PDA

View Full Version : SAM- (25hp Kohler) can it be tested off mtr?

mowisme
02-16-2008, 09:47 AM
wondering if the SAM can be tested by it's self If I take it in to a shop? I assume it is that device that is bolted to the side(some what back) of the cover and has 3/4 wires coming from it? The face of it is semi-transparent and looks to be circut board or likewise inside. OR..does whole machine need to go in? This is a huge machine (STHM w/snowblower) and my trailer is under 3ft of snow/ice..(and hip isn't healed enough to be digging it out). Hoping to narrow it down by checking the SAM. thanks- Gene (still need to get compression check done too)

sawman65
02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
take it to a kohler dealer that has a sam tester and they will do it for ya. a compresion test wont tell ya much it is more of a balance test you need to have a leakdown test performed that will tell you what you need to know

mowisme
02-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Am I right on it being the thing on side of cover with transparent face? thanks Gene

sawman65
02-16-2008, 11:04 AM
thats the one you will have to pull the shroud off the engine to get to the wires its black and has i think 6 wires coming out of it. dont get the one off that is silver thats for the charging system