PDA

View Full Version : Doh!

barefeetny
02-16-2008, 01:34 AM
I did something completly Stupid today.....

I stopped by a guys house to use his tig welder

we got bsing and i lost track of time store was allready closed

i had my wifes car and of course she never opens the hood ever!

she was out of washer fluid so i ran back into his garage to borrow some washer fluid?

anyone want to take a guess what i did?

Driving down the road i spray the window.... i ride with the windows cracked or down so ...... smmmmmmsmm s nifff sniiff

what the he!!

I pull over and try to figure out what the heck happened...

took a few but TA DA

.I poured a gallon of 2 cycle mix into the reservoir

he mixes gas for his chainsaw in old washer jugs

had to take the whole reservoir out to empty it

Figured you would all get a kick out of that

Nate

topsites
02-16-2008, 03:54 AM
I got a similar one for ya...
About a week ago I did an oil change on my car, then went on about life.
Maybe a day later the engine's not idling right, little ways down the road the Check engine light comes on, and I could smell oil.

So I pulled over, opened the hood, oil everywhere.
Yup, forgot to put the cap back on the valve cover,
and it was dark so I couldn't see enough to find it (if it was even still under the hood).

But I had a bottle of oil in the trunk!
Yup, 5w30 synth, stuff I always use.
I got to pouring and it didn't look right so I stopped instantly!
Put a little on my hand, hardly caught a whiff I knew it was GAS!
Same crap, I usually keep a quart of mix fuel in the truck, this bottle evidently found its way around wrong.
I only got maybe 2-4 ounces in there...

Drove it home (scared to DEATH) since it was only 1-2 miles.
Turns out it was only a quart low, oil seems fine but will keep an eye on it.

Whew, and yes the cap was still under the hood.

shovelracer
02-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Ive been riding around all winter with a gallon of mixed antifreeze. Well I needed it the other night and right before it spilled out of the bottle if realized something wasnt right. I looked inside and it was a gallon of used oil instead. This should teach us all a lesson about labeling our containers.

DBL
02-16-2008, 11:43 AM
i can see that happening...thats funny

barefeetny
02-16-2008, 07:02 PM
i painted my 2 cycle can bright green for just this reason

heaven forbid someone around my house to do something.... they can't screw it up

i never understood if blitz/others color coating kero/des/regular and not making a color for mix

Nate

bobcat_ron
02-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey at least you didn't grab your buddy's pee bottle!

newz7151
02-16-2008, 09:21 PM
This should teach us all a lesson about labeling our containers.

It should teach you all a lesson about not using empty containers from stuff to store other stuff that the material was not formulated to resist. If you're mixing gas and stuff in old antifreeze or WWasherFluid bottles and then using it, you're introducing leached chemicals from the non-gas resistant bottles into your equipment and just contaminating your fuel supply.

shovelracer
02-16-2008, 09:31 PM
I agree fully, thing was that the jug was meant to go to the local recycling yard. I guess since it had no residue on the outside it was somehow moved to the good fluid shelf and who knows how long it was there. In a hurry I grabbed the jug to put in a plow truck for roadside repairs and there it sat for months till I needed it. Im usually real good about labeling and proper storage, and only load fluids in containers when they are immediately destined for the recycler. Somehow this one missed the boat. As the title reads "Doh!"

Gravel Rat
02-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Washer juice is easy to spot or it is around here because it is blue in colour and in a clear 4 litre jug. I do check when I grab the jug to make sure it is wiper fluid.

It is easy to grab a jug of fluid without thinking and dump it into where it is not supposed to go.

barefeetny
02-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Not only do i agree but had to pass a test on all this to get my osha cert last year

That being said.... take a lesson from all this and don't mix in allready labeled containers... and don't allways assume something is what it is..

2 cycle mix + gas comes in many colors... blue and green being the two most popular

Nate

Gravel Rat
02-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I'am glad I only buy Stihl 2 stroke oil it comes in little bottles that mixes 2.5 gallons worth of 50 to 1 :)