PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum vs Steel Trailers

SW Landscape Maintenance
02-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Is there a big difference between aluminum vs steel weight wise. I would love a dump trailer and when you are going to invest in a piece of equipment I like to know all the details. I know this, that aluminum is alot more money and because of that reason I would want to keep it long term.......and also factor in the cost of fuel. Just how much savings would I generate over a 10yr or 15yr period. I think it would be smart purchase. I don't plan on hauling heavy equipment.....for now, all I have is a Walker (riding lawn mower). Could really use the dump for the fall cleanups and I fork off grass clippings every day in the summer and fork off leaves twice a day in the fall season. Thanks in advanced guys!:canadaflag:

GravelyGuy
02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
An Aluminum trailer would last forever if you took good care of it and kept your load within the weight limit. How much more are finding that they cost compared to steel?

SPLC
02-22-2008, 04:21 PM
We've got a 14' aluminum tandem trailer and bent the tounge pretty badly hauling mulch in it. It's a Forest River brand rated at 7k I think, we just had too much weight forward. Weight wise I think it was 400 lbs lighter, cost at least $1,000 more than steel. More like $1500 as I remember. Braced the tounge with some 2x6 box steel and now we have a lightweight hauler.

SW Landscape Maintenance
02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Anybody else have any thoughts or ideas on aluminum vs steel trailers. One company near where I live , build custom aluminum trailers. Not sure how to put the direct link in but the company is called KELLY TRAILERS . Thanks.:canadaflag: