PDA

View Full Version : Welding Cast Iron

heybruck34
02-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Has anyone had THICK cast iron welded? I am in Charlotte NC and would appreciate a referral if you guys know of anyone nearby.

I inherited an old potbelly wood stove and it has a crack near the bottom. It was patched with some bolts and washers but I'd like to get it "like new" while I don't need to use it.

Moderator- I know this isn't a lawn equipment repair but I figured this was the best forum to get advice due to the nature of repair needed. Thanks.

sawman65
02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
you have to have a welders oven or forge to weld cast.it can be done the whole stove or part has to come up to temp then cooled down as a whole or it will not work

smokediver
02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
You can arc weld cast with nickel rods, or it can be brazed with a acetylene torch and brass rods
If you arc weld it you do have to go slowly and not overheat it or it will crack.
We have welded exhaust manifolds with nickel rods for years.

Landrus2
02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
In the past, cast iron was always difficult to repair: heat the part slowly in an oven, make the weld with a nickel rod, slowly cool the part in an oven--and hope the cast iron would not recrack (it frequently did). Most welders wouldn't even attempt to weld cast iron due to the tempermental nature of such repairs. Fortunately, times have changed. Muggy Weld offers two solutions for cast iron repair: arc electrodes and gas torch rods.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

fastcat
02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
go to the welding web forum those guys over there weldcast all the time

heybruck34
02-18-2008, 07:43 PM
thanks for the replies guys. This isn't something I have the experience, tools, or desire to fix. I've MIG and stick welded but I'd rather get someone who knows what they are doing for the reasons you all mentioned.

Fastcat- I'll check out the welding web forum. Thanks for the nudge in that direction.

sawman65
02-19-2008, 09:59 AM
thanks for getting me up to the times joe. never heard of muggy weld will have to check it out. see you can teach an old dog new tricks lol!

Breezmister
02-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Has anyone had THICK cast iron welded?

Here is a link to the welding websit forum....

http://www.weldingweb.com/index.php

olyman
02-20-2008, 01:38 PM
clean and goove the crack--get cast iron or nickel rod--and weld short spurts---like 1/2 in---and peen it lightly as it cools---the only thing is---most stove iron is not good grade cast----soooooooo--have welded mucho cast----