PDA

View Full Version : painting wire?

Mike M
02-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Any tips on painting cable or heatshrink tubing for that extra "concealment?"

Also, while on the topic, anyone use the stuff they make for indoor molding to cover wires?

Any other concelament tips besides simply hiding it all together, for those areas where is has to be exposed?

Thanks in advance.

Pro-Scapes
02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I need to paint some for a pergola we did. Didnt know Unique had white wire when I did it but I will brush on a bit of primer then use an exterior latex base. I put in an email to Paige about the white wire but no reply.

Mike M
02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Unique put a very nice white 12 gauge lead on a fixture for me.

I'll try the primer & latex.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
When it comes up I do paint the wire to match the home. So far so good. I have some that I did 9 years ago and it is holding up just fine. Make sure you use a good quality latex or alkyd exterior paint to stand up the the sunlight. It isnt my fav. concealment technique but it does do the job... sometimes takes 2 to 3 coats to get good coverage.

My fav. concealment technique is to mill up cedar trims. This is custom work at its best... Mill the trims, sand them, cap the wire, then paint or stain to match. The clients really appreciate the attention to detail.

Regards.

Mike M
02-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Wow, in time I guess.

I was proud of myself today just for some fish-taping. I also bought a grinder blade for cutting concrete and brick mortor, with concrete caulk for covering.

Pro-Scapes
02-21-2008, 10:43 PM
You can buy pre dadoes trim piece for hiding wires. These come in handy for deck lights altho I still like the carey technique for these. If your going to custom mill pieces you best be charging for it. Its real time consuming.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Oh I charge for them Billy.... dont think for a moment I don't

1: Select the lumber and truck it home
2: Rip the 2x4x10' into 2x3/4x10'
3: Dado a 3/8ths channel up the back side of the pieces
4: Transport to site
5: Cut each piece to length
6: Sand until smooth
7: Tack in place with finishing nails
8: Cap the ends, mitre cut where necessary
9: Pain or stain to match.

Yes it is a lot of work.... but my clients never see wire.

Chris J
02-22-2008, 09:52 PM
That was a very dramatic explanation that could have been described better in USA terms:
Get some trim, cover the wire.
Pretty simple stuff huh? Funny how those Canadians like to make things overly complicated?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Nice Chris... more condescention. Whats up with you lately?

Have a great day.

NightScenes
02-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I 3 Planters has a trim piece that is great for concealing wires. You can contact them at www.i3planters.net . They have some pretty cool products.

Mike M
02-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks Paul!!

hey chris and james, don't forget your smilies.:cry:

Chris J
02-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Nice Chris... more condescention. Whats up with you lately?

Have a great day.

Just having some fun James. Don't be so tense.

JoeyD
02-26-2008, 09:51 AM
We would paint wire all the time. We also use corner round trim for higding wire up posts. Somethign esle we began doing and teaching is on homes where copper is prevelant we would run copper tubing and allow it to patina. Not sure what code is on this but I know it looks great!