PDA

View Full Version : Dump Insert or Flatbed Dump?

KS_Grasscutter
02-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Ok, so I am at the point now that I need (no, dont need, just really want) a way to get crap out of my truck, that doesn't involve me actually getting out of my truck... So which would ya'll get, an insert or a flatbed dump? It will go on a long bed 3/4 ton truck. I am kinda leaning towards a flatbed dump, because of the increased capacity, and also the ability to haul pallets of stuff easier. Only advantage I can see of having an insert is that it is cheaper, and it would be much easier to move from truck to truck.

Money IS kinda an issue, but I don't want to end up getting something I won't be happy with, just because it's cheaper.

KS_Grasscutter
02-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Any opinions?

Also, aluminum vs. steel. While alum. would give me at least 400 lbs. of extra payload capacity, I feel that a steel bed may be better, to have extra weight to give more traction when plowing snow.

kc2006
02-17-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. But going with a 1 ton. I have the added issue of finding the truck first also.

I think it would be easier for me to find a cleaner used regular bed 1 ton then it would a dump. I mean dumps are for working only, they get beat up and normally are only sold with high miles. Thats one point towards an insert.

The other thing is, regular bed with insert is cheaper then a dump like you said. The other thing is, it's easier to work with when it comes to plowing. Not as wide, nothing obstructing view. Or in my case probably just take it out.

When it comes to a dump, you have more capacity, but in my case i'd go dually 1 ton, so it would be wider and harder for the drives that I plow. But the extra weight is nice for the lots I plow.

For me, I think I might just go insert for now, and when the time comes switch to a larger flatbed.

As far as metal. For a 3/4, you might want to opt for the aluminum to get as much payload as you can. Your limiting yourself on it going with 3/4 in the first place. Might be worth the extra money.

gogreencanada
02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
have a look here. I've had one for 2 years and love the versitality of the unit. no more back strains or aches. www.powerdecks.com

DBL
02-17-2008, 04:06 PM
. Only advantage I can see of having an insert is that it is cheaper

Money IS kinda an issue,.

there you go.... on a 3/4 ton truck a dump insert will be the way to go with gvw a flat bed dump you wont get much capacity out of it

Smitty58
02-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I have a F-350 srw and after my wreck I had a Knapheide flatbed put on it. It was $2325 installed with a headache rack. I can add the dump cylinder for another $1700. I really like the way it turned out, much easier to work out of then a pickup bed. Like you said loading from any side now is a pc of cake.

flykelley
02-17-2008, 04:23 PM
I have a Downeaster dump insert in my truck. I have had it for almost a year now and love it. I use it to deliver mulch and use it for spreading salt in the winter. I paid just under 3K with a two way cylinder.

Regards Mike

RedSox4Life
02-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Even though I'm sure there's lots of people who will disagree, I always thought single wheel flatbeds (like on a 3/4 ton) look cobbled together and unprofessional. Maybe try one of these http://www.z-dump.com/ ? They're low profile so they keep your pickup looking like a pickup.

Smitty58
02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Here is a picture of mine with the new flatbed. I think it looks pretty good.
I put the boxes on to hold the salt in ,not sure if I'm going to keep them on though.

BMFD92
02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
i banged my bumper and bed up the other day in the storm so I think im gonna put a flatbed dump on my pickup instead of replacing a whole new body that just gets dings and dents from working.

Gravel Rat
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
A flatbed dump is a better choice than a insert. The only key thing is try have a deck built so it can be low deck height. You don't want the bed so high that its a SOB to lift anything onto it.

For a 3/4 ton aluminum is pretty much a must. For what the truck will beable to haul a direct mount hoist would be the lightest hoist or a front mount hoist.

A scissor hoist is too heavy.

kc2006
02-18-2008, 03:46 PM
smitty, have you considered getting the landscape dump style sides and back for your bed? That'd be the way to go, you can haul as much mulch or clippings as that truck can handle, they're easy on/off.

BMFD92
02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
this is the bed im thinking of putting on my truck

http://www.burquip.com/recent/cimg1103resizedaltered.jpg

http://www.burquip.com/recent/cimg1101resizedaltered.jpg

newtostone
02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I like that bed how much are you looking at for something like that on a srw?

kc2006
02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
BMFD, thats a nice looking bed! I'd consider that. I always thought SRW flatbeds looked cheap but that one looks really nice.

Dstosh
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I would go with a dump insert. That way if the need arises you can get a salter for the back. As far as steel or aluminum, I would go with steel, if need be, you can weld it easily.

Smitty58
02-18-2008, 06:53 PM
BMFD92 - that is the bed I just had put on without the rack sides. It was $2325 installed including the headache rack.

One bad thing about putting a salter on a dump insert is the cost. Also those, I think are setup for bulk salt so if you are running bags you might as well just do a receiver spreader. I always wanted a insert but now I think a dump flatbed is more versatle.

Gravel Rat
02-18-2008, 07:24 PM
The only thing to keep in mind with those knaphied (sp) decks is they are not long lasting ie rust out. They are light weight thou so they would work good for a 3/4 ton.

BMFD92
02-18-2008, 09:52 PM
im not expecting to haul a whole of weight but a little more volume then my pickup bed. I got a quote of 5400 for the body. Still dont know if im gonna get it or not. The only reason why i am looking into this option is cause my rear end got banged up from a wall while plowing. I figure the damage to fix the pickup bed is going to be a couple thousands so i may as well get the flatbed instead of fixing the pickup bed and then getting an insert.

Eclipse
02-18-2008, 11:58 PM
I think the flatbed dump is the way to go. Persoanlly I think they look good but if not, who cares? They are work truck not sports cars.

pj550v12
02-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Anyone else in the same boat I am? I just bought a new truck and really just love the way it looks and dont want the look of the flatbed dump. When it comes down to it sure its a work truck and all, but I still love the way it looks now.
Now with steel vs aluminum, I know all the arguments, yes steel is 400lbs lighter, and doesn't rust but its $2000 more, you can by 2 steel inserts for the price of one aluminum!!
Soo, I'm thinking of going with the steel, I think I can find one for around $2000 if i realize after a year that I really dont like it I can still get a good $1500 for it.

Eclipse
02-19-2008, 08:33 AM
I think you will have a hard time finding a steel insert with a cab protector for much less than $2500.

The reason I do not like most steel inserts is because they sit so far off the bed of the truck because of the scissor lift most use for the dump.

I like the Truck Craft aluminum or the Little Tipster steel insert because they are much closer to the bed fo the truck.

stroker51
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm a vote for a flatbed with a dump. Added volume, you won't tear up a good regular bed, and if you get a steel bed a new coat of paint from a black rattle can once a year and it will look good for a long long time. As far as weight is concerned, anybody that uses a salt spreader of any size in a 3/4 ton pickup is way over the gvw of the truck, esp. if you have a plow on. The extra weight of a steel flatbed I think is outweighed by the cost of an aluminum bed. I've got one truck with an aluminum flatbed that I bought from it's original owner. He was a welder and built the bed new in 1986. He had over $1500 in material in it back then. A pretty nice steel bed can be bought for that or less. Just my .02.