PDA

View Full Version : Worst WB's Exposed.!!!!

Turf Commando
02-17-2008, 05:05 PM
List the WB's you feel are cheap, Chinese, or PITA.....

barefeetny
02-17-2008, 05:20 PM
this is a dumb thread thats going to start a flame war.imo

Nate

JRS Landscaping
02-17-2008, 05:22 PM
this is a dumb thread thats going to start a flame war.imo

Nate

agreed........

Turf Commando
02-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Not really, it's opinion based people need to know what to be on the lookout for ...

barefeetny
02-17-2008, 05:28 PM
it will be fine untill someone says

TORO

Turf Commando
02-17-2008, 05:29 PM

TORO
I always thought Toro was decent....

barefeetny
02-17-2008, 05:30 PM

TORO, scag, the quick series Name your popular brand here...

then 9 pages of nonsense....

lets talk about something productive... if anyone is worryied about buying a specific brand i'm sure their will be a super lengthy discussion

there allways is

Nate

Dynamic
02-17-2008, 05:31 PM
What the heck is WB's?

Turf Commando
02-17-2008, 05:31 PM
What the heck is WB's?
Walk behind mowers...

Dynamic
02-17-2008, 05:34 PM
We have a cubcadet that we enjoy but as far as worst??????
Next crazy question that I see a lot on here is what is pita?

DLAWNS
02-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Pain in the a**.

Dynamic
02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Ah, say no more.

tb8100
02-17-2008, 07:31 PM

its one of those things you get at Wendys or Jack in the Crack.

IN2MOWN
02-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Buntons or Scags

I put them on the same level as Red Hawk Mowers but harder to work on in the field.

ACA L&L
02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
the stealth mower by seutech industries. Jap krap!

Turf Commando
02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
the stealth mower by seutech industries. Jap krap!
Thats useful information...

S man
02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Anything with pistol grip controls.

tamadrummer
02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I'll bite....

I am very disappointed with the handling of my belt drive/pistol gripped 36" G15. Be it John Deere or any other brand I don't think I would be happy with a belt drive machine of any brand.

I have used my friends eXmark Viking dual hydro many many times and it is like running a Cadillac when compared to a belt drive of the same size. Both are 36" machines.

I will say that the finished cut of my 36 is really nice but it is just simply a hassle to run. Just my opinion though.

GravelyNut
02-17-2008, 08:47 PM
The last good walkbehinds were made by Gravely. They looked like the one below that I brought home today. :D :usflag:

ACA L&L
02-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Thats useful information...

Its a gigantic waste of money. :hammerhead::hammerhead:Bad Cut, Overall bad design!

Turf Commando
02-17-2008, 10:42 PM
The last good walkbehinds were made by Gravely. They looked like the one below that I brought home today. :D :usflag:
That thing is awesome......''BLAST from the PAST''.:cool2:

smcunningham
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
IN2MOWN Buntons or Scags

I put them on the same level as Red Hawk Mowers but harder to work on in the field.
Today 07:31 PM

I love my 52"hydro pistol grip 18 briggs Scag W/b

tb8100
02-18-2008, 12:52 AM
The Dixie Chopper WB36/Redhawk/Bradley chinese walk.

B&M
02-18-2008, 01:39 AM

Do you have a red Hawk?

I do and it works just fine, and it cuts wonderfully. I never have any problems with it. By the way we have had it for over a year. Please stop downing mowers you have never used. 36in kohler

chuck bow
02-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Scag Walk? worst/bad Your kidding right ?

grass_cuttin_fool
02-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Anything with pistol grip controls.

Same here

wayne

SNAPPER MAN
02-18-2008, 07:39 AM
I PERSONALLY hate the toro Tbar. I sold mine for a cubcadet commercial pistol grip and I love it.

IN2MOWN
02-18-2008, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=B&M;2160335]Do you have a red Hawk?

I do and it works just fine, and it cuts wonderfully. I never have any problems with it. By the way we have had it for over a year. Please stop downing mowers you have never used. 36in kohler[/QUOTE

Have we met?

IN2MOWN
02-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Scag Walk? worst/bad Your kidding right ?

No I'm not kidding.

gandk06
02-18-2008, 08:56 AM
The problem with this thread is that people are going to chime in on equipment that they have never owned or even operated. :hammerhead:

IN2MOWN
02-18-2008, 09:01 AM
The problem with this thread is that people are going to chime in on equipment that they have never owned or even operated. :hammerhead:

How do you know?

I have not seen anyone here so far criticize something and claim they have never used one.

All 3 of the mowers I mentioned I have used at one point or another. I think Im qualified to label them as junk and I did.

gandk06
02-18-2008, 09:48 AM
How do you know?

I have not seen anyone here so far criticize something and claim they have never used one.

All 3 of the mowers I mentioned I have used at one point or another. I think Im qualified to label them as junk and I did.

It may have not started yet but it will. This site is filled with know-it-all's that have no knowledge of what they are talking about.

Secondly, if you are going to say something is junk it would really help to tell why you feel that way. When someone bad mouths something with no reason given the first thing I think is that they have no real knowledge of what they are talking about.
Give some reasons and I (maybe some others, too) will start to listen.

Jason Rose
02-18-2008, 09:55 AM
36" belt drive Lesco's.

Yes, I owned one, and I have known a couple other people that made the same mistake! Horrible to control and turn, like driving a little tank around. Yes, built really well, but belt drives are just horrible. At least I bought mine used and not new like the other guys I know. I didn't loose much when I sold it. What's funny, the guy I sold it to never could use it either.

IN2MOWN
02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
It may have not started yet but it will. This site is filled with know-it-all's that have no knowledge of what they are talking about.

Secondly, if you are going to say something is junk it would really help to tell why you feel that way. When someone bad mouths something with no reason given the first thing I think is that they have no real knowledge of what they are talking about.

Youre right and I tried to edit my post but it was too late.

IMO Scags and Buntons are very difficult to work on in the field. No quick fixes for them. Buntons have a tendency to rust like crazy. I think the Scags stink on hills due to the fact they weigh a ton. Their hydros are decent but their belts are lousy machines.

As far as the Redhawk goes...very poorly made. There is a reason they are 1/2 the price of any other WB on the market. They are the least durable machine on the market due to the fact they are made with thinner metal and low quality wiring.

either way, we all have our own opinion. I run Encore and Deere and have seen people here rip them for the last decade. To each his own.

IN2MOWN
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM
36" belt drive Lesco's.

Yes, I owned one, and I have known a couple other people that made the same mistake! Horrible to control and turn, like driving a little tank around. Yes, built really well, but belt drives are just horrible. At least I bought mine used and not new like the other guys I know. I didn't loose much when I sold it. What's funny, the guy I sold it to never could use it either.

I really think belt drives in general are difficult to run.

gandk06
02-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Youre right and I tried to edit my post but it was too late.

IMO Scags and Buntons are very difficult to work on in the field. No quick fixes for them. Buntons have a tendency to rust like crazy. I think the Scags stink on hills due to the fact they weigh a ton. Their hydros are decent but their belts are lousy machines.

As far as the Redhawk goes...very poorly made. There is a reason they are 1/2 the price of any other WB on the market. They are the least durable machine on the market due to the fact they are made with thinner metal and low quality wiring.

either way, we all have our own opinion. I run Encore and Deere and have seen people here rip them for the last decade. To each his own.

Thank you.

I can now at least see why you don't like those machines.

cgaengineer
02-18-2008, 10:10 AM
:rolleyes:I maybe a bit biased since I own a Toro T2, but anything not made by Toro is junk!:rolleyes:

I have not owned any other WB mower except a Toro.

Keep in mind this was supposed to be funny!

DLAWNS
02-18-2008, 11:05 AM
I owned a 36" Lesco belt driven walk behind and I was really not pleased with it. It was a little bit hard to operate, and I just was never happy with the cut. I can't really explain why but I just didn't like it. I now use an Exmark Metro 32" belt drive for backyards and small areas and I like it a lot more. I would prefer a hydro, but it does the job for now.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I PERSONALLY hate the toro Tbar. I sold mine for a cubcadet commercial pistol grip and I love it.

36" belt drive Lesco's (suck).

We're all entitled to our own opinions, by all means - so I just want to say I love T-Bar belt drives... and, ironically, HATE Lesco (CubCadet) pistol grips (belt-drives).

If you're gonna use a belt drive and want to operate the mower at full speed, the T-bar is about the only option to avoid carpal-tunnel. Along those lines, Gravely also has their belt drive with that T-bar style handle, too (though I've not used it)...

B&M
02-18-2008, 11:45 AM

Thank you
:clapping:

chuck bow
02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
NOt Me i learned to keep my mouth shut on equipment i have never ran

chuck bow
02-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Will be interesting for the guys that love the T bar how the new Scag PRO-V will pan out. And i agree on the belt drives Scags as i have had 2 and hated them after running the hydros but if a belt drive is all you have run then you dont know any better, There always will be a small place in the market for the belts but alot of guys are now going to ZTRS

ProStreetCamaro
02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Just check out my SIG for which WB I hate with a passion. Let me clue everybody in. It says POS next to it.

It is a shaggy cutting, breaking down POS. It is so bad it is now 8 or 9 years old and we have only put about 300 to 400 hours on it.

Valk
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
It says POS next to it.

So it's belt-driven I take it...? :D

Turf Commando
02-18-2008, 03:57 PM
So let me get this right, belt drives are for people like me who are starting out in the business.?
Hydros are more for the professional who'S been around the bend...?
If so, then I'm starting out in the right direction..:walking:

tacoma200
02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Just check out my SIG for which WB I hate with a passion. Let me clue everybody in. It says POS next to it.

It is a shaggy cutting, breaking down POS. It is so bad it is now 8 or 9 years old and we have only put about 300 to 400 hours on it.

I see you still have the Exmark listed on ZTR's. How many hours on that baby now? It's been a good one looks like.

I still remember some of your lawn pictures cut with the Cub Tank. Great cut, made me change my mind about Cub/Lesco products.

cutbetterthanyou
02-18-2008, 06:47 PM
I agree with all the comments on the scag wb they suck on hills anything the scag will cut my 72 inch exmark lazer will cut. I don't like how the pulleys and bracket that are closest to you for the belt drive are only 1 thin little bolt. If you bump it on the tralier with the mower behind it, it throws the pulley sideways and makes the belt come off.

tacoma200
02-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I agree with all the comments on the scag wb they suck on hills anything the scag will cut my 72 inch exmark lazer will cut. I don't like how the pulleys and bracket that are closest to you for the belt drive are only 1 thin little bolt. If you bump it on the tralier with the mower behind it, it throws the pulley sideways and makes the belt come off.

I have just the opposite scenario with my ZTR's (I know your speaking of the Scag WB). My Turf Tiger will hold hills that I wouldn't even attempt with the Lazer. I'm not sure another ZTR will hold as well on hills with the fuel tank under the seat and such a low center of gravity. Not knocking Exmark because I love my Lazer but not on steep slopes.

Suburban Cowboy
02-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Not sure - I hate everyting that breaks!!!!

bigclawn
02-18-2008, 07:24 PM
I think a lot of times, people bought belt drives because they were the cheapest available, and then they do not take care of them, then bad mouth the machine. You always get what you pay for. Is it the machine?? Really? At the dealer ship we go to, the people with the most machine problems have problems with almost everything they own and it's never THEIR fault! Met a guy the other day with an "04 Scag belt drive and he was really griping about its poor movement and get this--in all these years he has never changed or adjusted the belts ( and it looked like it), never greased te spindles and still had his original blades (what was left of them!)--This was truly truly an owner problem. and I am sure it is more prevalent than we think!
We have 2 1972 36" Buntons that go out on the trucks every day to back up the Scag hydro's that we use as primary's. We run all our mowers long and hard, take reasonable care of them and never had any real problems. We have 5 72" Scag hydro walk behinds, 3 61"s (ask Chuck--he has seen them all!)--most are on their 3rd and 4th engines, and all perform just pretty much like the day we bought them! All paid for--very few problems ( happens to any brand)--very easy to operate--parts readily available-----I truly think it boils down to buying top quality to begin with, taking care of what you buy and respecting your machines limitations (right machine for the job!)

barefeetny
02-18-2008, 07:46 PM
my toro is on its 3rd motor at least

my scag is on its second...

belt drives are great, they cost less, cut the same and are easy to work on....If you take care of them they will last forever

When season starts around here i'm going to conduct a little test

i'm going to mow a lawn with 3 different machines and take a picture

a 48 z
a 48 hydro
and my old 48 backup mower scag

I'm willing to bet 90 % won't be able to tell one from another...

half this mower talk is just chest thumping imho

chuck bow
02-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I agree with you barefeet and i agree with bigclawn to ( yes i have seen his machines and believe me a 72 walk or for that matter a 61 walk is one big honking walk) as long as you keep the machine in top shape with sharp blades and just take care of it it will last a long long time ( i have one scag walk on its second motor myself with 2300 plus hrs second motor has 300 hrs )

cutbetterthanyou
02-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I have just the opposite scenario with my ZTR's (I know your speaking of the Scag WB). My Turf Tiger will hold hills that I wouldn't even attempt with the Lazer. I'm not sure another ZTR will hold as well on hills with the fuel tank under the seat and such a low center of gravity. Not knocking Exmark because I love my Lazer but not on steep slopes.

Not really sure about the tt because when i had mine i never had a chance to put it on a hill but i agree it probably does handle hills well it is heavy, wide, and a low center of gravity. My 36 belt isn't. The same hill that i put my lazer on i almost flipped the walk on.I do like that if you flip the walk you can let go and most likely the walk will not roll on top of you. Not really complaining just stating what I don't like about it maybe it is just me. We aren't in a very hilly area nor populated one most of are yards around here anyone can use a 72 ztr so that is what i am use to. Maybe i just can't operate a walk as good as some. I was only using it 6-7 hours a week so who knows.

AmGreen
02-20-2008, 01:04 AM
I love Husqvarna - run a 61" ZTR that holds hills like a mountain goat. My 36" WB Husqvarna with pistol grips cuts like a razor - stripes fescue as if it were rolled. I like the pistols simply because it's lite weight - great for curb hopping.
As for Scag, I know nothing about them, however, I did look at a Scag WB at a local expo. The damn thing had jet ski grips on it that sensed the users hands - also turned similar to riding a bike - test drove it - seemed pretty sweet, just a bit heavy.

Willofalltrades
02-20-2008, 08:04 AM
I have a 1998 John Deere HD45. It has a 48" deck on it. I bought it with 860 hours for $1600... not that bad. I have put on a new spindle, deck drive belt, and performed all regular maintenance to the machine... sometimes giving each grease zerk a shot before the start of each day. It has 1010 hours on it now (it has been my back-up machine for the last two years and I'm a solo-op). I love this machine. Except for the fact that the right hydro is a little weaker than the other... that costs 1000 to repair through John Deere... I'll scrap it before I buy a new hydro...

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I've been at this on my own for 6 years and was at it with my brother for another 7 years before that. We both still run belt-drive 36" Toro T-bars.

They're cheap, they do great 98% of the time, and are simple to repair in the field. There's not much that can crap out on them...

Plus, I was able to increase my top speed by 25% for a mere $30 by virtue of my mower being a belt drive. (I reduced the tranny pulley.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with a hydro... but when you can pick up a nice belt-drive for $3K that works great and is simple to use (for me, anyhow) - why spend the extra dough?

J&R Landscaping
02-20-2008, 10:32 AM
I've got one... Its not as much of a POS as it is just a bit flukey and wierd.

I ran a Snapper Pro Express 32 belt drive mower. The engine (kawi 15hp) was great. Electric pto was ok but seemed to be slower tip speed then the other big names. What was weird is the tranny. It was a Peerless 5 speed with reverse. It just seemed to be slower in all the gears then other machines.

When I demoed the machine at my dealer, I made sure to mention it. He ran it a few more times and picked up on it. In front of me and a few others, him and 2 of his techs ran a toro and bobcat right along with the snapper. In every gear, the snapper seemed to be slower. He checked over everything and nothing was wrong. I later found out that the 2 others he got with the same order were slower as well.

customcurbdesigns
02-20-2008, 12:28 PM

Thats not a problem with this thread, thats a problem with this whole website...:laugh:

gandk06
02-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Thats not a problem with this thread, thats a problem with this whole website...:laugh:

You just have to learn to pick through what people are saying. If you read long enough you will learn which people have the real knowledge. There is some great info here just use some of it with caution!

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I've got one... Its not as much of a POS as it is just a bit flukey and wierd.

I ran a Snapper Pro Express 32 belt drive mower. The engine (kawi 15hp) was great. Electric pto was ok but seemed to be slower tip speed then the other big names. What was weird is the tranny. It was a Peerless 5 speed with reverse. It just seemed to be slower in all the gears then other machines.

When I demoed the machine at my dealer, I made sure to mention it. He ran it a few more times and picked up on it. In front of me and a few others, him and 2 of his techs ran a toro and bobcat right along with the snapper. In every gear, the snapper seemed to be slower. He checked over everything and nothing was wrong. I later found out that the 2 others he got with the same order were slower as well.

On a peerless, the speed is based on the pulley size under the tranny. If Snapper was running a larger pulley, you're getting fewer rotations per motor rpms...