PDA

View Full Version : how large can palms be transplanted ?

woodbutcher44
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
I just bough a house with 12 or 15 large palms on the property that I don't want. Ive heard that some co's want these large trees for hotels ,parks,ect....
Does anyone know of a co. in west central fl. that does this type of thing? Any info would be great.

capelawncare.com
02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
what kind of palms and how large?

woodbutcher44
02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
2 or 3 35 ft. most around 55 ft. the kind is a mistery to me but there are no thorns . I will post pics later today.

woodbutcher44
02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
the ffront drive to the hillbilly hole

woodbutcher44
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
not a good camera at all. the top of one

tamadrummer
02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
They are Washingtonian or Mexican Fan Palms, you can have them transplanted but since they are so common, no one in their right mind is going to want to do it.

You can list them on Craigslist for free, someone just needs to come and get them out of the ground.

(edit- I could be wrong, they may be Sabal/Palmetto palms I cannot tell but to me they look like Mexican Fan Palms)

Someone with a sharper eye can better tell

MarcSmith
02-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Actaully they are sabal palms or Commonly referred to Cabbage Palms The fronds have have bend to them that curls around under the leafy part, where as the mexi's are fairly flat.

Mexican fan palm and Washingtonian are one in the same that have nasty thorns, and usually the old fronds persist on the trunk. unlike sbal palms in which the trunks are generally self cleaning. Plus the trunks of the mexi are more of an orange brown in color...

You could always give Dinseys Hort Department a call...l. My dads neighbor gave 2 50' royal palms to Disney, They came and got them but the royal palms are but more rare....

But Tall cabbage palms are a dime a dozen...whel not quite that cheap, but they are easy and fast growers. I woudl not hold too much hope...But you might get lucky...

woodbutcher44
02-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info folks . I'll post a few ads .if no luck I'll be cuttin some palms up. I think they are messy. I remove a full size truck of droppings every week. to much to deal with .

MarcSmith
02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
when they get that tall its tough to keep em clean unless you have bucket truck or real long ladders.

woodbutcher44
02-21-2008, 08:33 AM
when I'm done with them clean up will be done with a mower lol. how many years does it take to get that tall?

MarcSmith
02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I think palms can grow about a foot a year.....Depends on fert, sun, rain, ect.....

woodbutcher44
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I am the onlo one in the sub with palms .I was told the were planted only 15 or 16 years ago .But the fella that told me that is one of those people that know every thing. Ive even made up stuff to see what he thinks, and he has had it used it broke it fixed it sold it and found something even better. got a sod rotter?nope sold it last month . You seen the new hover mower yep my brothers best friend is on the development tean.Sh1t the only reason I talk to him is to see how far he will go with the story haaahaaahaaa

kelleys lawn&landscape
02-21-2008, 03:03 PM
those tall sabel palms are 75 to a hundred years old the bent ones are wort the most maybe 200 my parents company averages about 7000 of them a year we got a guy out of perry fl ill see if he would dig them i dont think hell pay because he has to buy ag stickers for them ill let you know in a day or 2

woodbutcher44
02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks I look foward to hearing from you .
wher is perry