PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do repairs only

Turf King
11-07-2001, 08:47 PM
I was wondering do any of you do just repairs or both, installation and repair.It may be a dumb question but I was just wondering.

HBFOXJr
11-08-2001, 08:01 AM
I think in areas subject to freezing you have to do both to have a steady flow of work even if you have lots of service.

Most people here stick with the installing contractor for service so there is not major opportunity to aquire a volume of accounts to do just service.

Possibly in warm areas where systems run nearly all year long companies might be more specialized,

Turf King
11-08-2001, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info I was just curious.The last year and a half I have been trying to absorb as much info on sprinklers as possible.
I am going to attempt to install a system for my mother and sister in law this spring so I will see how it goes.

HBFOXJr
11-09-2001, 07:27 AM
MY experience tells me it takes about 5 years in a decent size organization to make a good sprinkler man. Design classes are a must. Contact distributors in your area, state university or manufaacturers to find out where you can take design courses. If you want to be good they are a must.

To do one on your own, down load the Residential Design book from Hunter Industries (http://www.HunterIndustries.com) and become familiar with the terminology. This book is excellent for a beginner. Follow their instructions and you can produce an excellent first job.

Once you build a few by the book and take design classes it becomes easier. Every site you get to will not be a text book site, therefore you can't build a text book perfect system. When you hit those spots ask another GOOD PRO or a distributor that has a GOOD, experienced person behind the counter with past install experience. Don't believe anything from a person with no experience. You can also gain valuable knowledge from servicing systems built by the industry cheats and morons. Some things will be what you can get away with in a awkward design situation and others what never to do.

The biggest fault is short cutting design procedures and nozzle sizes to cut material costs and time. Don't do it! Ever! A sprinkler system will be a permanent monument to your skills and knowledge or your incompetance.
Don't fall for the low gallon, water saving theory of small size nozzles. Every landscape needs a ceratin quantity of water per day through out the year. If you down size nozzles, you run the risk of not being able to water long enough every day or two in hot weather to supply an adequate amount of water.

On residential and light commercial jobs I space rotors 30-33 feet apart for head to head coverage and size nozzles to deliver a precipitation rate of .4" per hour more or less. This works very well for my area. Your area could be different.

Also on the Hunter site a downloadable pamphlets on matched precipation nozzles, design and other relevant topics. Read them too.

Turf King
11-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info howard. I definately agree with you on the knowledge level you must have before attempting an install. I am definately going to check out the web site. I do mostly mowing and some light landscaping now I eventually want to move in the direction of irrigation. Where I live theire is just not that much quality in the irrigation area. Most of my work is allready irrigated and you can the lack of knowledge in the lawns.