PDA

View Full Version : kohler wont stay running

leej
02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
my kohler engine (CV16S) will not continue to run after start up. It runs for approx. 3 seconds and then stops. You have to pour a bit of gas in the carb. to get it started and then is immediately stops. The carb has been cleaned and it appears to be getting gas. I assume the electrical is OK or it wouldn't run at all. Help.....

MowerMedic77
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
First let me start by saying WELCOME TO LAWNSITE:waving:

You have a fuel issue, if you pour gas into the carb and it runs off that fuel then dies this shows me that your carb is not pulling its own fuel from the bowl. You say the carb has been cleaned please tell me exactly what you have done to this point or explain how you cleaned the carb.

Restrorob
02-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Another thing to check is the fuel cut-off solenoid holding the float bowl in place (if equipped). Make sure you have power (battery voltage) going into it and that it clicks when you turn the key to the run position.

MowerMedic77
02-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Another thing to check is the fuel cut-off solenoid holding the float bowl in place (if equipped). Make sure you have power (battery voltage) going into it and that it clicks when you turn the key to the run position.

Good point Rob, forgot some of these have the solenoid.

leej
02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
it has a new fuel solenoid which does click when the ign is turned on...carb was removed and dipped in cleaning solution. all orifices seem clear...the starting prob. existed prior to cleaning the carb...thanks.

topsites
02-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I would replace that inline fuel filter for the time being, knock out one possibility at a time, the air filter too.
Don't forget to turn the gas back on after you replace the fuel filter, and make sure the tank has a good amount in it heheh

leej
02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
has new air and fuel filter...will try more fuel in tank. Thanks

MowerMedic77
02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
it has a new fuel solenoid which does click when the ign is turned on

Now you need to check that the power stays @ the solenoid when the key switch goes from start to run. Make a quick jumper wire from the solenoid the battery positive cable and try and start, just make sure to disconnect after you shut it down. If it does stay running you need to trace back to find out were you are loosing the 12volts @ to the solenoid.

topsites
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
has new air and fuel filter...will try more fuel in tank. Thanks

How about the spark plug, gap .030, just to be sure.

Beyond that might pull the carb bowl. Watch out there's some small parts like to go flying but clean all that out with either compressed air or some carb cleaner, make sure that float is moving freely.

Restrorob
02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Now you need to check that the power stays @ the solenoid when the key switch goes from start to run.

Good point MM,
I had a Dixie come in last week with hard/no start and found the customer replaced the switch with the wrong one. It was in deed dropping power half way through the start position swing.

leej
02-22-2008, 10:03 PM
bypassed the fuel solenoid, did not correct problem. Must be something blocked in the carb. I'll take it down again and drop it back in the carb cleaner bucket. Thanks to all for the assistance!

Restrorob
02-22-2008, 10:09 PM
After soaking use a spray can of carb & choke cleaner with the little straw and spray it through every port and passage while watching if it exits the other end. Follow with compressed air if available. You may need to run a piece of small wire through a port to open it up, I use a torch tip cleaner for this.

Good Luck

smokediver
02-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Does this particular engine have a fuel pump? I know a lot of Kohler's do. That could be the problem.
You could check it by disconnecting the fuel line, sticking it in a small bottle and cranking the engine over.
The pump is also often higher than the fuel tank or the carb to prevent siphoning.

topsites
02-23-2008, 05:15 PM
This may or may not help, but this is from an automotive diagnostics:

Engine starts, but stops immediately
» Loose or faulty electrical connections in the ignition circuit.
» Vacuum leak at the carburetor, throttle body, or inlet manifold.
>> AIR leak!
» Faulty carburetor.
» Fuel injection system fault

Makes me wonder, maybe the carb-to-manifold gasket?
Also might look into an ignition rebuild kit.

leej
02-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Got it running after another carb soak and cleaning. Must have been some small bit of dirt or ?? in one of the carb passages. Thanks to all for your help!! Lee

bob_t442
04-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Now you need to check that the power stays @ the solenoid when the key switch goes from start to run. Make a quick jumper wire from the solenoid the battery positive cable and try and start, just make sure to disconnect after you shut it down. If it does stay running you need to trace back to find out were you are loosing the 12volts @ to the solenoid.

I've got a similar problem - the fuel supply to the carb is fine but the solenoid refuses to energize. The engine will run on fuel poured into carb throat. One of the wires leading to the 4-terminal connector looks to have a fusible link in it, which has fried through the insulation. This fried wire leads up to something under the flywheel. A look at the engine diagram shows this could be leading to the stator. Do these ever go bad? Is the stator connected with the switching of the solenoid?

Bob

Restrorob
04-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Bob,

Sounds like your in need of a new stator, Diodes can blow but isn't that common.

Depending on the unit some charging systems connect through the ignition switch while some are wired directly to the battery or battery post on the starter solenoid.

The charging system is wired separately from the fuel cut-off solenoid, So if the fuel solenoid is good and getting voltage it will work without the charging system.

bob_t442
06-07-2009, 01:25 PM
RestoRob - SUCCESS!!!
I did get the new stator and that cured the electrical issues. The only other problem was a gummy carburetor and that's all it was. The machine is now functioning well and I've started using the fuel stabilizer to avoid the carb goo from forming again.
I truly appreciate your assistance with getting this machine back to life.

Bob

VegetiveSteam
06-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Is this on a Craftsman?

bob_t442
06-09-2009, 03:44 AM
No, my machine is a Scotts (by John Deere) sold by Home Depot in 1999 with a CV16S-43526 Kohler engine.

Bob

smokediver
06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Must be something in the air. My Scag started the same thing yesterday.
Was running and mowing and just died. I noticed 2 days ago it would sputter occasionally. Kohler, 24 hp, air cooled. Will start, but dies immediately. If I hit start, it will fire again and run a couple more seconds (I know, hard on the starter) so I'm sure it's an ignition/spark problem. I did notice the couple seconds it runs the amp meter doesn't show any charge.
I was wondering if the ignition fires from the battery at start and the stator at run. If so, a bad stator would make perfect sense.
Checked for bad wires, fuses, and relays all seemed ok. Checked the key switch, even plugged in another one, no luck.
Any suggestions, or other ideas? Thanks.