PDA

View Full Version : Kohler CV25S- ok..going to replace head gaskets but..

mowisme
02-17-2008, 12:58 PM
I took carb off again and decided I'm going to do a 24 hour soak in solvent. Then blow it out. I was going to re-check my air-gap on the 'new' ignition modules while carb was off..But have decided I might as well take heads off and replace gaskets. If I can get muffler off I'll replace Head bolts with studs..But need muffler off to do that so as to have the room to 'slide' head over them. Muffler appears ok if I go with standard head bolts. I will also 'Lap' the valves while apart. Now my question: being it has hydrolic lifters..(A)should I replace them assuming I can get them out,to eliminate any possibility one is getting bad? (B) with hydrolic lifters there are no valve adjustment right? just rocker arm torque as well as Head torque? Does this sound like good plan? Previous post stated It was only running on loss of power (miss/black smoke/was running good first few minutes..worse now) Thanks- Gene P.S.- thought it might be SAM..but don't appear this motor has that-nothing under cover.

Two Seasons
02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I took carb off again and decided I'm going to do a 24 hour soak in solvent. Then blow it out. I was going to re-check my air-gap on the 'new' ignition modules while carb was off..But have decided I might as well take heads off and replace gaskets. If I can get muffler off I'll replace Head bolts with studs..But need muffler off to do that so as to have the room to 'slide' head over them. Muffler appears ok if I go with standard head bolts. I will also 'Lap' the valves while apart. Now my question: being it has hydrolic lifters..(A)should I replace them assuming I can get them out,to eliminate any possibility one is getting bad? (B) with hydrolic lifters there are no valve adjustment right? just rocker arm torque as well as Head torque? Does this sound like good plan? Previous post stated It was only running on loss of power (miss/black smoke/was running good first few minutes..worse now) Thanks- Gene P.S.- thought it might be SAM..but don't appear this motor has that-nothing under cover.

Hydraulic lifters are kept within spec by oil pressure. Once broken in, I'd use synthetic oil to keep it all clean inside.

Why don't you throw your dealer a bone and have them do the work. All will be done quickly and you'll not pull your hair out trying to do it. I can't imagine that it would cost you over a couple Ben Franklin's to get it done.

mowisme
02-17-2008, 02:55 PM
The STHM is not needed (snowblower on it, not mower) ..Thought I'd give it a whirl as it is kind of a 'winter blues' project. And also... 2 ben franklin's is about 1 more than I can afford. I also need to pamper my new hip (no shoveling) and the trailer to get it to a shop is 'buried' to the hilt in snow/ice. excuses,excuses..I know. I realized after post that the exhaust has to come off- So in that case, should I switch to 'studs'? It would mean I got to remove hydro oil container and brackets, support platform, ect..so I can slide head on. If I stay with 'bolts' none of the hydro needs to be removed. Do the 'studs' verses the 'bolts' make that much differance to warrent all the extra work? what I've read seems most gasket repairs at shops just use new bolts, not studs? thanks- Gene

mowisme
02-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Not to sound to dumb here..but what does 'bump' mean Joe..? ( my guess is agreeing with previous respond)

sawman65
02-17-2008, 07:47 PM
if it has head bolts now use them when you reasemble.and as far as the lifters replace them they are cheap and you are there you may as well

Bill Kapaun
02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
You can go to the Kohler website and down load the service manual for that engine. IIRC, they have a caveat on the hydraulic lifter installation procedure.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/service/manuals/index.jsp

mowisme
02-17-2008, 08:05 PM
thanks all..I have that downloaded as of today..I'll go now and see what they say on installing lifters. Gene