PDA

View Full Version : Your view on 2cycle synthetic ? break in

turfeater
02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I may have already messed up ..I didn't even think about 2 cycles needing a break in period ..Last year I bought a new kaw 600 something series hedge trimmer ,,I ended up buying a quart of royal purple ..for all my 2 cycle stuff and started using it in the new kaw ..I think it's 23 cc ..It has ran about 20 hours and still has great compression, better then new I think.

Should I switch at this point to dino oil ? ?

-- at any rate I am switching all my other stuff to a different syn ..

This summer I was on a large trimming job ,with limited time ....
when all of a sudden the kaw was starting hard and over a 1/2 hour loosing power to the point where ir would barely run .. when thru the regular checks nothing binding and fuel and spark ,, Luckly I decided to check the spark arester screen ...sure enough it was clogged took it out cleaned and back running ..I always try to go a little heavier on the oil mix then less ...But
in my MHO this should not happen this early with synthetic
Any way have already ordered some klotz 200..
thanks rt

Ridin' Around
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
two cycle does not require a break-in period. my personal choice is Amsoil synthetic. go synthetic and never look back! Go look at some of the recent posts in other threads, Synthetic is a very hot topic on LS right now.

khouse
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I've used Amsoil 2 stroke oil since the late 70's. I also run Amsoil in my 4 strokes too. Never a problem. I run the 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 80 to 1. I never have done anything different as to breaking in a 2 stroke engine.

Oldtimer
02-23-2008, 09:35 AM
My fuel of choice since 1983 has been Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1. This was the only fuel used on 2 lawn maintenance crews, everything we sold in the store and everything we serviced in our shop for several years. We had "0" fuel related problems with this mix. We have sold and serviced thousands of 2 cycle & 4 cycle engines fueled with Opti-2, mixed @ 100:1.

Oldtimer

grass_cuttin_fool
02-23-2008, 11:16 AM
I use the dino oil.......far as break in.....maybe take it easy the 1st tank .....then run them hard as ya want....havent ever seen where it made any difference

wayne

Happy Frog
02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Echo Powerblend 50:1 or Amsoil 100:1 for the first 10 hours.
After that, run them like you stole them with Amsoil 80:1

turfeater
02-23-2008, 01:23 PM
I'll be switching to amsoil in the future ,,thanks a lot for the info .
I've heard many good things with this oil . Where's the best price + place to buy ?

Also If manufacture recommends 50/1 can I safely mix to 80 or 100/1 ?
Most all my sthil and kaw stuff is 50

I know this is a opinion thing ,,so I guess I'm really asking the mechanics out there,.. how much run time and how much wear on torn down engines have you seen ? Hows the deposits with amsoil ?

thanks already ron

Happy Frog
02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I recommend using it at 80:1 in handheld equipment (Amsoil Saber Pro).

khouse
02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Amsoil warranties any oil related failures if your running their oil at 100 to 1 and commercial rated engines at 80 to 1.

AmsoilPower
02-26-2008, 12:30 AM
I've heard many good things with this oil . Where's the best price + place to buy ?

The best price is a commercial account and order directly from Amsoil. I can set you up if needed.