PDA

View Full Version : sick kohler

cclllc
11-07-2001, 08:17 PM
Guys I have a 22 hp kohler that will only run with the choke open.is it trash ,water,or something worse?

Robert Doubrava
11-07-2001, 09:34 PM
maybe your carb needs adjustment. am i right, guys?

11-07-2001, 09:49 PM
Further symptoms please! (such as easy/hard to start, is it blowing smoke and if so, what colour, is it using oil, and strange or ominous noises?)

I'm a bit :confused: by "choke open" - do you mean it only runs with the choke "on" or choke "off"? Several of our welding machines have 16 horse Onan engines, only time they need the choke "on" is a cold start and even then, once they're running the choke can be moved to the "off" position.

Robert Doubrava
11-07-2001, 09:54 PM
good question,75. if its getting too much gas, the smoke will be black. if its burnin' oil, the smoke will be blue.

khouse
11-08-2001, 01:00 AM
I assume you mean it only runs with the choke closed. Because it's supposed to run with it open.
It sounds like your main jet is plugged. Try running the needle in all the way and back it out 1.5 turns. If it still doesn't run then tear it down,clean and blow it out. Usually this can be done without any parts.

cclllc
11-08-2001, 09:11 PM
sorry,i meant closed.duh.it was running fine.i was doing leaves and cut it off.the govenor was "hunting" thoughr prior to that.
thanks guys.

khouse
11-08-2001, 11:18 PM
When you apply the choke - how long does it run? If it's the main jet plugged then it should run for quite some time. If it's a fuel delivery problem like plugged filter or poor fuel pump then it would probably die after 10 seconds or sooner as soon as the bowl was depleted.

kkeith
11-09-2001, 12:52 AM
Had the same problem here and on several other kohler motors. The problem will be the electronic fuel shut off switch just below the carbs on front of the mower. It sticks almost closed which starves the motor for gas. It will run but only with the choke on. It also makes it a pain to start. Simple to replace yourself but cost around 125.00. Don't let them cut the end of the nipple off. More problems will follow. Low speed, rough running and hard starts.;)