PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with this trailer

zima
02-15-2008, 11:11 PM
i have a question, there is a 7x16 open trailer i like to get it dosn't have brake system is any way we can put brakes on this trailer,i think we can,but not so sure if is possible how much that will run.sorry but my 6x12 single axle do not have brakes so no experience . thank you guys; keep up the good work.

lifetree
02-15-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure, but such an upgrade may require new axle or mountings of some type !!

barefeetny
02-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Do you really need trailer brakes?

I know its nice but its not needed by law here in ny

i know my 1 tons have enough brake to stop a trailer

GravelyNut
02-16-2008, 05:02 AM
i have a question, there is a 7x16 open trailer i like to get it dosn't have brake system is any way we can put brakes on this trailer,i think we can,but not so sure if is possible how much that will run.sorry but my 6x12 single axle do not have brakes so no experience . thank you guys; keep up the good work.
On most trailers it isn't that hard to do. Wheels and hub have to come off. Hubs will get discarded in most cases so get a set of drums to fit your axles. Brake backing plates are normally held to the axles by 4 bolts. The bolt holes determine what size brakes you can use. Common combos are 7" on 2000#, 10" on 3500#, and 12" on 5000# axles. You might have more than one choice. If the axles don't have the bolt holes on the axles, then you would have to buy new axles. Trailer supply places can sell you kits to install. Northern Tool has complete sets and axles also. Will require either electrical work or hydraulic work to get them working once the backing plates, shoes/pads, and drums/rotors are installed. Electrics are the easiest and cleanest to install but require a truck mounted controller to be installed.

Landrus2
02-16-2008, 09:26 AM
To have a shop install your set up itís going to run you $1000.

Tadams
02-16-2008, 01:00 PM

There is a Northern Tool in Marietta- it is in between the big chicken and White Water on 41. It is on the opposite side of the road. They sell everything you need to put brakes on your truck and trailer. You will need the backing plates that come with the brakes, the drums to go over the brakes, all the wiring for the trailer, the brake box for the cab of the truck, a break-a-way kit, and the plug-ins for all the wiring. Probably cost around $400-$500.

zima
02-16-2008, 08:56 PM
thank you guys for the replys;i just let this one go i went to look at it today and it didn't have a tail gate so hell whit it the guy want $ 850 so its no for me im just keep looking .