PDA

View Full Version : Bad Alternator?

Markf
02-17-2008, 06:23 PM
We have a 2000 F350 7.3l PS. My son got stuck at college with it. AAA came gave him a boost which got him home. A half hour's time to home. This morning I replace the main positive lead with no problem with all new copper lugs and battery post clamp. I jump it and let it run for 1/2 hour. Just went outside and it is dead again. The batteries were recently replaced. The alternator was replaced with a rebuilt 2 years ago. The truck is used for plowing. Any thoughts that the alternator could go bad in 2 years?
Mark

backhoe1
02-17-2008, 06:53 PM
is it charging? put voltmeter leads on batt terminals, 12.6 or less= not charging. should be more like 14.5.

Yes it is possible that a reman could be shot after 2 years. I've pulled alts out of the box that didn't work

cat2
02-17-2008, 06:55 PM
the snow plow is hard on them

Landrus2
02-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Sounds like the alternator is bad.

J&R Landscaping
02-17-2008, 07:55 PM
When you replaced the alt before, did you get a standard or heavy duty unit? It could have been done in 2 years? I've pulled brand new ones out of the box only to find out they were bad.

barefeetny
02-17-2008, 08:10 PM
if it a myers type unit plus plow lights, beacons reverse lights lot of load at idle speeds..... you can tear up alternators quick down quick.

plus if its a low amp cheapo they never last long if your working them hard.

when you start it whats the gauge reading? if you jump it and then disconnect the battery will it die?

grass_cuttin_fool
02-18-2008, 07:34 AM
And the battery may have been discharged so bad that it wont take a charge either....snow plows are hard on electrical systems.....I agree with backhoe....check the alt. output 1st and if that is ok then I would look towards the Batteries

wayne

Markf
02-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Follow up. l replaced the main positive clamp. This was done cheaply by cutting the 3 wires and crimping copper lugs to them and attaching to a new battery clamp. This saved $200. However, even though it needed it, it did not solve the problem. We replaced the alternator and she started up the next day.
According to the local parts store the only alternator available for a F350 is a heavy duty type. Also, I was told to stay away from alternators that are remanufactured by USA because it can impede the electrical system.
Mark