PDA

View Full Version : diesel or gas 3/4 ton ??

P.Services
02-20-2008, 11:03 PM
with diesel at $3.50 and gas at $2.90 is it worth buying a diesel truck over a gasser?

a gas engine can go 200k miles easy
gas engines are cheaper to maintain
diesel will get a little better mpg
diesel will pull better but a gas can pull the same but slower
gasser is cheaper up front

im looking to get a new 3/4 ton truck soon what do you guys think about this?

Wrobel#1
02-20-2008, 11:21 PM
the beneift i think is more power on a diesel. but if you work local and don't do much traveling i would go with a gas. less problems and cheaper maintenace

KTM
02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Unless your towing all of the time, or driving more than average like, 30k or more a year i would go with a gas truck. just tonight I went by the gas station and gas went up .09 and diesel went up .19 cents. plus you here bad things about the emissions on the new diesel's, weather there true or not I don't know. I will most likely be going back to gas next time, I just don't pull enough with my truck to justify the diesel expense. It is nice to be able to put 200k on a truck and still have a demand for it though.

CALandscapes
02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Are you going to eventually replace your truck? Diesel's hold their value much better than gas. Personally, I like diesel, but that's just me.

P.Services
02-20-2008, 11:41 PM
my truck has a trailer hooked to it every day in the summer but a gas engine pulls every thing a diesel will just a little slower.

LindblomRJ
02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
How many miles total a year are you planning to put on this pickup?

Anything less then 15K I would give gas a good look.

Diesel's ads about $8K to the initial purchase price. Mileage might be better. But at $3.50/gallon and gas at $2.90 that is 60 cent a gallon difference.

A 35 gallon tank of Diesel cost $122.5 where a tank of gas at 35 gallons runs 101.5. Or $21 more a tank full for diesel.

Trade in will be better for a diesel.

In all honesty I am happy with my gas powered 3/4 ton.

P.Services
02-20-2008, 11:56 PM
i do about 15k-20k per year, i dont ever plan on selling the truck i just keep running them. i have always wanted a diesel truck for the power and just the fact that its a diesel but i just dont know if the number line up to justify the purchase. i am going to buy a f-550 with a diesel so maybe i should go for a gas in my truck.

up until a few days ago i swore i would never buy a 3/4 ton. i planned on buy a gmc canyon 4x4 4 door as my truck to run around in and any other truck was going to be a f-450 or f-550 dumper. but after i drove a canyon for a week with my head rubbing on the headliner and my chin resting on my knees i dont think i can drive a little truck anymore.

TPLawnPro
02-21-2008, 12:47 AM
I will run diesel as long as I can afford the fuel.

By going with a diesel powered truck, I have experienced zero engine or transmission issues, I get greater torque out of the engine - resulting in effortless towing capability, and finally - uncontested reliability - especially as the mileage adds up.

P&C Lawn Care
02-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Diesel has been cheaper during the summer months.

Monte22
02-21-2008, 03:33 AM
I just bought a new gasser. I own 2 duramax's, but I do not think they are worth it any more. I do not usually keep a truck for more than 5 years. It will be gas for now on.

YardBoss Lawncare
02-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Diesel's the only way to go.:hammerhead: One word for ya....Cummins:weightlifter:

Landrus2
02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
If you donít need the torque gas is fine.:waving:

CALandscapes
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Diesel's the only way to go.:hammerhead: One word for ya....Cummins:weightlifter:

I have the exact same truck but a 2008. I love it.

Marek
02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
So if its going to be your truck then get the diesel, but if its a crew truck save the up front money and go gas. I usually dont keep trucks forever so the next one will be a 1 ton with the tourqeshift or allison and a gas motor extra cab and ac. Run it for 4-5 yrs then pull the plow off to put on the next one and trade whats left in. In the past I have bought 350 Lariets for myself and when I replaced them handed them down . Now new trucks are just to damn expensive.

MnDLawn
02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Parts are also cheaper for a gaser when it is out of warranty.

With the price of fuel, cost of the diesel, and reliability concerns with some, I would go with gas.

MarcSmith
02-21-2008, 11:20 AM
if you alot of your running is around town, you could always get a gasser with a taller rear end gear to help with the pulling power. most 3/4 tons have a heavier tranny than the 1/2 ton counterparts.

I had a 98 2500 chevy 5.7 long bed gasser pulling a 14' wells cargo with two ztrs. my farthest account was 10 miles so even in that stop and go the dsl mileage would suck. Its the body, frame, and interior parts that are going to go first.

Yes a DSL will garner more at trade in time... but is it enough to offset the initial cost.

fastcutter
02-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Dmax is the only one to have.. We run them all.. Ford, Dodge...Chevy got the all beat..

grassmanak
02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
i have been debating the same thing for the last year, i would like to have a diesel, but the gas just makes more sense to me. The only downfall i have found is that you cannot tow a big trailer at high speeds with the gas

MarcSmith
02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
The only downfall i have found is that you cannot tow a big trailer at high speeds with the gas

Can you elaborate? I've towed 16-18' enclosed and open trailers with gassers at 70 with no problems...bear in mind when you' re towing you really should watch the speeds anyhow...

P.Services
02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
i have been debating the same thing for the last year, i would like to have a diesel, but the gas just makes more sense to me. The only downfall i have found is that you cannot tow a big trailer at high speeds with the gas

i have put over 20,000 pounds behind my dodge with a 5.9 gas and crusied at highway speeds. i really would like to buy a diesel but i cant find one huge advantage they have over a gasser. yeah they pull faster and better but at the end of the day what did it save me??? i get back to the shop 10min sooner???

OhioMowerGuy
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I still think its worth it to own a diesel, just not as much as 4-5 years ago. Yeah diesel costs 3.35 here where im at and gas is 2.99, but come spring time gas is gonna be 3.50-4.00 and diesel will be near what the current diesel prices are. It happens every year. Spring 07 gas was around 3.50 and diesel was 2.75 but 3 months before that in january or february gas was around 2.40 I think and diesel was 2.75. It happens every damn year. So what im saying here it buy whatever you want. I'd buy a diesel.

YardBoss Lawncare
02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I agree. Yeah, maybe it's more of a want than a need, but I know my $715 a month is going towards owning something that I really like and want and can do anything I want to do very easily. Diesels are much more capable when it comes to hauling, towing, etc... I've had the Ford 5.4 V8, the 6.8 V10, Chevy 5.7 V8, Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel, Ford 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, Ford 6.0 Powerstroke diesel, and now this 5.9 Cummins. I like the Cummins alot, but am thinking about going to a Duramax next time because Ive rode in a few that belong to some buddies and I like their cab and comfort. I hear that in 2010 theyre coming out with a new one called an "UltraMax".

OhioMowerGuy
02-21-2008, 03:43 PM
diesels in 2010 will probably be choked by emmisions so bad that it wouldnt be worth owning one, I hope not though.

YardBoss Lawncare
02-21-2008, 03:47 PM
We could probably chip them and get the juice back when that happens. Although, I havent messed with mine due to the fact I dont want to void the warranty. I did chop the caty conv off of it though when I first bought it. I left the stock muffler on. That caty conv holds in too much heat and shortens the life of the turbo.

OhioMowerGuy
02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah I could live with a cat and egr valve on my truck. But not a dpf and god only knows what they are gonna think up next. lol. Your 5.9 doesnt have a egr valve and you cut your cat off so you are emissions free right now. Thats the way to go.

YardBoss Lawncare
02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
:weightlifter::weightlifter:

P.Services
02-21-2008, 05:28 PM
but I know my $715 a month is going towards owning something that I really like and want and can do anything I want to do very easily.

i think that line hit the nail on the head, i agree 100%

a little math question for you guys now....

how do i figure how much interest i am going to pay on a $30,000 loan per month??

i divide 30k by 60 (60 month loan)= $500 per month before interest
then i multiply 500 by my interest rate .09% to = $45 per month interest
so 45x60= 2700 total in interest

is my math right or am i figuring something wrong

OhioMowerGuy
02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
your math sounds right to me.

ALarsh
02-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Those that say a gas engine can't pull a load at highway speed has never pulled with a gas engine 3/4 ton truck. Sometimes you guys make me laugh.

My 6.0 Vortec did not downshift once pulling 6,000 lbs on the highway at 70 mph for 250 miles.

Marek
02-21-2008, 07:53 PM
6000 lbs is nothing to any of these trucks! I know around here Ford and Chevy have 0 percent on thier trucks right now. But what you should do is compare that with the low apr and look at the how much you save in the long run. Most times it works out to take the cash back. Google loan amitorazation chart and put you numbers in. Which ever truck you choose you'll be happy they are all nice. You should also check with some of the other local guys and see which dealer gives the best service. My dealer if I drop off a truck for service gives me the keys to whatever I want and if need be he will have my truck brought out to me when its done. Little things like that make all the difference.

GravelyNut
02-21-2008, 08:23 PM
If you donít need the torque gas is fine.:waving:

And if you need torque, get a bigger engine. Told the local Chevy dealer I won't be buying a new truck anytime soon because they canned the 8.1L. The 8.1 will run with the Diesels as far as torque goes and will wind to road speed faster. Why? Because my 8.1 is geared 4.10 to 1 while most of the Dmax are geared 3.73 to 1. And it is all about what you get at the rear axle that counts.

Rhett
02-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Have had both gas and diesel. Liked the diesel for the milage and pulling power. Didn't like the diesel when it broke. Parts where double what I paid for parts on the same model gas. Forget the name of the company but they are supposed to start importing one ton turbo four cylinder trucks in 09. Basic trucks lots of towing capcity at around 20 thousand base. Basically a small tractor. Drove some similar overseas and loved them. Best part is towing they still get over 30. Just right for me

YardBoss Lawncare
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, but those gas engines have to downshift and really rap up in order to try and stay in the mirror view of a diesel when lugging a load down the highway. Especially if your're pulling something that catches alot of drag (enclosed trailer, Bobcat, tractor on a gooseneck, etc...) A diesel will keep on lugging up hills at around 2,000 RPM. No comparison. That's why you don't see 18 wheelers running around with gas engines in them or hot shots using gas engines in their trucks.

TPLawnPro
02-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah, but those gas engines have to downshift and really rap up in order to try and stay in the mirror view of a diesel when lugging a load down the highway. Especially if your're pulling something that catches alot of drag (enclosed trailer, Bobcat, tractor on a gooseneck, etc...) A diesel will keep on lugging up hills at around 2,000 RPM. No comparison. That's why you don't see 18 wheelers running around with gas engines in them or hot shots using gas engines in their trucks.

Good post LDH. What you stated sums it up.

The diesel engine is just an entirely different breed of animal.

mowman84
02-22-2008, 01:49 AM
I would like to get a cummins.

J&R Landscaping
02-23-2008, 02:07 PM
i think that line hit the nail on the head, i agree 100%

a little math question for you guys now....

how do i figure how much interest i am going to pay on a $30,000 loan per month??

i divide 30k by 60 (60 month loan)= $500 per month before interest
then i multiply 500 by my interest rate .09% to = $45 per month interest
so 45x60= 2700 total in interest

is my math right or am i figuring something wrong

This link should help! http://www.southjerseymowers.com/loan-calc.asp