PDA

View Full Version : 25 Hp Kawi Hard to start

Dstosh
02-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Ive got a Lesco Z-Two with a 25 hp Kawi, It has less than 1000 hrs on it. It is becoming increasingly hard to start, It seems like you have to crank it for 5-10 minutes to get it to start. It seems to get worse as the weather gets colder out, During fall clean ups, it was a ***** to start. I put a new battery in the fall, 425 CA. Is there any common problems with these engines? I thought I read somewhere that the coils went bad, Any Help is appreciated. Thanks

MowerMedic77
02-17-2008, 06:33 PM
It has less than 1000 hrs on it.

How many valve adjustments has this engine had? Kawi recommends every 300hrs as part of normal maintenance. Also check that your choke is closing completely during start up.

Dstosh
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Zero Valve adjustments. Thanks for the tip. I am going to tackle it this week.

How hard is it to adjust the valves?

MowerMedic77
02-17-2008, 06:57 PM
If you do a search in this board for Kawi valve adjustments, Restrorob has posted the procedure right from the kawi manual on more then one occasion. Post your model and spec# and I can give you your lash setting and part# for the valve cover gaskets you will need to replace.

Here is one of the posts
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=193774&highlight=Kawi+valve+adjustments

Dstosh
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Better Late than never. I pulled a couple numbers off the motor.

Code fh712v-cs26-r

Engine Number Fh721vb39185

Let me know if that is what you need MM. Thanks

Landrus2
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Better Late than never. I pulled a couple numbers off the motor.

Code fh712v-cs26-r

Engine Number Fh721vb39185

Let me know if that is what you need MM. Thanks

Hello there from New York.

So your Kawasaki engine is given you problemís I donít tking the coil is your problem you mention on cold whether gets worse.

Ok this is what I would do first in winter I would run Mobil one 10w30 synthetic.

Second I would check your choke linkage that is most likely where your problem is.

I would levee the valves for last.:waving:

MowerMedic77
03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Adjust cold @ TDC (.003-.005) both intake and exhaust and the valve cover gasket # is 11060-7013 MSRP is $2.55 each.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.:)

Dstosh
03-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Going to try and tackle this next week. What is the best way to find TDC? My buddy said there should be a mark on the flywheel, but I wasnt sure.

Thanks

I MOW ALONE
03-07-2008, 01:17 AM
are you 100% sure the choke is closing fully ?

02DURAMAX
03-07-2008, 04:34 AM
I may need to get my valves adjusted..

Dstosh
03-07-2008, 09:24 AM
are you 100% sure the choke is closing fully ?

No. I will check that out.

MowerMedic77
03-07-2008, 09:30 AM
What is the best way to find TDC?

It is the point @ which the piston is at its highest point of travel in the cylinder and both the intake and exhaust valves are closed.

Four cycle(stroke)
1. Intake
2. Compression(TDC)
3. Power/combustion
4. Exhaust

Pull your plugs and valve covers then, I remove the debris guard(but not the debris cutter) on the top of the engine so I can turn it by hand. I will then turn it and watch the valves open and close until I get back to #1 in the stroke then use a straw or the plastic end of a ball point pen(so as to not damage the cylinder) to stick into the spark plug hole and slowly turn the engine up to point #2 in the stroke at this point the pen should have pushed up and your piston will be close to the spark plug hole opening and both of your valves will be closed and you should also be able to wiggle your rocker arms with your fingers. At this point you can make your valve lash adjustment on that cylinder remember to follow the same procedure for the second cylinder. Sometimes I will spin the engine over a few revolutions before reinstalling the plugs and then recheck my settings before installing the covers and plugs, but this is up to you not a necessary step.

grasskicker71
03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Ive got a Lesco Z-Two with a 25 hp Kawi, It has less than 1000 hrs on it. It is becoming increasingly hard to start, It seems like you have to crank it for 5-10 minutes to get it to start. It seems to get worse as the weather gets colder out, During fall clean ups, it was a ***** to start. I put a new battery in the fall, 425 CA. Is there any common problems with these engines? I thought I read somewhere that the coils went bad, Any Help is appreciated. Thanks

I had a 23 kaw. I would have to try and crank it for at least 20 times before it would fire. If I poured gas straight in the carb it would fire right up. That was if it had not been cranked that day. Once I got it running , I could cut it off and right back on it was fine. If I waited several hours though I would be back to turning it over till I got plenty of fuel back in the carb. Hope you get it fixed very frustrating sometimes.......

Jay19LM
03-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I have seen more choke closing problems on Kawasaki's than any other engine. Most try to move the cable to adjust, but there is an adjusting screw. If the choke isn't closed on a Kawi they ain't gonna start. start there first

jeffslawncare
03-08-2008, 02:58 PM
try changing the spark plugs, also if the weather is getting colder try running 10w 30 oil and when it is warm run 30w oil in it

Tharrell
03-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Glad to see this thread. I have a similar problem with a 19hp 601v. It seems like the fuel pump is not working or not working properly because I too can pour fuel in the carb and it starts up and will eventually run fine. Tony

Dstosh
03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Got the valves adjusted on thursday, seems to be a big difference in starting. I havent let it get real hot to see how it starts then, But the pliminary diagnosis is good.

Thanks for the help all.

Tharrell
04-05-2008, 05:35 AM
My fh601v was extremely hard to start and I thought it was a fuel pump issue at first and then a possible contact issue. It got to the point where the starter gear would stick in the flywheel and the motor wouldn't turn.
The long and the short of it was, the starter brushes were wearing and the more I tried to start it the worse they got to the point of wearing down to the wire. A local rebuilder put me a new end cap with bearing in it for $24 and it fires with authority now. Tony

sdbserv
04-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Check to see if the bushing in the bottom of the starter is worn (you'll be able to wiggle the shaft from side to side where it sticks out of the bottom of the starter). Worn bushings drain alot of power and manke these engines VERY hard to start.

Dstosh
04-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Well, I ran it today a bit more, and it seems like the choke is on, What is the best way to take care of this now? Take the air cleaner off and go from there? Re adjust the valves?

BeautifulBlooms
04-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Mine is on a ferris IS 1500 and it needs a good choking if it is fairly cool out, but in the middle of summer no problems at all. It onyl have 75 hours on it right now though.

BeautifulBlooms
04-06-2008, 12:18 AM
try and lube the cable for the choke and see if it loosens up