shopping. I don't go the shows to sell anymore. I go to brand my company and to have fun, and it shows. Everytime I had people filling out something I could not get a response out 60% of them. They were mostly tire kickers. If someone is serious about lighting I take down thier info and tell them I will contact them after the show. Much higher hit rate. I am simplifying my booth all the time, and I use fireflies on display to bring them in, kids love it. It is my humble opinion, that people are going to be interested based on you, your personality and professionalism, and your work portfolio. The booth only brings them to you, the rest is up to you.

Here are some pics of different setups I have used. I am simplifying more this year. Last show I had 2 10 x 10 next to each other and the 24"x36" canvas on easils helped out.

Pro-Scapes
02-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Tommmy thanks for sharing thoes. I am stressing about our show but I think its going to be real nice. I will post some pics when we do it next week.

Hope we get a decent turn out from it all.

Pro-Scapes
03-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Well. We got it all set up today. I really did go lax on the fixtures... just enough to really show we did lighting. I had a couple of specialty lights we wanted to use but it just looked cluttered. Had to omit the observers and i3 planters unfortunatly but did find a nice place for the endeavors.

Yes I know people will ask me about the walls and plants but that's ok. It draws them in and some of our best friends do that type of work. Be nice its our first show. The keyboard and such will be out of view during the showing.

next time I will definatly do a tall canopy or a gazebo type structure. you cant see the lighting effects at all. The slideshow is really nice tho. Thanks to everyone for thier input. show runs tmrw til sunday.

klkanders
03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Billy, I see you got your brochures. They looked great! Is that a Vista 4260 rail light i see?

irrig8r
03-06-2008, 10:57 PM
And is that a Gambino pathlight on the left by the brochures?

Pro-Scapes
03-06-2008, 11:01 PM
brochures came in last week and i am pretty pleased with them. Its a good size investment to have them designed and printed but i think it will be well worth it in the end.

I didnt have a vista rail light so thats an integral I had laying around for the past year that I had purchased for on a jobsite. I did get the new evening star version today and like it much better than the integral. It does stick out a bit more. Seems great for interlocking stuff but im unsure about it for natural flag walls. We would have to spec the lips hang over more on the cap if we planned to use either of these.

Lite4
03-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Booth looks good. I hope you sell a ton.

Pro-Scapes
03-06-2008, 11:50 PM
And is that a Gambino pathlight on the left by the brochures?

certainly is... also in the background on that table are the bullet and washlight... could not justify or figure out a way to show off the downlight or tree lights. Was going to display the trans but that booth got REAL small REAL fast so it found a home under the table. May still move it after we add a tree to the left of the plasma tmrw. Man this is a crapload of work. I have had installs that were easier. I think its just the unorganized mass chaos of fitting 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag.

I gotta give extra thanks to some people... Tim Ryan for all his help and generosity... Mike Gambino for his help and willingness to share his hard work and knowledge...Burt Wilson for coming up to help me this weekend... joey D and debra burke for hooking me up with a few treats and the rest of you guys who chimmed in with replies and have helped us over the years. thanks Guys!

ChampionLS
03-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Billy,

Hope you do well at your show. I just returned home from the Philadelphia Flower Show. All I can say is W-O-W! I shot about 300 pictures. Some of the displays were 5,000 Sq Ft.

We are also working on an install with natural stone for the new Crescent wall light. I'll post some photos as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Anthony

Pro-Scapes
03-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Billy,

Hope you do well at your show. I just returned home from the Philadelphia Flower Show. All I can say is W-O-W! I shot about 300 pictures. Some of the displays were 5,000 Sq Ft.

We are also working on an install with natural stone for the new Crescent wall light. I'll post some photos as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Anthony

traditionally we dont put much overhang and we dont do interlocking stuff. Carr's landscape now does all out walls and he uses natural stone only. This craftsmen are amazing with it.

The Lighting Geek
03-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Well Billy, you just discovered why so many don't do shows...LOL It is alot of work. It takes me 2 full days with laborers to set up and one day to tear down. But we have been using the same display with small changes. I am not doing fireflies anymore because they stopped making the ones we carry. ANd I am simplifying my booth this time (May 2008)

I have an idea of a trailer with 3 high end projectors shooting onto 50" or so lexan screens. 7x14 enclosed with entire side dropping down as a ramp. All my fixtures would permanently mounted inside or on drop down table out front, and would use 4 servers to run
the displays. The concept would be the trailer could be parked, the tongue removed and using airbags, the trailer would settle down and level itself. the side ramp (ADA approved of course) would lower using a linear actuator and an awning would pull out if needed outside. Setup would only take 30 minutes to an hour on the morning of the show. At night you hit the remote, it closes up and 'chirp chirp' the alarm sets and you go home. Everything secure. The 3 screens would be setup with the middle one vertical and the 2 outside ones horizontal. The center one is looping a kitchen scene of a kitchen of a house with a veiw of the backyard. the side ones would be showing slides of jobs. when someone triggers an event by stepping on a mat or passing by a motion dedector, the center screen has someone walkout and introduce themselves as one of my customers. and they talk about what they wanted. they point to the side as they talk and that screen changes to what they are talking about, a party for instance, the other screen fades out. this goes on for 1 minute and a dog races across the screen by the person and you hear a crash off screen (through the surround system of course) and they politely excuse themselves. the scene can either repeat itself after a few minutes or it could continue with a different senario. You can change the total look at every show because it is digital. You could do more show solo and be the center of the show at the same time. Now if that is not a geek toy, I don't know what one is....LOL I will be starting construction in spring 2008 for use in spring of 2009. I should be on Monster Garage!

Lite4
03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Tommy that is coolest thing, sounds like a lot of $$$$$$$$$. But you have to spend $ to make $$$. When you are done I am flying down to see this one in person.
Did they seriously stop making the fireflies? This was going to be my calling card that I left at every job.:cry:

The Lighting Geek
03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
unfortunately. They may be making them again but it will be awhile

Pro-Scapes
03-07-2008, 09:57 PM
the geek is out of control again! All of the shows we do are indoors. Next year there is a home show and garden and patio show all back to back so we can take time to do a more eleaborate display in a larger area.

We didnt push sales and didnt push to collect info today. We let thoes interested ask the questions and tried to encourage people to check it out... sorta tossed the lure a bit and wait for the fish to bite... then reel em in.

I am confident we got 3 exceptional inquires today and a dozen others that seemed real interested and asked several questions.

The Lighting Geek
03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
That's what I do Billy. I go to have fun and let people come to me.

Pro-Scapes
03-08-2008, 08:37 AM
40% of the booths have nothing to do with the green industry lol... people selling the amazing rubber brooms... homemade foods...granite....

booth next to us is a mexican import place... some really neat looking metal work... they brought in a new box of stuff to restock booth last night and it said made in china lol

Lite4
03-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I hate that they let Non green industry people into some of these so called "garden shows". I guess that is why they call it a "Home and garden" show. I have avoided the other 2 shows like that one that we have here, Mine coming up is strictly green industry. If it is not industry related, it is not allowed in thankfully. Have you been getting good response?

Pro-Scapes
03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
some showed a great intrest... a few even asked when we could come meet and i set 2 consults today. not wanting to count my chickens before they hatch but i could soon be backed up several months. Many of the interested people have homes under construction or soon to be under construction.

A few brought pics of mid sized homes and we were able to give a fairly good estimate based on the photos and they seemed genuine. You can definatly tell the tire kickers from the serious clientel by the questions they ask and with the way they wait for a reply.

All in all I think this was well invested time and money considering it was about the same investment as a single 5k piece mailing. Your in the potentials face vs sticking another piece of junk mail in front of them

NightLightingFX
03-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Billy,
That is how my show went for me two weeks ago. I started to worry that I would have too much on my plate. Since my show, I have been following up with everyone so far things are looking good. Most of my prospects are right in the middle of building so I have been slowly meeting with everyone. What will happen is that everyone will all need you all at the same time. It never fails. However, I can't complain about being too busy.

Lite4
03-09-2008, 01:21 AM
This is great to hear. I hope I will meet with the same success as you guys did at my show.

ChampionLS
03-09-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't prefer the Home Shows. Too many homeowners looking for a free key chain or something to go home with. We usually attend the Irrigation/Lighting shows and the Hardscaping shows. I think the key to a good booth is quick set up and break down. We don't have chairs/stools in our booth and we never "hangout" inside. People tend to see you sitting and relaxing, so they stroll on by. I usually observe from the isle, and will keep eye out for potential clients to wander in. We are almost done with the 2008 show season. We did about 14 shows so far. Next year, I'd love to go overboard and modernize with with some new truss work and multimedia. Time to buy a van!.

Anthony

klkanders
03-09-2008, 03:04 AM
We don't have chairs/stools in our booth and we never "hangout" inside. People tend to see you sitting and relaxing, so they stroll on by. I usually observe from the isle, and will keep eye out for potential clients to wander in.

Anthony

And then you slam the gate shut on them........:laugh:

Billy, Ned,
I don't wanna be negative but the prospects who have the half done houses would worry me. Unexpected expenses, wants, and time to forget you could be your enemy. I hope I am wrong! :waving:

NightLightingFX
03-09-2008, 03:17 AM
People who are building houses have been a big goal of mine. I have been SO frustrated coming into a house that just got finished with poor under eaves lighting and no way to light-up areas that are surrounded by concrete. I got a lot of people excited to talk to me regarding how to prepare their house for elegant low voltage lighting. These projects take a long time to get finished but you get to network with designers, contractors and etc. It is a great way to get recognized among the other professionals that need us.
~Ned

NightLightingFX
03-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Keith,
Another thing, these homebuilders need me right now and they will pay me now. There is fixtures to put in concrete. Fixtures to put under the eaves, and fixtures to light up architectural features. Again I think these are key prospects to have.
~Ned

klkanders
03-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Ned, Ok I get where you are coming from on these. You are working with the builders and subs and getting involved early enough in the process to dictate how things should be done! Awesome! I'm sorry I took your situation the wrong way. I know for a fact that no one can get them excited about what lighting can do for them like you can!
I have experienced your enthusiasm first hand and its genuine!

Keith

Pro-Scapes
03-09-2008, 09:33 AM
when a home is under construction or to soon be built its the perfect time to consult with them. This ensures all conduits are in place... all areas to be lit will be and closes the door on disapointment.

I dont see why it would concearn you its not like I am out purchasing materials on my dollar for these jobs. Its also clear up front if I spend time on the consult and we do not do the project for whatever reason my time will be billed accordingly.

It is true new construction can take awhile but if your personable and continue to track the project with emails or drive past it and ensure the client your looking out for thier best intrest this is job security. Sure it may be a year or 2 before you do the project but it should not be an issue.

personally I preffer to be involved from the start and ensure my infastructure is in place as needed.

any conduit placement... prewire... etc is billed accordingly at the time of service as well

klkanders
03-09-2008, 11:06 AM
It is true new construction can take awhile but if your personable and continue to track the project with emails or drive past it and ensure the client your looking out for thier best intrest this is job security. Sure it may be a year or 2 before you do the project but it should not be an issue.

Thats the key. Exactly. Especially if you are billing as you go and following the project. Must be some nice projects if taking 1-2 yrs. Take care!

SamIV
03-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I am going to brag For Billy. Billy won the award for the best booth at his Garden & Patio show. The pictures don't do it justice. We did very well in setting up appointments with several new clients as well as making some great new contacts. Very good outcome from the show. Much, much better than I ever expected. I never expected such positive response from one of these events.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Pro-Scapes
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
ya beat me to it Burt. Thanks again for coming up for it. I will definatly be doing it again next year. I was really disapointed in the quality of some of the large landscape firms lack of creativity in thier booths. Next year will be insane but not as insane as the Geekmans ideas. I am still shocked they gave me best of show. Just goes to prove a little out of the box thinking and a couple of late nights of hard work pay off.

The booth layout was my concept but I couldnt of done it without my friends support. We did get some people asking about buying the lights.... one high end homeowner lectured us on how should could not imagine we didnt have solar lol... The real clientel we were after asked the right questions.

Pro-Scapes
03-10-2008, 10:58 AM
in my mass exhasution in the past few days I had forgot to mention Thanks to Kirk from dreams to designs for his outstanding cad layout of my booth concept. I think next year I will need to bring him down to direct the construction

Lite4
03-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Billy, how was it for you yesterday? How many total leads do you think you got from this show?

Pro-Scapes
03-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Really hard to say how many leads.... At least 20 couples VERY interested and prequalified by either knowing our work or thoes we have done work for or having no problem with the price tag. One job is 90% a sure thing... another will be consulted on friday but they are VERY excited about the meeting.

Sunday was not as happening as saturday was of course... things pick up after Church time and we sparked alot of intrest among the target clientel. Even met an interior designer who will be reccomending people to us. I would have to rate the days as follows

1 Saturday
2 Friday
3 Sunday

Friday and Sunday may be a real close call tho. We did use Tommys approach. Branded ourselves... They know who we are and what we do and have a good bit of info on us. If they call they want it. We are not one to push or pressure sales. Im not a salesman.

The Lighting Geek
03-11-2008, 01:24 AM
It's funny reading these posts about getting envolved early. I am asked al the time, 'when is the best time to call you?' I tell the rough electrical so we can do the conduits, discuss power needs and locations. I have some jobs I started 18 months ago at rough electrical. A large custom home can take 1-4 years to build, but I am the one going to do the lighting because I built a relationship with the client early.

I have a home show comming up in May and I can't wait. I have a blast at home shows. My neighboring booths just shake their heads and stare in disbelief. I get away with murder...LOL I do the Geek Rap, make fun of myself and get people fired up. It is just something you have to experience.:eek:

Lite4
03-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Tommy, I just had a vision of you standing in the aisle with a microphone and a kareoke machine gettin down. You can't imagine how much I would like to see you do the Geek Rap.:laugh:

JoeyD
03-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I have seen it! Eminem doesnt have anything on The Geek!

klkanders
03-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Where can a guy buy this Geek Rap video? Tommy get the camera rolling I see another source of revenue! :)

Lite4
03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I want to see the Geek rap on Yard Crashers. "Not only does he provide the light for the entertainment area, He is the entertainment".

Lite4
03-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Can you guys give me some honest feedback on my banner for my booth, I am unsure about it. It is an 8' x 3 or 8' x 4' I cant remember which size.

JoeyD
03-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Tim that banner sucks........................

JUST KIDDING!! Looks great!!! I like how you have a little of everything there. You got a little commercial, a little water, a beautiful residential, and a nice courtyard. Looks awesome!!!

The only thing you may want to change is the Professional Outdoor Lighting seems a bit small in size. That could be a little larger but overall it looks great...in my opinion!~!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-12-2008, 06:28 PM
How about some contact info? A phone number or web site.... you never know, when you are busy talking to a prospect there may be others waiting who will just take down the number and call you.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
03-12-2008, 06:41 PM
I think it clutters it up to much if he does that.....thats why you have anice little brochure sitting ona table for them to quickly grab. Their not gonna stop and hand write his info down anyway, nor are they going to memorize it.

klkanders
03-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Nicely done Tim!
I agree....keep it simple. Your pics are too nice to cover up!
I would stop for a brochure after seeing that banner.

Keith

Lite4
03-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Do you think the southwest pics are a bit much. I was talking to Tommy today and he gave me some good advice about it. does the picture of the waterfall or the pool house look inviting. does it make you want to go there and sit down and be a part of it. I almost agree with him about some pics of more intimate settings with a patio or sitting area. What do you think?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
The reason I would put a number on the banner is simple. I would rather have a number up there then be providing several thousand flyers or circulars with your info on it. When you provide printed materials at a trade show you will find that pretty much everybody will take one. Most end up in the trash.

Hold back your printed materials for the prospects that you qualify by speaking directly to.

Let the passers by admire your booth and if they are seriously interested, they will use the freebie pen they just picked up from the neighbouring booth to write down your number on your competitors full colour, glossy brochure.

A busy trade show is a great opportunity, but you have to manage your time and your booth very effectively to benefit from it. A simple, graphically rich booth, that clearly displays your biz info and contact info, mixed in with a formula for locating your target market out of the throngs of spectators, combined with a selective distribution of print materials to qualified prospects has worked very well for me in the past.

The Lighting Geek
03-12-2008, 11:33 PM
The reason I would put a number on the banner is simple. I would rather have a number up there then be providing several thousand flyers or circulars with your info on it. When you provide printed materials at a trade show you will find that pretty much everybody will take one. Most end up in the trash.

Hold back your printed materials for the prospects that you qualify by speaking directly to.

Let the passers by admire your booth and if they are seriously interested, they will use the freebie pen they just picked up from the neighbouring booth to write down your number on your competitors full colour, glossy brochure.

A busy trade show is a great opportunity, but you have to manage your time and your booth very effectively to benefit from it. A simple, graphically rich booth, that clearly displays your biz info and contact info, mixed in with a formula for locating your target market out of the throngs of spectators, combined with a selective distribution of print materials to qualified prospects has worked very well for me in the past.

Very well said James

ChampionLS
03-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Can you guys give me some honest feedback on my banner for my booth, I am unsure about it. It is an 8' x 3 or 8' x 4' I cant remember which size.

Looks great, don't forget your website address. That should be on EVERYTHING you hand out.

Lite4
03-13-2008, 02:32 AM
My site is on my business cards and brochure placed very prominantly. I am changing a couple of pictures out and adding my tagline on the bottom. "Capture the Magic"

Pro-Scapes
03-13-2008, 07:29 AM

Hold the brochures back but have cards readily avalible. I put my phone on the banner but anyone interested and in a hurry wont jot your number down. Make sure your number is easy for them to grab. Rememeber its all about getting your name out there. Many obviously well qualified prospects didnt stop and talk... just pointed and nodded and grabbed the info at out show. Alot of people also grab info for other people as well. I even ran into a Nurse on friday who was gathering info for the doctor she works for because he was out of town.

I let whoever wanted the brochure grab one. They were in racks up front. I am seriously thinking about doing a booklet to compliment it as a more educational piece and I will reserve that for well interested and pre qualified individuals.

JoeyD
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Go to Costco.com and make yourself a nice bound photo book. They are super awesome and cheap to make there as long as you have quality photos.

But I got to say that I would never rely on someone writing a phone number down, especially with a free pen and on someone elses brochure. You do home shows to get exposure, so who cares if every person takes a card and half throw it away, thats just part of the deal. Do you think every mailer that is sent is kept and read? Heck no, or what about a magazine? Majority of those get tossed without even being read but you use the shotgun approach for a reason. To get that one job that pays for it all and makes it all worth it!!

What works well, and trust me I have worked probably close to 50 trade shows and home shows is to have some sort of a drawing set up. Maybe its for a FREE DEMO or a special discount or something. Personally I hate the word FREE becuase it attracts tire kickers and cheap people but sometimes it can be used and it works. The deal is they have to fill out their information including email, mailing addresss, and phone number. Now you aquire their information even if your busy speaking with another prospect. The idea is now you can gather info that normally you wouldnt so you can perform follow up. See a home show is only as good as your follow up. The first thing to do after a show is to send all that stopped by your booth a thank you card or post card that says thanks for stoping by my booth. Then you follow that up with something else. What happens is you continue to get your name in front of them which I cant remember the statistic exactly but it takes a person to see a name or logo like 25 times before it becomes second hand knowledge to them. Something like that, point is get as much info as you can, dont clutter your booth, never eat in it, always be in the isle bringing people in, and always have information available for them to take. No catalogs, maybe small pamphlets but use plenty of high quality photos.

What we did at our last show is we had 2 50" flat screens playing a loop photo video we made. You would be amazed at the people who would just stop and watch and ooohh and ahh, then you go out and talk to them about certain scenes and what you used to do it and how you did it. It allows you to give mini disertations to the porspects on your artisitc lighting ability, setting you apart form the rest. Think of it as little mini demos!

klkanders
03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Right on Joey! If you are putting up a booth are you there to see how much money you can save? Skimping on your brochures doesnt sound like the way to go. Put them in your booth not out front so every little kid can grab one. Make them readily available spread out like a deck of cards on a table in your booth ( Try this it gets peoples attention). Make small talk with them without forcing anything on them. Like Joey said get out in the aisle and be approachable. As mentioned awhile back all these brochures, cards, banners, potato chip bag clips, pens, whatever should fall under your advertising budget. All your past and future customers are paying for this....not you!

Or maybe this is all too much work and costs too much money. Just buy a bigger banner, a huge one, with your ph # and web site and place it on the wall by the concession stand line. Hey how about smaller ones above the urinals? I think I am on to something...don't tell anyone else. :)

NightLightingFX
03-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Personally, but then what do I know - I have not yet proved myself to be a marketing genious. But I think your banner should be just one scene not 4 pictures. I personally think it is to distracting. You can have a bunch of other pictures in your booth to show your versitility. For your banner have one GREAT picture that people will notice. Have your logo and websit on the banner also. Keep it simple, having only one scene on the banner is even more simple then what you are leaning toward. Just my .02 if it works you owe me .02. A great example of this is Chris's truck. Make a banner like the side of Chris's rig.
~Ned

irrig8r
03-13-2008, 12:39 PM
I would put your URL on the banner, and your phone number.

A business card is less expensive than a brochure, and if well designed has just as much impact.

Let your website be your brochure. Paper brochures are "old school" and end up being expensive trash/recyclables.

Remind people to bookmark your site and keep them coming back to see more.

Besides, it's easier for them to refer you to their friends and associates with a quick email... I get lots of business that way.

klkanders
03-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I still like the banner. I think it would draw people into the booth to look at all 4 pics and the logo. It shows diversity. Once in they see the other smaller pics and brochures.
Ned, I also like your idea of a banner. I don't think either are wrong. Having both would be great. Or get your rig painted up like Chris J's and park it in your booth!

klkanders
03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Gregg, I agree with putting the web site everywhere if you have a great site. Thats a no-brainer. However. I would rather hand a brochure or card to someone I can talk with then send hundreds or thousands of mailers out.

OK gregg now I want to see your business card. e-mail to me if you would.
Thanks

RI OHIO
03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Some impressive displays. kudos

Pro-Scapes
03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
we had a bowl of chocolates our front... a bunch of cards and brochures. If people paused to look I handed them a brochure and asked how they were doing then they usually paused to watch the slideshow and if interested talk.

We had Scott Farms right across from them and they were handing out free food samples so i think that distracted from our display some. We seemed to get alot more intrest when we were not in the booth and blocking the display. Out in the aisles and people would stop in and start looking at the portfolio or the slideshow...maybe grab a fixture.

I wouldnt go hiding my cards or expect anyone to write down my number especially when thier hands are already full of brochures and stuff they picked up in the next booth. Cards are cheap. I just paid 90 bucks for 2000 of them I think it was for 4/4 one side and single color backs. The brochures were higher. I think I have 800 into design and printing of 2500 of them. We gave out under 500.

I may use them for a very specific target mailing list I created.

We chose not to do a photo banner. Logo and text. Easy to read... Easy to remember. pm me if you want to see the banner or brochures

ChampionLS
03-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Hey Billy,

How's things going? Did you enjoy the show?
Sounds like you did real good!

Pro-Scapes
03-15-2008, 12:41 AM
I actually did really enjoy it even tho its a ton of money and alot of hard work. Had 2 meetings from it today and both look promising. One homeowner met with us and said be creative and left us to come up with something. They trusted us 100%. Other one we did a very small 6 light mock up tonight and have the front and back sold and to be signed by the end of the money. Definatly no regrets on doing the show.

Yet another we spoke with hit the inquiry on the website today and will be emailing pics very soon of thier home.

pihta
03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
here's our .2 .. i mean our booth :)
its apr2007 exhibition, promoting Unuque & Kichler lighting and ourselfs a bit (u can see part of Unique's logo at the top - we dont have our logo at this time so we decided to go with it.. or some of it :) )
And pictures also from Unique (didn't get our photos at that time).

We got 2 or 3 customers from this show as i remember.
All you guys talking here happened - people asking what we are selling (stone, plants :dizzy:), our brochures ended in first day :laugh:(next days we just give business cards)

Booth was 3x6m size, with wooden pergola, small backroom w door for stuff and relaxing and small table for clients. As you can see there was A LOT of light from the up, black fabric on the top of the pergola helped a bit but not for path ligths :laugh: but some lighting effect was archived.

We built it in one week before show, assemble in 1.5 days before show and get back in 0.5 day.

JoeyD
03-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Unique is in Russia!!!!!!!! Great Job Pihta!!!

extlights
03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Nice looking booth.

pihta
03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Dave & Joey.

hope I'll post soon some pics of our jobs too. Keep tuned :)

Lite4
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Pihta, That is awesome. Congratulations on the nice looking booth. I have a show next weekend. I have completely rethought and redesigned what I am doing with my booth. I am not telling yet so you will have to stay tuned for the pics. Lets just say I did away with the whole banner backdrop idea all together.

pihta
03-18-2008, 03:30 PM
You know, difference between booths posted here in what they're selling. Some sells lighting (designer job, main focus on pictures/portfolio), others(ours) sells fixtures.

Pro-Scapes
03-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I am planning to do something similar next year to that. My 10x10 was way to small and cramped up. Next year 20x20 so 4 times the space and we will darken in a good 2 thirds of that and do something pretty wild. I need to preapply to break the 10ft hiegh limit set forth. I was also told if I pre apply and get my booth assignment early I can have them remove some of large overhead lights directly over my booth before we set up.

One thing I didnt want is a ton of lights glaring down. Portrays the wrong message. Excellent booth tho our of Russia

The Lighting Geek
03-19-2008, 10:33 AM
I am pondering simplifying my booth (10x20) I am thinking of not putting up fixtures except for a few to show quality. I want to build an art gallery of 24 x 36 canvas versions of my pictures and no video slide show. I will use my zen fountain and a 6 foot table with a taylored black table cover with my logo embroidered on the front. I have noticed everyone wants to see pictures so I am putting picture books on the table with business cards. Simple and eleagant. What do you guys think? In your last show how many people were more intersted in talking to you vs. looking at fixtures?

The Lighting Geek
03-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Pihta, I like your booth, nice job! You can tell you put some time into that. The pics of your work are very nice as well.

extlights
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head Tommy. As Pihta said some people are there selling themselves as lighting designers/installers, where others may be there selling fixtures. In our business everything is visual, whether it's for asthetics reasons, or even security reasons. I don't know how many times we go out to a potential customers home on a demo and they don't even ask about the fixtures...(unless it's mainly pathway lighting.) Visualizations are key and I'd think that's what will attract people to a booth.

Kind of like a painter....he's not going to show a blank canvass with the type of paint and brushes he uses....he's going to show his final product to showcase his skills and talents. That's what attracts people.

JoeyD
03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head Tommy. As Pihta said some people are there selling themselves as lighting designers/installers, where others may be there selling fixtures. In our business everything is visual, whether it's for asthetics reasons, or even security reasons. I don't know how many times we go out to a potential customers home on a demo and they don't even ask about the fixtures...(unless it's mainly pathway lighting.) Visualizations are key and I'd think that's what will attract people to a booth.

Kind of like a painter....he's not going to show a blank canvass with the type of paint and brushes he uses....he's going to show his final product to showcase his skills and talents. That's what attracts people.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

pihta
03-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Agree on that. But as for us - we also selling fixtures to landscape designers sp they install them by themselfs. We need to find some resellers outside of our city/region too. People here tired of fixtures design from europe/china. There is no american fixtures here so its almost unique good. People like the design, quality etc - so we need to show fixtures. Women likes them :) they choose 10 decorative pathlights from Kichler and we sell them 40+ unique ones and projectors too.

But, I am agree on selling job, not fixtures. Prices going down, china goods coming... so we need to make profit not on fixtures but on knowledge/design.

JoeyD
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
you got it Egor! Sell the effect not the light! And remember if you sell the wife the husband has no choice to buy...atleast thats how it works in my house anyway.....LOL

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
A new twist on an old line:

"Sell the effect, not the source."

JoeyD
03-20-2008, 11:33 AM
"See the light, only at night!"

(insert cheese ball here)

Chris J
03-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Forget the Source, Feel the Effect! TM

Lite4
03-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Whew, I got everything set up for my show tomorrow. I will post pics of my booth tomorrow and let you know how the day went.

Pro-Scapes
03-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Whew, I got everything set up for my show tomorrow. I will post pics of my booth tomorrow and let you know how the day went.

looking forward to seeing them Tim... its alot of work but I am installing job number 1 from the show late next week.

Lite4
03-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Well, Friday is gone and I am freakin beat. A lot of traffic today. About 90% of it was from women age 55-75. Mostly retirees out with their girlfriends. Needless to say it was a pretty lackluster day. I think I made 2 mediocre contacts, but this was not unexpected today. The real action heats up tomorrow and Sunday. The demographic definitely got a lot better after 5 pm when everyone was getting off work. The wine tasting and Live jazz really brought a lot of folks out. Any way here is my booth. A friend of mine put a Boise State water wall in my booth to see how it would do. We have a lot of crazy bronco mania fans here. I was shooting for simple and elegant overall.

EOL
03-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Looks great Tim. I like the fact that it is not crammed with pics all over the walls and fixtures mounted everywhere you can possibly mount one. Its simple, straight forward, here's what I do, here are some fixtures that I install, you have a beautiful display of projects that you installed shuffling through in the background, and a portfolio on the table. Oh by the way, I saw that lamp over your portfolio at home depot I almost bought one for mine for a founders day parade, show, and festival that I am attending next month, good idea. By the way how did you mount that T.V.? You have probably already explained it in some past threads that I have not got to and I'm sorry but thats intresting. Looks nice

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I like the way you mounted that display... next year I am putting mine higher than this year by about a foot and facing it in stone instead of your using wood.

Nice and simple tim...looks real nice.... Thoes TV's just dont look as bright in thoes exhibit halls as they do at home do they.

Definatly next year I am darkening in an area.

Lite4
03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys. I will take some pictures of the back of the display for you so you can see how I mounted the 50" plasma. I got a lot of nice compliments on it yesterday from folks who were impressed to see something other than the typical banner in the backdrop. One guy summed it up last night, Simple and Elegant. Billy, you are right about the TV being dark though. I think I will adjust the brightness level this morning on it. The ladies really liked the random firefly lights around my name. One lady said, "Oh, I just love those fireflies." I told here they were somewhat uncooperative. None of them wanted to have there hind ends shoved through a hole in a wall, but once I taped em in on the other side, they had no choice but to cooperate. :laugh: She got a kick out of that.

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2008, 11:50 AM
thats too funny. I can just see tim or the geekman with a roll of tape in thier mouths trying to tape a flies butt to a wall.

Who did the scroll work for cutting your name and all thoes letters out... looks good.

The Lighting Geek
03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Tim, very nice booth! I likw the way your tv in integrated like that. That is somewhat what I'm doing this May. Simple and clean. Unfortunately mine is outdoors so I'm getting 7 pictures mounted on 24 x 36 canvas and making it look like an art gallery in my 10x20 booth. Just putting a table with picture books and a small fixture display like you used. How did those picture books work out?

I would have left the roll of on table with a couple of small pieces on the edge of the table like I need to use them. I would say 'These pieces are for when the little buggers try to wiggle free' But that is just my warped sense of humor. You have no idea how accurate you are Billy!

Lite4
03-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Billy, I had a company called woodland manufacturing cut out my letters for me. they are on a hard foam backing. Woodland uses water jet and C&C machines to cut out their letters. They are primarily a web based company but happen to be located here in town. They do some incredible work and their prices are amazingly inexpensive.

Chris J
03-30-2008, 10:09 PM
I missed the last show (first one I missed in the last 8 years). But to spite all of you guys, I'm gonna create the most exotic booth ever for fall 2008. I'm going to integrate all the frilly stuff that people talk about like the Kicher Frog, and the China Man with the pole across his shoulder. You guys don't seem to understand that this is not the stuff people buy, but it is exactly the kind of thing that attracts alot of attention. In our convention, there will be upwards of 20 lighting contractors. My display will have all the right stuff; therefore, we will get the most calls. We we install the materials we displayed in the show? Probably not. It's all about atracting attention, and no body does that better than Kicher Lighting Company. Say what you will, but Kichler is beating the other companies to death!

Pro-Scapes
03-30-2008, 10:48 PM
I missed the last show (first one I missed in the last 8 years). But to spite all of you guys, I'm gonna create the most exotic booth ever for fall 2008. I'm going to integrate all the frilly stuff that people talk about like the Kicher Frog, and the China Man with the pole across his shoulder. You guys don't seem to understand that this is not the stuff people buy, but it is exactly the kind of thing that attracts alot of attention. In our convention, there will be upwards of 20 lighting contractors. My display will have all the right stuff; therefore, we will get the most calls. We we install the materials we displayed in the show? Probably not. It's all about atracting attention, and no body does that better than Kicher Lighting Company. Say what you will, but Kichler is beating the other companies to death!

There were about 3 companies firms offering lighting at our show but we were the only specialist there and it showed. I strayed away from the exotic fixtures and stuck to things people would want to see at thier own homes but maybe I missed something.

The Lighting Geek
03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Chris, is that 20 lighting specialized companies or landscape contractors that do lighting? I am interested in how your approach works for you. There are so many ways to get it done at a show.

Chris J
03-30-2008, 11:33 PM
In the home shows, there are about 10 of us who do it full time. The rest are side-lines (which is about 30). The other 200-300 are landscapers or irrigators who don't even bother with the home show.
How's that for some freakin competition?

The Lighting Geek
03-30-2008, 11:47 PM
that's a lot of competition. But it sounds like you know who's who and how to best compete with your booth design. I'm sure you will do great. After all, they are probably more worried about you! lol

Lite4
03-31-2008, 12:00 AM
One of the landscapers here used those Kichler Lizards in his displays. Even though I will probably never use them they were pretty freakin cool in his display. I will post some pics later of some of the landscape displays at the show.

Lite4
03-31-2008, 12:22 AM
Ok, for some of you that are still landscaping with your lighting. Here are some booths from the show I finished up today. I will give company names with their photos. I told them I would be posting their booths in this forum so they can see them. The first one is Far West Nursery and Landscaping. They had a Northwest style landscape on one side and a formal English style garden on the other.

Chris J
03-31-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm telling you guys this just because you are my friends. Fancy stuff attracts attention! But that is not what you want to sell. Get their attention, and then sell them on your ability. There are many manufacturers that sell high quality components. Sell yourself and your ability! Let them see your equipment, but sell them on how you are going to install it. Show them a DBR vs. a Quic Disc. or an ACE connector. Show them see your license for God Sake! Let them know you are a PRO!

Lite4
03-31-2008, 12:31 AM
This one is also very impressive. Tons of color with their trademark pink flamingos.

Lite4
03-31-2008, 12:36 AM
This one is very unique and seemed to generate a lot of interest. This guy is a very talented artist.

Lite4
03-31-2008, 12:40 AM
This one was across from mine. The antique doors they hung were incredible.

Chris J
03-31-2008, 12:40 AM
This is a perfect example of "what the hell are selling?" No offense, but if I walked up on this booth, I would'n't know if you were a landscaper, or just general decoration for the entire facility. In my opinion, this does absolutely nothing for no body. You wasted a bunch of money for nothing at all.

Lite4
03-31-2008, 12:46 AM
This guy is really good with water features. This is his speciality.

Lite4
03-31-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't know these guys, but they had a neat display.

Chris J
03-31-2008, 12:49 AM
This guy is really good with water features. This is his speciality.

Where's the water?

Lite4
03-31-2008, 12:55 AM
He has 2 small waterfalls. One on each side of his black free standing photo album in the middle.

NightScenes
03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
I can see that these are landscapers and not lighting guys. At best, lighting is a sideline for them.

Pro-Scapes
03-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Some nice looking booths up there. We were not given the time to construct something like that. I think we had 9 hours for set up.

While thier booths are nice there is little seperation from the next guy. They all say stonework and plants (and a bunch of other elements) your booth is simple and to the point. There is no doubt what your providing.

Lite4
03-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks Guys,
I was just posting pics of other booths to show the quality of the show. These guys spent a lot of time putting these things together. They have a lot of different elements in them but as a landscaper you work with a lot of different mediums. Stone, Plants, water. I suppose these shows on the landscape side are mainly a showcase of ones creative abilities. All in all they are pretty impressive.

klkanders
03-31-2008, 04:10 PM
I also liked the simplicity of your booth better Tim. I know the landscapers have to show what they are capable of by bringing one of everything they install and cramming it into a small area. I am sure way back someone did this and the rest followed to not be out-done. It would be interesting if one of the landscapers took your approach and just showed very few plants and products along with a slideshow of before and after pics of completed jobs. As a landscaper what turns me off is cramming too much into a planting area knowing that " more plants = more money".
I also have been following your pond build on the other thread. Nice job Tim!

Lite4
04-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks Keith,
I have the fountains running and the pond is full. Laying pavers tomorrow and dressing up the edges. I will post more pics of it tomorrow night, probably late though. I have an appointment from the show and may have to set up a demo. We'll see, hopefully not.

klkanders
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Tim, Seems lately we have been doing alot more pondless. Easier to get in smaller areas.
I am envious of you guys that are able to be out working. Yesterday was like the third Monday in a row that we got 4-5 inches of snow. It would melt and be gone then we would get hit again! Snowed a little this morning and now the sun is shining strong! :) We will be getting our first shipment of trees and plant material within a couple weeks, have a ton of trees to move and some lighting jobs to get moving on.

Lite4
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Keith,
I do about 95% pondless on my waterfeatures too. The sun feels good today. About 49 degrees and very sunny. I will post more pics later tonight when I get home from a lighting estimate.

Mr. Vern
04-02-2008, 12:56 AM
We just finished our Spring Homeshow. attached are some photos. The one shows the display from the center, if you look you can see that we had a waterfall on the left that dumped into a small pool and then into the pond below. On the right you can just see the pondless waterfall. There is also a picture of each of them from straight on. We wanted to showcase both the pond and the pondless so we could show people the difference.

Lite4
04-02-2008, 02:13 AM
That is beautiful. Nice job with the plant placement on the edges of the stream. It softens it up nicely. Good color mix too. How was your response?

JoeyD
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
wow, I know I would want that installed in my yard! Looks great!! Now how about some lights?:laugh:

klkanders
04-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Mr. Vern, Very Nice! If those don't get people excited I am not sure what will!
Nice Design!

Mr. Vern
04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I wish I could say it was my genius, but like I always say when something goes wrong "It's my fault, I do the hiring". Truth is I have a designer who is just brilliant and he just pulls this stuff out of thin air.
As for the response; so far I have 11 pondless, and 2 ponds sold. I have 5 people who say they want to have the whole thing installed, but we'll see. Obviously we would have to do a design specific to their yard and would not likely do both a pond and a pondless, but rather a single system that achieves the dual waterfall effect. We'll see if the big ones actually pan out.
As for the lighting, actually there are lights in there, but since the idea was to look totally natural we only put in some uplights on the key features and a couple of spots as well as the waterfall lights. Truth be known the show is over before dark so they were not even real lights but gutted demos from our supplier placed in order to allow us to discuss the option. We didn't't use any path lights because they would have just looked out of place.
We try to do something completely different each year so next year I would like to do something that emphasizes the lighting more. In our area the lighting has not really caught on as well as in some others, so I know we have a great opportunity to establish ourselves as the premiere lighting company if we focus the proper resources and energy on it.
The whole thing is actually built on hay bales and the plants are still in their pots, just covered up with mulch. People are always amazed when we tell them that the whole thing is just a facade. It's always a lot of fun to do the homeshows.

roknh20
04-09-2008, 06:41 PM
We did our local Home & Garden show a few weeks ago. Here's a few pic from our Booth and one of our customers booths. We painted a Fireplace kit as a sunset and this is a very cool water feature

Lite4
04-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I'll bet that waterfall made some noise.

TXNSLighting
09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Lets revisit! Our show is coming up on friday. Im sure you all discuss pricing with your potential clients at the show. What are some other pointers for the first timers?

roknh20
09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Ryan,
One of the biggest things is to have something more than a business card that customers can walk away with. A nicely made flyer with info about what services you offer and contact information. A display is great or a photo album with pictures of jobs you've done. A list of references from satisfied customers says alot. Make sure your booth has good access for customers to wait for you if you are with someone else. Always leave your flyers out so people can grab something and go if they don't want to talk to you at that moment or wait for you to finish up with someone else. If you do water features it's always good to have something small so customers know it's not just large scale projects you want. A bubbling rock or aqua urn with a waterproof basin is great. Our website itsparadiseathome.com has a basin installation video that shows us installing a bubbling rock. What you don't want is to do something with water and have it leak or you will look very unprofessional.

EOL
09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey here are some pics from our resent show here in Austin. It was our fall home and garden show. I actually buddied up with a friend that owns Agave landscaping company. We had a 42" flat screen shuffling my lighting projects and his landscaping projects.

TXNSLighting
09-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Man you went all out on that one! Looks fantastic!

TXNSLighting
09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Ryan,
One of the biggest things is to have something more than a business card that customers can walk away with. A nicely made flyer with info about what services you offer and contact information. A display is great or a photo album with pictures of jobs you've done. A list of references from satisfied customers says alot. Make sure your booth has good access for customers to wait for you if you are with someone else. Always leave your flyers out so people can grab something and go if they don't want to talk to you at that moment or wait for you to finish up with someone else. If you do water features it's always good to have something small so customers know it's not just large scale projects you want. A bubbling rock or aqua urn with a waterproof basin is great. Our website itsparadiseathome.com has a basin installation video that shows us installing a bubbling rock. What you don't want is to do something with water and have it leak or you will look very unprofessional.

Ive got cards, brochures, and unique write ups. Im going to print a list of testimonials and references. Im going to have a table with our fixtures mounted to it. Ive got about 15 pictures to display as well.

I just do lighting, I will be getting into water features soon. Maybe by the next show i can get that in there.

Thank you for the info!

TXNSLighting
09-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Well first day went pretty good. It is hard on the feet! But took down 8 numbers for more info and demonstrations. So pretty good!

TXNSLighting
09-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Well so far got a total of 12 leads, and one job sold! Home shows are good in my book!

S&MLL
09-28-2008, 01:14 AM
I always wanted to try them. But for 3grand for a 10*10 seems quite expensive

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 12:12 PM
I always wanted to try them. But for 3grand for a 10*10 seems quite expensive

3 grand??!! Holy crap. Mine was 1100 for a 10x10.

The Lighting Geek
09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
I just finished the Fall home show. Here is a sweet setup i'm using. 30 min setup and take down.:cool2:

S&MLL
09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Nice setup Geek. Now can you bring that to inside venues?

S&MLL
09-29-2008, 02:56 PM
3 grand??!! Holy crap. Mine was 1100 for a 10x10.

If it was 1100 I would do 10 a year. Would sure be less expensive then my current advertising costs.

S&MLL
09-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Actually now that I look at it. For a 10*10 with tax and power hook up its more like 2700. But still not cheep

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 03:45 PM
No thats probably a rip off... Unless you get 3 or 4 jobs out of it. Ive got 4 serious leads out of it. Lets hope i can close em. I ended up with 13 total.

Lite4
09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
How has the response been at this current round of shows? Anybody out there still interested in lighting or is everyone playing it safe and holding tight to the $?

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
We had a good 100 people stop by and look at it and want info. But majority heard the price and kept walking.

The Lighting Geek
09-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Nice setup Geek. Now can you bring that to inside venues?

no problem with most venues. It is light enough to push in by hand with 2 people.

The Lighting Geek
09-29-2008, 11:43 PM
How has the response been at this current round of shows? Anybody out there still interested in lighting or is everyone playing it safe and holding tight to the $?

Here is where your marketing pays off. I had alot of people stop by (in the hundreds) and talk about my ads and how beautiful they were and how much they liked my work and say, "I see your trucks all over the place". Not all of them will buy, but the excitement they brought to my booth made others look a little bit harder. I did the 'Geek Rap' and had everyone laughing and hanging out at my booth, which made others come over to check out the commotion. I was having a blast and anyone who has met me in person knows what I'm talking about. I had 20+ solid leads with some insisting I call them after the show. I told them if they wanted it done before Christmas, they better leave me with their name and phone number. It is not important how many people buy, but how many people talk about you! You need create excitement and have fun! People will naturally want to hang out.

I have at least 10 new contractors that want to send me all of their lighting.
It has been a tough year for me but i refuse to give up or change who I am. We are going to average 100+ fixtures a week until Christmas.

Listen to what James and other are suggesting about working with your local charities, do home shows, advertise carefully. Create excitement!

EOL
10-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Tommy, you are absolutely right. The more community work you do and the charity events you attend you are only exposing yourself to the locals. Everybody will see that and that is instant and honest marketing that will pay back in the long run, and when it does hang on because the referrals will start flowing in and your good reputation will be passed down also.

Chris J
10-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Coming up on the last day of my home and patio show tomorrow. What a dud this show turned out to be. Some of the contractors were threatening packing up and leaving early. I usually get 40-60 names for potential contact, but as of today I have 5. I'm going to have to chalk that $1500 up for a loss this time around. Seems like people are just really scared to spend any money right now. Such a shame.

Lite4
10-05-2008, 03:22 AM
That sucks. Sorry to hear that Chris.

The Lighting Geek
10-05-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Chris. All though I was happy with my results, they are significantly down from normal. I really worked to get the few I ended up with. I was much more animated than usual (if that is possible) LOL