PDA

View Full Version : Project solar lighting ideas?

jhuanger629
02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you had experience doing any solar lighting projects. I have an inquiry about accenting a tower that sits in the middle of a lake that I need some brainstorming help with.

We generally focus on path/accent aesthetics but were asked to do something green/innovative with this. Any ideas?

I've included an image below.

JoeyD
02-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Very cool, I wish I could offer you some options!? Good Luck though, would love to see what you come up with!

jhuanger629
02-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Definitely racking the brain, unfortunately 'aesthetically' pleasing versions of what they're asking for are limited.

keep you guys posted

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Contact John Higo at TC Lighting. (My Distributor). He has recently put together an economical and effective Solar generation, storage, and control system that might be able to help you out. He can be reached at 416-298-2101 or johnh@turfcare.ca

Regards

jhuanger629
02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks James, will definitely be giving him a call. Or perhaps simply forwarding along his contact as a solution

ChampionLS
02-22-2008, 03:29 AM
We use a company out of Long Island.

Contact Shay Granov
Optilight Ltd.
535 Broadhollow Rd. Suite B-11
Melville, NY 11747
646-290-6200
www.optilight.biz

johnh
02-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey jhuanger,
John Higo here that James so nicely referred to...thanks James...I do check this site somehwat infrequently, wish I had more time to be on regularly.
Anyway, down to the problem at hand. Feel free to pm me if you would like, but I'll try to help as much as I can here. Solar is a lot more involved in some ways than traditional power source. What we have been promoting, is not using individual solar powered fixtures (haven't seen any of decent quality) but using solar power for our existing fixtures. Combine that with LED technology, and you can do some pretty creative things. Couple of questions for you, first we need to determine your load, then we need to determine your run time, do you want these on all night? Then we need to determine what kind of autonomy you would need. Is it critical for safety that these lights are always on? What area of the country are you in? I see they already have a small array on the tower, what is the power output of that, or are you supplying your own? What is the intent of lighting the tower? Safety, aesthetic?
IF you could supply a few more details, would be great.

John H

johnh
02-22-2008, 01:28 PM
One more question, are there other environmental concerns (dark skies etc.) that need to be addressed?
The power solution is relatively simple, once you come up with the design, and other requirements.
There are others in this forum defintitely better equipped to assist with design, than I, but at first glance, I would say you could either use some linear lighting or soft downlighting under the first overhang. For the upper part, your biggest challenge I see is hiding wires, because of this, I would likely try to light from the inside, highlighting the window areas, or just general illumination of the inside.
Guys, what say you?

John

Lite4
02-22-2008, 03:40 PM
what is that thing used for.

irrig8r
02-22-2008, 05:47 PM
what is that thing used for.

That's the judges tower for the submarine races :-)

Lite4
02-23-2008, 02:47 AM
That's the judges tower for the submarine races :-)

Sorry Gregg, I guess I missed the photo with the underwater viewing windows. Thanks for clearing that up.:laugh:

JoeyD
02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
So what was the end result here?