PDA

View Full Version : 99' F-250 is nickle and diming me

Lawnvision
02-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I bought a 1999 F-250 used in 2002. The entire underneath is completely rusted. My transmission line recently broke. It has been one thing after another. It seems like the minute I paid it off it became junk. It has been a plow truck as well as landscape maintenance use. manifolds are junk. I'm afraid to tow anything...my mechanic says its because of the plowing. Anyone experience similar problems?

Landrus2
02-16-2008, 09:22 PM
yes snow and salt.

Lawnvision
02-16-2008, 09:26 PM
I have my new trucks undercoated now, but i see guys on here listing trucks they have. Some guys have 90' 91' etc's. That seems hard to believe, what's their secret...maybe they don't plow?

Gravel Rat
02-16-2008, 10:06 PM
You bought somebody elses problems so what do you expect.

Put some higher insurance on it and push the truck over a bank to write it off and collect the insurance money. Tell the insurance company one of the employees forgot to turn the truck off and put it in park :laugh:

Lawnvision
02-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Sounds really ethical!

Gravel Rat
02-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Well if you want to make any money from the truck that is the only option :drinkup:

Victor
02-17-2008, 01:45 AM
I was wondering how long it was going to take you to find this forum.

It sounds like you've got yourself a runaway on your hands. The best thing you can probably do is to cut your losses and sell that truck before it costs you any more money.

Classified
02-17-2008, 03:35 AM
I was wondering how long it was going to take you to find this forum.

It sounds like you've got yourself a runaway on your hands. The best thing you can probably do is to cut your losses and sell that truck before it costs you any more money.

thats right and buy vics truck since its soooo nice!

anyway, my Dad has 2 99s and the same thing is happening to both but you got know that the trucks are over 10 years old (ours were delivered in early/mid 98) and being in the salty elements for that long, of course things are going to rust out if they arent hosed down after every storm.

Atlantic Lawn
02-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Gotta remember when you buy a used truck you're buying what life is left in it. Many people prefer to own a truck in the second half of it's life better price sure but alot of times that price is offset by replacing stuff that's worn out. Often times owning the first half of a trucks life actually can cost less and have far less headaches. Gettin' yourself to that level is tough sometimes and many people still prefer payin cash rather than havin' a payment hangin' over their head. I prefer to own the first life these days whether it's trucks or equipment.

Victor
02-17-2008, 02:29 PM
thats right and buy vics truck since its soooo nice!

:laugh: Oh no. I don't want Matt to buy my truck. Thanks for the good words though Doug. :)

Lawnvision
02-17-2008, 03:19 PM
You remember me Victor? I still have the trailer i bought from you in 2001 and the 36" Exmark, both working well! You still out there working?

Lawnvision
02-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Vic, I've been reading posts for awhile, just never got involved in the discussions. I wish I never did, it's fun and gets addicting. business going well for you?

Capemay Eagle
02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Now you know the importance of Undercoating if your going to plow.

Lawnvision
02-17-2008, 03:48 PM
It's worth the money. i work with 6 other companies in my area and none of them have their trucks undercoated, don't act like it's the norm.

Victor
02-17-2008, 07:22 PM
You remember me Victor? I still have the trailer i bought from you in 2001 and the 36" Exmark, both working well! You still out there working?

Sure I remember you. I'm glad to hear they're working well for you. As far as business goes, it's going great! I'm really looking forward to getting started back up this year. Luckily, it won't be long. :)

I know what you mean about this site being very addictive.

Victor
02-17-2008, 07:26 PM
It's worth the money. i work with 6 other companies in my area and none of them have their trucks undercoated, don't act like it's the norm.

By the way. My truck IS undercoated. :laugh:

Lawnvision
02-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I checked out your website, its nice! Are you solely focusing on lawn treatments and out of the mowing? Also, I still do not accept credit cards...how has it worked out for you. I seem to be growing without them, but am seriuosly thinking about accepting them.

Stillwater
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
You bought somebody elses problems so what do you expect.

Put some higher insurance on it and push the truck over a bank to write it off and collect the insurance money. Tell the insurance company one of the employees forgot to turn the truck off and put it in park :laugh:

Yes !, lie about your employees and commit insurance fraud advising people to commit felonies is great advice

Victor
02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
I checked out your website, its nice! Are you solely focusing on lawn treatments and out of the mowing? Also, I still do not accept credit cards...how has it worked out for you. I seem to be growing without them, but am seriuosly thinking about accepting them.

Thank you. :) Yes. I absolutely love doing applications. I sold off all of my mowing equipment and customers. Now I'm focusing on what I love to do.

I hated mowing. Well... Allow me to qualify that. I liked mowing (the actual act of sitting on one of my ZTR's and mowing lawns). I just hated ancillary things that came along with mowing. I'm so glad I did it. I only wish I'd done it sooner!

Getting set up to accept credit cards was one of the best business decisions I ever made. You really set yourself apart from your competitors, since most lawn care companies don't accept them and it also makes life a lot easier for me as well. "Don't have the money in your checking account to pay me? No problem. I accept Visa, Master Card, Discover and AM Ex." "So you can't swing the $800 to pay me to renovate your lawn?" I give them the same payment option. I close deals that I wouldn't have closed had I not gotten set up to accept them.

Stillwater
02-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I just hated ancillary things that came along with mowing. I'm so glad I did it. I only wish I'd done it sooner!

I hear you on this !

Lawnvision
02-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I only mow about 2-3 days a week myself, my guys mow the rest. The other 3-4 days are spent doing lawn apps., clean ups and installs. what about plowing? Interested in possibly sub. contr. next year?

topsites
02-19-2008, 12:20 AM
It's all about perspective, I think you got 6 years out of it and that is so HOT!

My truck's a 95 and it came from up north so salt-related rust is everywhere making it a real joy to work on and the EGR is acting stupid which makes the Check Engine light stay on...
You know, I've got a paper clip hot wiring my a/c so at least it works, and most of the rest of the truck is in about that shape.

But it RUNS and I drive the heck out of it, that is, I only push it but so hard because she can act down right stupid if I punch it, but I still love it. Yeah see I paid cash for it, free and clear since day 1.

So, maybe you have to sell yours so a dude like myself can have another chance?
Then I can sell mine and buy yours thou I think I still like my $3000 ride too much.
Or, because you could always do like I do and lower your standards heheh

Honestly?
Fix'er up DIY best you can, then drive it.
Won't be perfect, mickey mouse problems everywhere but who cares!
Don't spend a fortune on it now, those days are a bit past but by no means is it the end.

As I'm fond of saying, if it don't got at least one idiot light blinking something's wrong with that sensor or the light bulb lol

That's what I would do, just take it kinda easy, she's not brand new anymore.
Yup, drive that joker till the wheels fall off, keep on getting it until you got your money's worth.
Change the oil every 3k and a few more things but don't worry too much about it all.
Just drive it.