PDA

View Full Version : moving a tandem axle trailer

BigLag
02-19-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm going to have to upgrade from my 12 ft single axle to a 16 ft tandem. Right now, i can unhook my 12 ft with 2 ztr's and push it underneath my carport. my truck won't make the turn under the carport b/c my fence on the other side of the driveway is really close. anyone have any ideas on how to turn a 16 ft to get it under the carport. will a trailer dolly work?

Ramairfreak98ss
02-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah i doubt your gonna be able to do that, unless your 350lbs and bench press 400 lol.

I have a 1700lb 10k open trailer thats a utility trailer, double axle, with that weight with NOTHING on it, even on its roller jack wheel in the front, its barely moveable on a purely flat surface. forget turning it, just wont happen by hand.

I have lifted the front up with my bucket on the tractor and pushed it around wherever i need it, even with a zero turn on it, but at that its difficult. Your talking about moving 2-4k in weight around by hand.

You had to have hardly any tongue weight on your single axle to move it around while lifting it up right? :p:weightlifter:

BigLag
02-19-2008, 03:51 PM
sorry for posting this question...after thinking about the mechanics and what not...i know it just ain't gonna happen...thanks for your response ramair...im probably just gonna have to get an enclosed trailer so i can just leave it outside.

nt1
02-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Have you thought about using a manual or powered winch?

You might be able to mount one on the rear of your trailer and pull it back in there. Just need a wheel on your jack.

radgeezer
02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I had a similar situtation about 35 or 40 years ago when I had to unload firewood next to a basement window behind the house.I fabbracated a frame hitch on the front of my truck and pushed it in.Kind of like using a fork lift.(rear wheel steering).
Of course the trucks were a lit easier to work on then. Good Luck!!!By the way you have to re-hitch on back before going down the road.

LawnGuy73
02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Do you have an ATV, if so that will work nicely.

BigLag
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
no..wish i did, but then might not ever get any work done...i found a guy locally who sells enclosed trailers for a couple grand less than the competetors...going to see it possibly tomorrow...i think thats my best bet, b/c then i wont have to turn it under the carport...i could just leave it in the driveway...thanks all.

JRS Landscaping
02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
they sell an electric powered dolly for this purpose, i forgot where i saw it though

Ooomwizard
02-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Can you put a ball on a Zero Turn rider and move it???

(I'd like to know too.)

Mimowerman
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
If the surface is hard(ashpalt or concrete ) you can move a tandem axle trailer around with something called a go jack - http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/uni-5000.html
expensive but they are made quite well and will last forever, and you only need one pair
I have seen it done myself on a 16 ft open trailer loaded with two z's , can be pushed with one guy but two is easier . best of luck , oh and you can just send me the extra money you saved by not buying a new trailer !:drinkup:

3day240sx
02-21-2008, 08:31 PM
An enclosed sounds like your best idea. Just leave your 12' under the carport for whenever you have to move debris b/c with the enclosed tailer your lawn cleanups are not going to be as easy.

P&C Lawn Care
02-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Can you move the fence?

Ramairfreak98ss
02-22-2008, 08:35 PM
If the surface is hard(ashpalt or concrete ) you can move a tandem axle trailer around with something called a go jack - http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/uni-5000.html
expensive but they are made quite well and will last forever, and you only need one pair
I have seen it done myself on a 16 ft open trailer loaded with two z's , can be pushed with one guy but two is easier . best of luck , oh and you can just send me the extra money you saved by not buying a new trailer !:drinkup:

thats neat looking

lifetree
02-22-2008, 09:49 PM
they sell an electric powered dolly for this purpose, i forgot where i saw it though

This is what I was going to suggest !!

lifetree
02-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Can you put a ball on a Zero Turn rider and move it ?? ...

Yes, you can ... I've heard of people putting a ball on a ZTR and using it to pull a boat out of the water !! If it can do that, it can move a utility trailer around the driveway a little bit.

lifetree
02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
The Gojak looks like it would be of some use, although I'm not sure how it would work exactly !!

Ooomwizard
02-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Kool!

Ball on the ZTR ftw!

Mimowerman
02-24-2008, 06:47 PM
The Gojak looks like it would be of some use, although I'm not sure how it would work exactly !!

the problem with a tandem axle trailer is the two tires are working against each other when you turn , especially sharply . With two go jacks , you place one on each side of the trailer on either axle, and lift one wheel on both sides up , off the ground slightly , so that wheel offers no resistance. Now it is as easy as backing/pushing a single axle trailer in place. obviously this will only work on smaller tandem axle trailers , don't try with a 10k loaded enclosed trailer !!! Good Luck

Ooomwizard
02-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I use this....

I have a boat trailer with tandem axles and it's a biootch to turn it. I unfortunately have to parallel park the boat/trailer in a storage facility parking place. It takes up every inch of the space (25' long, with the trailer tongue off) and if some goober parks their car or trailer too close to my front hitch I can't get the boat out of the slot. Even with the roller jack the tandems wont let it turn hardly at all.

I bought a pair of CAR MOVER DOLLY'S. (It's a little curved tire dolly with 4 wheels on the corners) I use a quik lift roller car jack, put a car dolly under one wheel, then put a car dolly on the other side and I can roll my boat any which-a-ways. Careful on a slope cause it will go downhill! If you're good you can get away with one car dolly and a roller jack.

GL

Mark in ATL

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 12:20 AM
how bout this?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj28/Baileylandscape/37510.gif

topsites
02-28-2008, 05:29 AM
Forget it, get a hitch put on the front of your truck, not the first time I've seen it.

By the way, if you don't have a CDL check your state's requirements on GVWR and specifically trailers...
Here in VA you're fine up to 26,001 combined BUT the trailer itself can't be over 10,000 and it varies from state to state.

Ooomwizard
02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
That T-Handle dolly won't help overcome the turning friction of the tandem axles when moving.

It will save your back if ya normally hump around your single by hand!