PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filter for Truck?

deere615
02-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Are the K&N replacement high flow air filters any good? One costs about $50 for my truck or should I just go with the paper air filter?

stevenf
02-18-2008, 01:39 AM
I am good friends with a few HIGHLY skilled automotive people that deal with performance/racing cars. All of them tell me that the K&N filters do increase air flow but let to much trash in. None of them use them.

DK lawn care
02-18-2008, 02:33 AM
I dont like K&N and would NV use them. They let to much **** in ur engine. Plus were driving trucks and u really wont feel the diff in perform from a air filter. So its not worth the extra dirt in ur engine.

tras
02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I have AEM Brute Force intake systems in my trucks and I've been pleased with them.

deere615
02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the reponses so far guys, maybe I will get the normal factory one instead. Any one else have an opinion?

GravelyGuy
02-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I would keep it stock for fuel economy and engine life. If you go aftermarket I would stay away from K&N and some of the other paper knockoffs.

topsites
02-19-2008, 02:37 AM
No K&N's for me, I've got a Mr. Gasket high performance intake but it takes a standard $4 paper element I replace every so often... And I still have the OEM intake hardware so like they say, come time to sell it I still got those parts too.
Either way, the Mr. Gasket intake is a standard round air filter, paper, 4 bucks, everybody sells them.

Because what do I do when the element gets dirty, wash it as K&N claims?
Well cold water and a hose ain't getting no grime off no filter, I wish dust was all that got on there but if that was the case I could just take the paper ones and slap them up against the side of the car knock the dirt off, right?
But up under the engine we gots oil and grease gets on them, some kind of way from other cars and the road dirt, all that.
So what do I do, throw it in the washing machine or the dishwasher, that how we clean the K&N's?
There are no instructions whatsoever on what I am supposed to do with the K&N element once it's dirty.
The replacements are dang expensive, like $20+ each.
Oh, hand wash it warm soap and water and then air dry... Why not just throw a $4 paper element in it and be done?

The real reason I dislike K&N thou is they're cheaply made, mostly plastic.
I recently broke my $50 one on the beemer and it ended up costing me $115 to get another USED OEM box because in the process of the modification I had to make I broke the original air filter box.
Not saying this could not have happened with Mr. Gasket's filter, but at least the Mr. Gasket one never breaks because it's made of steel, and it only costs $25. Of course Mr. Gasket don't make one for the bmw, maybe there's a reason for that, I don't know.
But the other thing I don't care for is when I look specifically for an air filter for a bmw all I catch are thousands of ads for the same dang K&N aftermarket garbage and I literally have to sift through that spam to find a proverbial doggone OEM air filter like I'm looking for an OEM needle in a K&N hay stack, wth...

So as you might have guessed, I stay away from them anymore.

DK lawn care
02-19-2008, 02:43 AM
The only time i would switch to a aftermarket filter is for a ford diesel (7.3) and thats the 6637 mod. I have heard that is a really good filter and in the mean time lets in air and filters really well. Its from napa. Im gnna try and fab one up to the v-10. $29.00 for the filter.

02DURAMAX
02-19-2008, 06:30 AM
AEM Brute force dry flow for me!!!!!!

deere615
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys:waving:

44DCNF
02-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Amsoil makes nice filters with better flow and filtration than gauze types.

AmsoilPower
02-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Here is some info that may help you out.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2175.pdf

Save 20-30% off retail with a Amsoil commercial account. Free to sign up.

TXNSLighting
02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
AEM! only way to go!

02DURAMAX
02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
:hammerhead:Here is some info that may help you out.

your always trying to sell arnt you..

44DCNF
02-20-2008, 10:40 AM
:hammerhead:

your always trying to sell arnt you..

...and you seem to like to "always" take little jabs at him.

What kind of businessman would he be if he didn't take advantage of his right to do so? He is honest about the products and not misrepresenting them, can be found faster than you can find qualified help in most home and garden centers, I'm sure he can get an order right all the time, which is way more often than your local parts counter, stock supplier, or fast food joint, he has no axe to grind with anyone, is respectful to the members here, and seems to be very driven to form new relationships, gain new business and treat his customers right, and has a sincere desire to learn as much as he can about the products he is selling. Can you say all that about your local equipment dealer, parts jobber, car salesman, or even medical care professional, to name just a few professions that lack sorely in true concern for the customers needs?

Ridin' Around
02-20-2008, 11:11 AM
...and you seem to like to "always" take little jabs at him.

What kind of businessman would he be if he didn't take advantage of his right to do so? He is honest about the products and not misrepresenting them, can be found faster than you can find qualified help in most home and garden centers, I'm sure he can get an order right all the time, which is way more often than your local parts counter, stock supplier, or fast food joint, he has no axe to grind with anyone, is respectful to the members here, and seems to be very driven to form new relationships, gain new business and treat his customers right, and has a sincere desire to learn as much as he can about the products he is selling. Can you say all that about your local equipment dealer, parts jobber, car salesman, or even medical care professional, to name just a few professions that lack sorely in true concern for the customers needs?

X2, cut the guy some slack! He's selling good stuff that alot of us are buying.

deere615
02-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Here is some info that may help you out.

Thanks I might get one of those

pclawncare
02-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Isnt amsoil a sponsor to lawn site if so that mean that he is one of the reasons this site is even up. Second he then has a right to try and sell his product as he sees fit unlike some of the people that come on this site under fake signatures and try to get free advertising. Personaly i like amsoil products and he is always very helpful and prompt with information. Personaly id like to see him around here for a while and id like to see lawn site around for everyone to use as a wonderful resource. I say keep selling amsoil good stuff if you ask me

steve45
02-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Funny, people that trash K&N haven't used them.

Well, I have. I live in West Texas, which is pretty dusty. I have also driven on a LOT of dirt roads. I installed a K&N air filter on my Tahoe at 80,000 miles. I used to fill up and calculate my gas mileage daily, 17.0 MPG average. After installing the K&N, my mileage immediately jumped to 18.5 MPG. Since installing the K&N, I've put an additional 274,000 miles on this vehicle. Now, with 354,000 miles, it still runs strong as ever, uses about a half quart of oil between changes (5000 miles). During that time, my fuel savings have been approximately 1300 gallons of gas. I really don't understand how mileage can increase on a vehicle that has a MAP sensor and computer controlled mixture, but it did.

I was so impressed with the fuel economy increase that I put one on my '95 Suburban. This model had the old-style, flat, circular filter on top of the engine. Unfortunately, mileage with this setup didn't change measureably. Later on, I bought a 2001 Suburban with a flat, rectangular filter. Again, the K&N didn't improve mileage. I guess there is something about the cylindrical design filter that makes the K&N really shine.

I clean my filters every 50,000 miles with the K&N cleaning kit.

By the way, the K&N filters were offered as the heavy duty filter on GM trucks & Suburbans from the factory. Don't know if they still are or not.

nosparkplugs
02-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Unless an Oil Analysis is done on the engine oil, to check for dirt in oil (silicone) level Scale is 1-10 1 low 10 high this is speculation. I am running an S&B Performance cold air intake 8-layer oiled cotton filter, at the 22,145 oil analysis my silicone level was 7 within range. I have a AMSOIL dual by-pass oil filtration system; hence unless you have a by-pass filters system or change your conventional or retail synthetic oils oil at 3,000 miles your sucking in dirt with that increased CFM.

deere615
02-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Funny, people that trash K&N haven't used them.

Well, I have. I live in West Texas, which is pretty dusty. I have also driven on a LOT of dirt roads. I installed a K&N air filter on my Tahoe at 80,000 miles. I used to fill up and calculate my gas mileage daily, 17.0 MPG average. After installing the K&N, my mileage immediately jumped to 18.5 MPG. Since installing the K&N, I've put an additional 274,000 miles on this vehicle. Now, with 354,000 miles, it still runs strong as ever, uses about a half quart of oil between changes (5000 miles). During that time, my fuel savings have been approximately 1300 gallons of gas. I really don't understand how mileage can increase on a vehicle that has a MAP sensor and computer controlled mixture, but it did.

I was so impressed with the fuel economy increase that I put one on my '95 Suburban. This model had the old-style, flat, circular filter on top of the engine. Unfortunately, mileage with this setup didn't change measureably. Later on, I bought a 2001 Suburban with a flat, rectangular filter. Again, the K&N didn't improve mileage. I guess there is something about the cylindrical design filter that makes the K&N really shine.

I clean my filters every 50,000 miles with the K&N cleaning kit.

By the way, the K&N filters were offered as the heavy duty filter on GM trucks & Suburbans from the factory. Don't know if they still are or not.

Is the cleaning kit expensive, is it hard to do?

Jason Rose
02-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Is the cleaning kit expensive, is it hard to do?

I use the K and N filters as well, though I see there is not many fans on this site... I think they have been around and proven for way to many years to be junk.

The cleaner kit isn't hard at all. You just spray the cleaner on the filter (removed of course) let it sit 10 minutes or so, and then flush really well with water to wash out all the oil and dirt. Once it's back mostly white again let it dry completely and then re-oil following the instructions.

The kit is under $20 I believe, and there's enough cleaner and oil for about 4 or 5 treatments. I clean mine more often than every 50K though... I have the cold air intake "filter charger" model on my GMC, so it picks up probably more junk than a filter in a box or housing would.

CTD_Crazed
02-25-2008, 12:46 AM
i use an Amsoil synthetic fibered filter called a Nanofiber filter. Filters super well and increases air flow a lot. Its a dry filter and just use compressed air to clean it out.

deere615
02-25-2008, 09:46 PM
I use the K and N filters as well, though I see there is not many fans on this site... I think they have been around and proven for way to many years to be junk.

The cleaner kit isn't hard at all. You just spray the cleaner on the filter (removed of course) let it sit 10 minutes or so, and then flush really well with water to wash out all the oil and dirt. Once it's back mostly white again let it dry completely and then re-oil following the instructions.

The kit is under $20 I believe, and there's enough cleaner and oil for about 4 or 5 treatments. I clean mine more often than every 50K though... I have the cold air intake "filter charger" model on my GMC, so it picks up probably more junk than a filter in a box or housing would.

SO would you suggest buying one or no?

Toy2
02-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I bought one(K/N) for my Toyota truck back in 96,v-6 so here we are in 08 and I still have it, 80K on the truck, now I'm not sure how much dirt gets in the engine, don't know how to check for that, but the cost of paper would be in the hundreds of dollars by now. I wash it and reoil it and let it dry, and back on the truck it goes/starts and goes everyday.......so I am happy with them.

Jason Rose
02-25-2008, 10:26 PM
SO would you suggest buying one or no?

Well, when I bought my first one they were pretty much the only one on the market. Now in the last few years I've seen numerous "Copy-cats" that all claim to the the same thing only better... And then there's the newest ones out that don't require the oil (like amsoil filters).

I really can't tell you what to buy, but I believe that ANY filter that restricts the air flow less is going to be better for the engine and fuel economy.

IA_James
02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/how-well-do-k-n-air-filters-work/

http://vettenet.org/knfilter.html

Seems like the general consensus is that they do flow more air, and let more dirt through. How much dirt is up in the air. Chrysler and a few Japanese auto makers sell them as performance kits, so it's probably not outrageous bad.

deere615
02-25-2008, 11:01 PM
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/how-well-do-k-n-air-filters-work/

http://vettenet.org/knfilter.html

Seems like the general consensus is that they do flow more air, and let more dirt through. How much dirt is up in the air. Chrysler and a few Japanese auto makers sell them as performance kits, so it's probably not outrageous bad.

IA_James
02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
You're welcome.:waving: I used to have an '03 Chevy 1/2 ton, I thought it ran pretty good the way it was. With a gasser unless you get into cam, injector, head work, and intake and exhaust manifold changes, you're not going to see much gain. You'd be better off leaving it be, IMHO. The K&N won't keep more dirt out, and doesn't add much power. If it was that easy GM would do it, eh?

steve45
03-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Unless an Oil Analysis is done on the engine oil, to check for dirt in oil (silicone) level Scale is 1-10 1 low 10 high this is speculation. I am running an S&B Performance cold air intake 8-layer oiled cotton filter, at the 22,145 oil analysis my silicone level was 7 within range. I have a AMSOIL dual by-pass oil filtration system; hence unless you have a by-pass filters system or change your conventional or retail synthetic oils oil at 3,000 miles your sucking in dirt with that increased CFM.

Perhaps a little more dirt gets in, I don't know. Increased air flow does not imply decreased filtration. You can increase airflow by increasing filter area and changing the flow geometry. You can't keep all the dirt out, with any type of filter. Filters are rated by the size and percentage of the dirt they keep out. Offhand, I don't know the specs of any of the air filters.

My vehicle has now run 274,000 miles since I installed the K&N filter, for a total of 354,000 miles. This is probably a lot more than most people would run a vehicle. While I don't want to abuse my vehicles, I don't expect them to last forever. With the K&N filter, this vehicle has lasted almost forever, still runs great, and I've saved thousands of dollars.

Funny, Amsoil people must be a cult or something. They always have this sort of superiority mentality, that makes me want to puke. If you look closer, they are all trying to sell you oil & filters from the back of their truck. No thanks!

IA_James
03-01-2008, 01:12 PM
You can increase airflow by increasing filter area and changing the flow geometry.

Yes, but when the only thing being changed is the filter, and all else remains the same (throttle body, intake manifold, intake piping, cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, muffler, etc, etc) it makes me extremely leery of what precisely is allowing such increased flow.

I'm going to delve into personal opinion here for a minute. That truck weighs over 6k lbs. With the trailer on, it's probably over 10. That truck, is not, and never will be, fast. An extra 10 hp is going to be absolutely invisible compared to the 285 it came with. It won't improve drivability. It will cause increased maintenance time, and you'll probably be able to buy quite a few paper filters for what that K&N or whatever costs.

steve45
03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes, but when the only thing being changed is the filter, and all else remains the same (throttle body, intake manifold, intake piping, cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, muffler, etc, etc) it makes me extremely leery of what precisely is allowing such increased flow.

I'm specifically referring to increased filter area, which can alter the flow geometry through the filter.

I'm going to delve into personal opinion here for a minute. That truck weighs over 6k lbs. With the trailer on, it's probably over 10. That truck, is not, and never will be, fast. An extra 10 hp is going to be absolutely invisible compared to the 285 it came with. It won't improve drivability. It will cause increased maintenance time, and you'll probably be able to buy quite a few paper filters for what that K&N or whatever costs.

I don't know if it would increase horsepower, though that's one of the claims. The K&N filters I bought ranged from $25 (I got one wholesale) to $55.

Travel'n Trees
03-03-2008, 02:23 AM
I pulverize dirt plow snow my aem fell apart and could be seen through, my KN holds up and doesn't allow dirt by if properly oiled, and that was a bunch of hype created by ford to hyde their defective air boxes, they do carry a carb number thanks to sema and do not void warranties, I work my personal truck in a dirt field with constant blowing dust.

Lugnut
03-07-2008, 10:51 PM
K&N's hold up in our race cars, both in the big block and small blocks. These cars run dirt tracks and you can just imagine how dusty it gets, especially in the middle of the pack. Theres never any significant amount of dirt found in the motors when they're apart in between seasons, or in the oil which is changed weekly.

Thats enough to make me run them in my truck, I don't see much performance advantages but I save money over time by washing and reusing them. The filter cleaner and oil isn't that expensive either and one bottle and can will last many washings.

deere615
03-08-2008, 09:09 PM
K&N's hold up in our race cars, both in the big block and small blocks. These cars run dirt tracks and you can just imagine how dusty it gets, especially in the middle of the pack. Theres never any significant amount of dirt found in the motors when they're apart in between seasons, or in the oil which is changed weekly.

Thats enough to make me run them in my truck, I don't see much performance advantages but I save money over time by washing and reusing them. The filter cleaner and oil isn't that expensive either and one bottle and can will last many washings.

Thanks seems like alot who run them in dirty onditions say that they are fine:waving: