PDA

View Full Version : diesel fuel in my radiator overflow jug

mowing grass 1111
02-15-2008, 07:44 PM
anybody know what could cause this ? i have been smelling diesel fuel for a few days i opened the hood today and the underside of the hood was wet with a mix of antifreeze and diesel fuel . i also took the rad cap off and there is disel fuel in the radiator.. i have a feeling this is going cost me big time
btw this is an 01 7.3 powerstroke:cry:

tnmtn
02-15-2008, 08:53 PM
what does your oil look like? this may not be good.

mowing grass 1111
02-15-2008, 09:42 PM
oil looks fine

mowing grass 1111
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
ok i found what the problem is... this is not going be a fun job i have to pull all the injectors and pressurize the coolant system .. i may have to pull the heads also

lawnbutch
02-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Sounds like a blown head gasket!!!! Not going to be fun at all!!!!

Happy Frog
02-15-2008, 11:05 PM
You have blown the head gasket big time.
I'm surprised you didn't notice that a cylinder was "missing".

ExclusiveLawnCare
02-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah that does not sound fun at all, good luck and hope you get it back on the road soon.

Scag48
02-16-2008, 02:37 AM
You've got a head gasket that sounds like it's going out. Fuel making it into the cooling jackets is no fun. Not a big deal, take the head off and replace the gasket, flush the cooling system and replace fluids and you should be set. How many miles on the truck? Might replace your injectors while you're in there.

Ooomwizard
02-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Yup, head gasket failure. Get em replaced.

If your engine has lots of hours you might change your valve stem gaskets too. It's cheap and you'll already have the engine open. (A dead give-away of bad valve stem gaskets is, your vehicle sits for awhile and you go to restart it and it puffs some oil out the exhaust.) They are really cheap too, so why not?

GL
Mark in ATL

mowing grass 1111
02-16-2008, 11:23 AM
nope the head gaskets are fine

mowing grass 1111
02-16-2008, 11:25 AM
You've got a head gasket that sounds like it's going out. Fuel making it into the cooling jackets is no fun. Not a big deal, take the head off and replace the gasket, flush the cooling system and replace fluids and you should be set. How many miles on the truck? Might replace your injectors while you're in there.

the truck has 97,000 miles on it

mowing grass 1111
02-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah that does not sound fun at all, good luck and hope you get it back on the road soon.

i hope to have it back on the road monday .. if the dealer has the parts in stock . I pulled all the injectors and cups last night, the cups in the back of the head are a ***** i had to make a tool to get to them

Ooomwizard
02-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Bet ya you're head gaskets are going!

I just replaced the headgaskets in my honeys Cadillac Northstar engine. (No small feat as you have to drop the entire engine/tranmission/front drivetrain out from underneath the car!)

Here were the symptoms. Gradual loss of radiator fuild, gas (or gassy exhaust) smell in the radiator overflow tank.
Symptoms were mild at first, slow loss of raditor fuild. No oil consumption, good compression, car ran great. Car became unusable as it got worse. It would blow off a good quantity of radiator fluid out the overflow tube especially when you stepped on the gas. Could even see bubbles surfacing with the raditor fill cap off (and somewhat cool engine) while idling. Low or no radiator fluid would cause the engine to overheat while driving.

What happens is on the compression stroke the gas (desiel) mixture is forced thru the gap in the leaky gasket and mixed with the coolant. Some cases on the intake stroke the coolant can be drawn into the cylinder and you might smell a "sweet" antifreeze exhaust. The culprit is probably rusting of the gasket forcing a space between the head and engine block. (Can be a result of the anti-rust properties of the coolant aging away. Change your coolant at recommended intervals?) Worster case is a head bolt stripping and releasing the pressure holding the head/gasket/block together.

There is no other way gas/desiel can mix with antifreeze that I know of.

Wanna bet you don't need a new head gasket?

Best wishes,
Mark in ATL

Landrus2
02-16-2008, 08:41 PM
nope the head gaskets are fine

Your fuel is going thru the o rings. 97000 miles is very little for these problems:drinkup:

Ooomwizard
02-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Yep, could be injector gaskets! (Now I know another way.)

Looks like it may be the "O" ring that would leak into the coolant.

Hope that is it. Looks to be a much easier fix!

GL!

mowing grass 1111
02-16-2008, 10:56 PM
the motor is leaking around the injector sleeves.. i am waiting on new sleeves they should be here on monday

GravelyNut
02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
the motor is leaking around the injector sleeves.. i am waiting on new sleeves they should be here on monday

How does Ford install theirs? On a Detroit you have to swage, cut to lenght the chamber end, and then chamfer and ream. Fun job.

mowing grass 1111
02-17-2008, 11:27 AM
How does Ford install theirs? On a Detroit you have to swage, cut to lenght the chamber end, and then chamfer and ream. Fun job.

they are pressed in.. i had to cut threads in them and use a slide hammer to pull them out. the few in the back of the heads were a pain in the ass i had to make a tool to get those out

btw the o rings will not cause fuel to get into the coolant system

mowing grass 1111
02-17-2008, 11:30 AM
You must have lots of tools to work on these engines.good luck.:drinkup:

yeah i have a bad habit of buying snap on , matco , mac and cornwell tools on ebay....... there are some killer deals to be had on there

mowing grass 1111
02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Yep, could be injector gaskets! (Now I know another way.)

Looks like it may be the "O" ring that would leak into the coolant.

Hope that is it. Looks to be a much easier fix!

GL!

the o ring on the injector would not leak fuel into the coolant system by its self the inj sleeve would have to be bad also

Canon Landscaping
02-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I have a 02 duramax with 100k i was driving down the road and it made a bang and started knocking and smoking white smoke looked like it was on fire I pulled over checked the oil it was fine started it back up it started hard still smoked and knocked. Now it is at the dealer to see if it is the injectors it is out of warranty and if it is not the injectors we will be fixing it ourselves.

Anyone know what could be wrong? Head gasket? Injector cup sleeve?

The truck has never had any power adders it has had regular maintenance and the injectors were replaced at 88k.

mowing grass 1111
02-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I have a 02 duramax with 100k i was driving down the road and it made a bang and started knocking and smoking white smoke looked like it was on fire I pulled over checked the oil it was fine started it back up it started hard still smoked and knocked. Now it is at the dealer to see if it is the injectors it is out of warranty and if it is not the injectors we will be fixing it ourselves.

The truck has never had any power adders it has had regular maintenance and the injectors were replaced at 88k.

i don't know much about the duramax but i do know they had a big problem with injectors . my brother inlaw has three 24 ft duramax roll backs and has problem with injectors on 2 of them... one truck has had 4 sets replaced that i know of . when they went bad they smoked like a freight train

pusher21
02-17-2008, 12:27 PM
the duramax injector problems are on the 2001to 2004.5 years other then that they dont have injector problems

mowing grass 1111
02-17-2008, 12:48 PM
the duramax injector problems are on the 2001to 2004.5 years other then that they dont have injector problems

my brother inlaws truck is an 06

mowing grass 1111
02-17-2008, 01:03 PM
i just talked to my brother inlaw's brother he said the only way for fuel to get into the coolant system on a 7.3 is a cracked injector sleeve ... he said head gaskets and o rings could not cause it... hell he even offered to help put it back together when he gets in town on tuesday

Landrus2
02-17-2008, 01:38 PM
i just talked to my brother inlaw's brother he said the only way for fuel to get into the coolant system on a 7.3 is a cracked injector sleeve ... he said head gaskets and o rings could not cause it... hell he even offered to help put it back together when he gets in town on tuesday

dont rule out Possible crack in the head.:drinkup:

GravelyNut
02-17-2008, 08:14 PM
they are pressed in.. i had to cut threads in them and use a slide hammer to pull them out. the few in the back of the heads were a pain in the ass i had to make a tool to get those out

btw the o rings will not cause fuel to get into the coolant system

Yep! Leaking O rings should cause fuel to get in the oil at worst.

mowing grass 1111
02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
dont rule out Possible crack in the head.:drinkup:

i would put a new takout motor in the truck before i replaced a head:)

Landrus2
02-17-2008, 08:30 PM
i would put a new takout motor in the truck before i replaced a head:)

Good luck with your repair keep us to date.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Im betting on a cracked Injector tube also.....used to get them occasionally on Cummins engines back in the 80's and have fuel in the radiator

wayne

thedieselkid
02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Injector cups going bad are not that uncommon with the 7.3 That is the most common cause for fuel in the antifreeze on those motors. IMHO it isn't that big of a deal to replace either.

mowing grass 1111
02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Injector cups going bad are not that uncommon with the 7.3 That is the most common cause for fuel in the antifreeze on those motors. IMHO it isn't that big of a deal to replace either.

x2 i found one that was leaking bad and another that was suspect, i went ahead and pulled all of them over the weekend . still waiting on the new sleeves they should be here this afternoon . install the new sleeves put new o rings on the injectors and flush the coolant system and she should be as good as new

thedieselkid
02-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Make sure that you use oem orings as opposed to aftermarket ones. Some of the aftermarket ones have a tendancy to go bad fast. Was there a knock when the cup went bad?

Landrus2
02-18-2008, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=mowing grass 1111;2160817]x2 i found one that was leaking bad and another that was suspect, i went ahead and pulled all of them over the weekend . still waiting on the new sleeves they should be here this afternoon . install the new sleeves put new o rings on the injectors and flush the coolant system and she should be as good as new[/QUO

Did the sleeves come off easy? :drinkup:

GravelyNut
02-18-2008, 04:29 PM

The truck has never had any power adders it has had regular maintenance and the injectors were replaced at 88k.On an engine that has a turbo, the first thing I check is the seals in it. Used to have to work on a Ford 7700 tractor that did that. Every time you heard the bang, it would start smoking blueish white smoke. Happened on a regular basis at 500 to 800 hours of use since the last one. They don't burn much oil in that condition but you do lose HP.

Was the smoke under the hood or out the tailpipe?

Marek
02-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Make sure the o rings seat properlly on the injectors. Ford is putting a new motor in one of my trucks because of an injector leak that went on for to long.

Landrus2
02-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Make sure the o rings seat properlly on the injectors. Ford is putting a new motor in one of my trucks because of an injector leak that went on for to long.

Is warranty going to cover for a new engine. those engines are very expensive good luck.:waving:

mowing grass 1111
02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Make sure that you use oem orings as opposed to aftermarket ones. Some of the aftermarket ones have a tendancy to go bad fast. Was there a knock when the cup went bad?

nope no knocking

mowing grass 1111
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=mowing grass 1111;2160817]x2 i found one that was leaking bad and another that was suspect, i went ahead and pulled all of them over the weekend . still waiting on the new sleeves they should be here this afternoon . install the new sleeves put new o rings on the injectors and flush the coolant system and she should be as good as new[/QUO

Did the sleeves come off easy? :drinkup:
yep .. i had to cut threads in them and use a slide hammer to pull them out .. i also made a tool that i bolted to the head that i used to get the sleeves out in the back of each head ... my slide hammer was to long so i could not use it.

i have the new sleeves in and should have the truck running this afternoon

Marek
02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Yea they are going to warranty it, good thing. Truck only has 57k on it with 26 days of warranty left. They are treating me right. I have complained for 2 years that it had no power.Took it to a different shop and they found the problem right away.

Landrus2
02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
i have the new sleeves in and should have the truck running this afternoon[/QUOTE]

Is that truck running? :waving:

mowing grass 1111
02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
i have the new sleeves in and should have the truck running this afternoon

Is that truck running? :waving:[/QUOTE]

yep ..... i put 46 miles on it today its running as good as new :cool2:

AmGreen
02-21-2008, 04:25 AM

i just talked to my brother inlaw's brother <-----just curious, isn't that your brother in law as well? Just wanted to make sure I understood.:dizzy: